Good vs. Evil

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
73. Hmm I have heard this about it. The closest I've ever got to BoI is playing with the Necromancy mod, because that adds Isaacs that walk around and shoot tears at you.

They're TOUGH buggers too...!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
71. Yeah, it was tough to start with, I found that as well. We'd added it as part of a very small modpack, kind of steampunky with a bit of magic; so we had Railcraft, Flaxbeard's, Cogs of the Machine, Clockwork Phase, Thaumcraft 4 (with Thaumic Tinkerer), Harder Ores, Glenn's Gases, Pam's... we added Immersive Engineering later too.

It was a lot of fun actually - struggling to find ores, but then finding huge lodes once we DID, made life interesting. Made the Pickaxe of the Core from Thaumcraft not only useful, but necessary, because its ore divining ability (shows up ores through rock as dots of light) was sometimes the only chance you had of finding ore! :p

Last edited:

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
70 thaumcraft brings back memory's. It was the first mod I played with. The first modpack I played was Hubris. (And in Hubris the world was tainted) I really hope someone else gets permission to continue development, or at least something like RP2-Project Red

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
71 ah... thaumcraft, pretty much the only magic mod I played with.
Sure, I gave some other magic mods a look over the years as well, but except for EE2 it was the only mod I actually also tried multiple times.

Sad to see it go even though I don't like using it (shows how good it is). Oh well, everyone has to move on at one point or another.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
71 ah... thaumcraft, pretty much the only magic mod I played with.
Sure, I gave some other magic mods a look over the years as well, but except for EE2 it was the only mod I actually also tried multiple times.

Sad to see it go even though I don't like using it (shows how good it is). Oh well, everyone has to move on at one point or another.
Yeah, this is true. I'd like to see someone try and capture the feel of Thaumcraft; though how they would do that without seeming like they were copying I don't know. But you know what I mean?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013

Yeah, this is true. I'd like to see someone try and capture the feel of Thaumcraft; though how they would do that without seeming like they were copying I don't know. But you know what I mean?
Yep, the visuals are amazing and the lore of it made sense without putting a whole story into the game.

Its a shame that not a lot more mods add something like thaumcraft's lore into their mod. Though. maybe lore isn't the correct word for it as I guess "flavor text" would be a better fit. I mean, with stuff like bloodmagic there isn't exactly an explanation for as far as I know about why you can do all those things with blood but if I remember correctly from thaumcraft it had some explanation of what was "going on" for everything. The research obviously helped a lot with building onto it which is probably why as the research aspect of thaumcraft defiantly was something not everyone liked and obviously even Azzanor had trouble with it considering how often it changed, pretty much every time he overhauled the mod, maybe even more times actually.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

Yep, the visuals are amazing and the lore of it made sense without putting a whole story into the game.

Its a shame that not a lot more mods add something like thaumcraft's lore into their mod. Though. maybe lore isn't the correct word for it as I guess "flavor text" would be a better fit. I mean, with stuff like bloodmagic there isn't exactly an explanation for as far as I know about why you can do all those things with blood but if I remember correctly from thaumcraft it had some explanation of what was "going on" for everything. The research obviously helped a lot with building onto it which is probably why as the research aspect of thaumcraft defiantly was something not everyone liked and obviously even Azzanor had trouble with it considering how often it changed, pretty much every time he overhauled the mod, maybe even more times actually.
73. This is true, although there is definitely connective tissue running through Thaumcraft 2, 3, 4 and 5 - commonalities between them all, to an extent. The Taint stuff was clearly less in 3 than in 2 and 4, and 2 had some of the really dark stuff that came out more in some of 4's add-ons, but they all felt like iterations of the same idea.