Good vs. Evil

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
47 At least those handing plot threads where not dug up by an extra season for no other reason than to die with the series.

In a certain series I like someone ends up looking for both her mother and father. The father gets found in the last episode and ends up sacrificing himself to save everyone. The mother never gets found however due to what got discovered during the search its pretty obvious that she will never be found.

Enter season five, one that was made because the company needed money. Suddenly, we know exactly where the mother is and there is almost even contact between the daughter and mother. However, due to various reasons the two are never that close again and the season ends with the bad guy wanting revenge on the group, knows about the fact that mother and daughter are separated and the only way for those two to even have hope to communicate destroyed. Also, I believe that the bad guy and the mother are married, but I may be wrong about that.

Thus, we wend from having pretty much every plot thread closed in some way to not only have one untangled again but also become a cliffhanger for a season that will never come because the company wend bankrupt >_<.

To every company that makes anything that comes in series, please do not do stuff like that if you are not sure you can make another season. Having a character go through giving up to find her mother while seeing her father sacrifice himself after having just found him is bad enough. To go the extra mile of adding another season where they discover the mother more or less by accident yet making them unable to talk to each other and leaving this worse off than how it started at the beginning is just throwing salt on the wounds. Especially when no new season will come >_<

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
46. Yeah. I have a web serial I'm reading where the author has said that the series will be shorter than originally planned, simply as the way the plot has changed can't justify a fourth book. If you can't do it without ruining the story or stretching things out for no reason, don't make more.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
46. Blimey @lenscas what series was that? Babylon 5 had the interesting situation where they had a 5 season arc planned out right from the beginning. Then they got cancelled somewhere in season 4, so they squeezed the plot threads all into that season. Which was so well received that they gave them a 5th season after all.

That said, the team actually did an excellent job on that season, and overall it was really good. Also, they had filmed the finale episode ahead of time, so they saved that for the end of season 5. Because of the nature of the finale, it was able to slot in with a minimum of continuity errors too.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
46. Blimey @lenscas what series was that? Babylon 5 had the interesting situation where they had a 5 season arc planned out right from the beginning. Then they got cancelled somewhere in season 4, so they squeezed the plot threads all into that season. Which was so well received that they gave them a 5th season after all.

That said, the team actually did an excellent job on that season, and overall it was really good. Also, they had filmed the finale episode ahead of time, so they saved that for the end of season 5. Because of the nature of the finale, it was able to slot in with a minimum of continuity errors too.
47 code lyoko. They had so little resources for season 5 that they had to replace the 2d animated part with live action.

Yes, they decided that the best effort to try and not go bankrupt was by reviving a show that was originally in a style they couldn't afford anymore. (Actually, only about half of the show was 2D animated, but still).

This switch also meant that the dog was now missing and though they did manage to find someone who was willing to paint her hair pink not every hair color matches.
(Odd used to have yellow hair with a purple spot, now has brown hair and a purple spot that you can't see. Sisi used to have black hair and I believe she ends up being blond. I may have missed some)

Also, in my opinion XANA shouldn't have been brought back in season 5. The excuse for it apparently not being dead isn't exactly great and its attacks are lack luster. For example in the first 2 episodes the 2 attacks launched where one which should have caused a nuclear power plant to explode and one that was a teddy bear which somehow became bigger than most buildings walking around in the city. And that is just the first 2 episodes and we are thus ignoring the zombies, mad bees (and rats), gravity control, convincing someone was terminal ill and only had a few days left (yes, that happened) and the samurai armor that came to life.

Meanwhile, in season 5 there was an attack which just meant that mobile phones stopped working. And, I'm not just picking that one because it was the lamest one but because THIS is how the show revealed that it was possible to have 2 attacks in a day. Which considering the fact that in order to stop those attacks had to enter a simulation you couldn't enter back in for 12 hours after leaving AND there was at the time only 1 person who could even ENTER the towers needed to make the attacks stop has some major implications on how every attack going forward must been handled by the group.

So, of course using the lamest attack possible to reveal all this is the best way to handle it. /S

The only other attack I can really remember from season 5 where the specter clones. Which where only able to take on an appearance when they where created and just chased someone down. Also, note how I said type. This is basically all that XANA did when it came to launching attacks in season 5 as opposed to throwing a completely new thing each attack. And the specters aren't even new, they where used at least 2 times before. The only new thing about them now is that they simply chase people down instead of being used to deceive the group and even the watcher.

Season 5 isn't all bad though but I don't recommend watching it mostly because season 4 was already a good ending and defiantly a better one than 5. (And finding an English dubbed one is impossible, subbed is sort of doable but I had to switch which language was spoken mid way through it.)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
44 If I wanted it to become a real wall of text I also would've brought up how entire areas are missing in season 5 and why that was actually a good thing, and probably complain a bit about how NO ONE in that show (season 1 to 5) knows what backups are and disks apparently loose their contents after being read.

Also, code apparently works first try unless for plot it doesn't. Because I doubt that a laptop can simulate a quantum computer which in itself simulates a virtual world. Well, you could say the laptop is just used to control the quantum computer from a distance, which seems to happen enough but then WHY does the program need to be transfered from the laptop to the computer by disk?

An answer could be that you don't develop on the computer itself because it is hosting a rather potent AI and transferring the code using disks also means that you have backups but as I already said, backups don't exist and he is writing plenty of code directly on the computer anyway.

and.. I need to stop before this also becomes a long thing >_<

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
39 I usually don't, but depending on how much time I have I might end up returning later to read them.