Golem Driven Mana Bean Farm - help?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Malzie

Jul 29, 2019
I have really been enjoying the new TC4.1 on a Monster 1.0.11 server and after completing all of the research I decided it was time to get serious about ensuring I have all the essentia aspects I could ever need.

After creating a nicely laid out mana bean farm I placed down two golems, one with the harvest upgrade and of course the ordo charm and the second with the gather upgrade. After a given time I had several fully grown mana beans, and yet my golems stand there looking like two lost children at a theme park.

I am unsure what I am doing wrong that causes my golems to essentially not do what they are supposed to be doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Are your golems within range of the beans?
Are they able to get to the beans? (I.e. beans are ground level)

Malzie

Jul 29, 2019
They should be within range both height and distance. I also gave them both the distance upgrade to see if that was it. I can say that the gathering golem is working just fine, but the harvesting golem is the one doing nothing.

Attached is a picture of the farm.

Attachments

• 2014-03-09_23.49.46.png
    2014-03-09_23.49.46.png
    805.5 KB · Views: 120

Malzie

Jul 29, 2019
I have tried marking where to harvest with a bell, and I've also tried upgrading it to an advanced golem. Still no luck. Others on the server have said that their golems are working fine, while others are saying theirs aren't working either. This is frustrating! -_-

Tomatoebrain

Jul 29, 2019
Looks to me like the mana beans are out of range, try moving them closer in or adding range upgrades to the golem

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Harvest golems unfortunately have a range of only four blocks, even though the book says otherwise. Either move the farm in closer, or try to instead add a perception (water?) upgrade to them.

Malzie

Jul 29, 2019
Believe it or not, I solved it! After I made an entirely new golem, I turned it into an advanced golem again and before I even gave it the water shard distance upgrade.... I gave it a pair of spectacles and it went to work. While I do not understand why that made the difference, it did and it works now. :-/

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Believe it or not, I solved it! After I made an entirely new golem, I turned it into an advanced golem again and before I even gave it the water shard distance upgrade.... I gave it a pair of spectacles and it went to work. While I do not understand why that made the difference, it did and it works now. :-/

The advanced golem has a range upgrade as well as the spectacles increasing the range again. This should give you a 6 radius that the golem can harvest in. According to your picture, the beans are all in a 13x13 square, so that matches the 6 radius range of the advanced golem with spectacles.

The base golem range of a harvest core is 4 block radius. This lets you harvest everything in a 9 x 9 block square with the golem in the middle. I've done some testing with the basic golem, and in this thread I go over my build that I used for layout. It's revision gave a 72 bean farm using the 4 block radius of a standard harvest golem. I haven't yet seen a better layout for max density. Although since you now need to combine this with a lamp of growth to get any decent growth rate, you could use a flesh/tallow golem with an order, aqua and spectacles to get the 6 block radius afforded by the lamp of growth.
Using the same layout as in my thread with 2 range upgrades would give you a roughly 13x13 farm with 156 mana beans all harvested by one golem. A standard gatherer golem placed near the center, can collect all the drops.