Good vs. Evil

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
43 There was not light on the beginning of times. Remember that it was 400 000 years from the big bang that photons started to fly freely and there was visible light.
Correction. There was visible light the whole time- quite a lot of it, in fact. It's just that in the first 400k years, the universe was filled with an opaque plasma, like the inside of a star. Only after that time was that light able to propagate very far, and form what is now the Cosmic Microwave Background. Picture a wet sponge, then remove the sponge.

15 because I still don't have an answer for the question of how elves get access to metals.
They probably buy a little off the dwarves and humans, in exchange for various plant products. Wood, ropes, seeds, booze, etc. Either that, or they take weapons from slain goblin invaders and use them.

That'd make sense in Dwarf Fortress, at least, although the elves never seem to use any weapons or armor made of anything other than their own special "grown" wood.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
53 Not in DF. The elves there seem to have no knowledge of smithing at all, hence why their merchants don't mind buying metals smelted with charcoal, while if offered any other wood products, they will pack up their goods on the spot and leave.
"Once a beautiful tree, and now? It is a rude bauble, fit only for your kind."

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
55 It is indeed. I don't know much about elves in other fictional works. Other than MTG, but there's a lot of different kinds of elves there, and Lens probably knows as much about them as I do.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
57 Also, going back to the 1st book I know of that had elves (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings), the elves forged special magical swords. No mention of where they got the metal for making the swords though. But most lore the elves are very much about nature magic and thus grow or use magic for what they need.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
59 Well....the thing is in the books that I read it is sometimes impossible for the elves to trade with humans and trading with dwarves is a pain due to the distance/other reasons. There is also no mention of magical metal grown by elves so that is also not possible

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Correction. There was visible light the whole time- quite a lot of it, in fact. It's just that in the first 400k years, the universe was filled with an opaque plasma, like the inside of a star. Only after that time was that light able to propagate very far, and form what is now the Cosmic Microwave Background. Picture a wet sponge, then remove the sponge.

59 It was only between 10-6s and 1s that first light particle proton was allowed to be created (Hadron epoch). So no, darkness was there, always !

btw can we leave the elfe theme up there ? Or is lenscas stil waiting for answer ?