got a new 200$ graphics card, but it won't run ftb like it should

Dr.Moo

Jul 29, 2019
So for christmas i got a sweet gaming rig, i5 processor, 16gb ddr3 ram, 1tb hard drive, Sweet liquid cooling system, basically everything you could ever need to run feed the beast, but i have had problems with that

recently i have bought this graphics card: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+U...Card/5619352.p?id=1218677497053&skuId=5619352

that, my friends, is a technological beauty of AMD and radeon, but it hates ftb. at first, when i had gotten my new computer, i was using the intel integrated graphics card (lame of the lame) and it ran ftb about the same as this graphics card, which is beyond me. i have tried everything (optifine, every single setting on optifine, i assure you that i have 64 bit java and it is updated to the latest version, ect, ect, ect) ansd yet feed the beast runs at about 9-20 fps and on vannilla minecraft, it limits my frames to 60. on top of that, i am having lots of problems with loading chunks and chunk errors, and all of that chunky good stuff. i do not know what to do. i have tried everything, i assure you, but NOTHING seems to work. could someone please help me on this topic before my head explodes into tiny little bits? that would be much appreciated. -The Doctor Of Moos-

DrEinsteinium

Jul 29, 2019
How much cpu do you have, and what OS do you have? I know that I have a pretty epic gcard but my cpu really isn't the best. Running the DW20 server and client at the same time totally screws with my fps, bringing me down to 10 fps.

http://prntscr.com/o63g4 <- This is the cpu i'm talking about

If you can't find a solution to your problem try contacting the graphics card company. If they can't end up fixing it then you might want to return the card. Minecraft is the only thing I really play, and if my graphics card was screwing it up then I would not be happy. I understand your frustration.

Sorry to say, but if you can, return the card.

Dr.Moo

Jul 29, 2019
if i return my card i will only get store credit back D: besides, the i5 2500k should get vanilla 100fps, but i have clocked it at around 30%. i have way to much power to play the game (oh and by the way i am using the right gcard drivers)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Your problem is that Minecraft by itself doesn't know what to do with that much graphics card. Install Optifine Ultra with multi-core support, and you will see a significant boost in performance, once you tweak the new graphics settings.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Did you check to make certain that the onboard graphics is disabled I have read that in some cases where performance was terrible it was because the onboard graphics for some reason decided it was the best thing to run java programs (and in general it would be but not java based games) so other than that I really don't know, your system is a shitload better than mine and I'm running Minecraft very heavily modded with no problems.

(don't enable the multi-core chunkloading from my testing it still doesn't work right and things are smoother on smooth)

Dr.Moo

Jul 29, 2019
I treid the new optifine, and there was a slight preformance increase but not something to shout about D: as i already had optifine installed, just not that version. as for the onboard graphics being disabled, i have already gone into the BIOS and disabled it.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
1. Unless you have a monitor that supports higher then 60Hz, there is NO reason to game at higher than 60FPS or higher than the monitor refresh rate in Minecraft. none.
2. Assuring us you have this and that without actually saying anything relevant, like what versions you have installed, what settings you have set, and anything useful makes it difficult to tell you what you need to do. What youve already tried is irrelevant. What you current setup is, is relevant.
3. Saying you tried Optifine then proceeding to say nothing about how you configured it is .... meh

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing you could do is ensure that ur using all your processors in your cpu.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2009/04/how-to-enable-multiple-cpu-cores-on-a-windows-pc/

^^ Use that link to help a bit as sometimes your computer can hibernate 1 core or more depending on whats running it is also a good way to get more out of your pc if you so chose to

Try reading what you are linking to.
The feature mentioned is used for trouble shooting, f.ex. if you are experiencing problems while installing SQL server 2005.
It even says that your standard install of Win Vista/7 by default uses all of the available cores.

Dr.Moo

Jul 29, 2019
1. Unless you have a monitor that supports higher then 60Hz, there is NO reason to game at higher than 60FPS or higher than the monitor refresh rate in Minecraft. none.
2. Assuring us you have this and that without actually saying anything relevant, like what versions you have installed, what settings you have set, and anything useful makes it difficult to tell you what you need to do. What youve already tried is irrelevant. What you current setup is, is relevant.
3. Saying you tried Optifine then proceeding to say nothing about how you configured it is .... meh

I don't know what i need to say. could you please tell me everything i need to list for you to know?

Ma55Murd3r

Jul 29, 2019
yes but by default most of the games or programs you use will only use 1 core and use the other for other programs

i have had that problem where the programs were only utilizing a single core

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Got me buggered I just jumped into a vanilla install\FTB DW20\FTB BataA and I was getting a consistent 40-50 modded, 60-80 (with the odd spike over 100) vanilla (though Jungles fried the framerate while loading and for a while after 20 or so was common) without optifine. With optifine, Vanilla, no change, modded went to 60-70 with the odd spike of over 100. And my system is a few years old E6750 Core 2 DUO, 9800GT, 2GB ram and with a known problem with my IDE channels, it got powersurged and now HDD access is slower than a kid being told to clean their room.
I always hated troubleshooting over the phone, over forums is worse.
All I can suggest at this point is find a mate who knows computers (you seem to but another thought process might help) or a shop nearby and just screw around with it til it works or just shoot the fucking thing and go get drunk :D(if you are of age of course)

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
A quick note is that Minecraft is rendered through OpenGL. ATI/AMD is notorious for their...less than stellar support when it comes to OpenGL. Then again, I'm on an ATI HD 4770 and I suffer more from tick lag than full on visual lag.

Best thing I can think of is that you have old video card drivers for the integrated video card still lingering on your PC. It's a tad bit risky if you don't know what you're doing, though.

Dr.Moo

Jul 29, 2019
first of all, i installed the AMD catalyst drivers and they do, well aboud as much work as homer simpson. at this point i am considering shooting it, but i will skip on the getting drunk part...

RampantPanda65

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I believe there is a option in the BIOS that always you to change from integrated graphics to using the 7770.

Dr.Moo

Jul 29, 2019
I do not know how to check to see what gcard mc is using, but all i know is that both windows and my BIOS say that i am using the new one

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think this has been noted, but do you have 64 bit Java installed, or 32? If you have _both_ installed, Minecraft will run at 32 bits by default. (Anyone know how to fix this in FtB so it uses the 64 bit version with both installed?)

You can check this by going into graphics settings and turning on "far." If you get a red message that says "64 bit recommended for far view distance" Minecraft is running in 32 bit java.

Also, if you are in a biome with those huge Extra Biomes trees, or near one of the giant oaks and use "fast" graphics, you _will_ get lag. I have a monster of a machine (Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz, 16 gig ram, GeForce GTX 580 w 3072 MB ram) and still get graphics lag from this. I like fast graphics, so I disable the biomes with giant in the Extra Biome config, and burn down the giant oaks >:D