Gold farm without spawner, 100% possible!

ElectroToxin

Jul 29, 2019
So I am sure I'm not the first one who has thought of this or done it, but I can't find anything about it online, so I decided to make a post about it.

So we call like to get our gold farms going. Whether it was soul shards or now EnderIO. But what if there was a way to do it without any spawners?

So I set up my spawner and was getting gold. Great. Slower now since EnderIO spawners are slow without a lot of power and capacitors. Then I was killing them manually since I needed draconic souls. Well, I got a pigman trophy. Nothing special. Til I placed it down, and right clicked. 1 gold Nugget. Kay. Only happens once in a while. Orrrr, immediately every time you place it down. Okay, creative gears turning.

So at this point, I'm making two autonomous activators and a block breaker. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may only need one autonomous, but it works regardless. So, I set up EnderIO item conduits with filters, as well as a 6 repeater max delay redstone clock for the block breaker. This is because the block breaker will break the trophy before the activators can get the nugget, And VWALA!

Kinda broken, but also kinda slow. But still. Pretty awesome. Can reduce mob lag a lot I imagine. Only entity that would be on the ground is a single nugget ever 6 seconds or so. Unless of course you do multiples of these. But the best part about this, is it takes absolutely no power.

UPDATE: So, as you can see below me and Cheme discussed his optimized build a little and I made a video with it! Thank him for the huge imrpovement!

Last edited:
Reactions: xTordX and ChemE

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice idea! Someone shared this post on my low lag devices thread and I reworked it using Steve's Factory Manager (love that freaking mod!). I got it down to a block of gold (autocrafted) every 85 seconds and still very little tile entity update time from the server.

EDIT: Forget that, I've got a single trophy making a block of gold every 8 seconds now. Note you can use the same technique for leather, eggs, and porkchops too. No more entities needed to gather those resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I'm betting with two AA's clicking the hell out of the trophy I could get closer to one block every 72 seconds btw.

EDIT: I tried this several ways and still cannot get the time needed to produce a gold block with a single trophy below 85 seconds.

Last edited:

ElectroToxin

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! Would it be possible for you to explain the sfm steps a little more? I've never used it before. Sorry! lol. You can pm if you'd like or post on here.

ElectroToxin

Jul 29, 2019
I've kinda caught the idea of the tree a little bit. But I just don't know what to put for all the settings.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
No problem. For the input select a chest as your inventory and any side for the target since chests don't care which side you pull/push from. I always use the bottom for outlet and top for inlet but it doesnt' matter. For the item select trophy (just start typing in the box) and then right click the trophy icon and click left/right on the little arrows until you get to fuzzy detection. The outlet is easier; choose the block gate as the outlet and the side shouldn't matter. Block gates have one active side which faces you when you place them. We'll use an empty blacklist for the outlet item since we are just placing whatever the input got and we already locked that down. We will use the same setup to retreive the trophy. The input is the active face of the block gate set to fuzzy detect a trophy and an empty blacklist dumping back into the chest.

For the rapid item valve just set every face active and restrict the items to gold nuggets. Output to the chest with an empty blacklist.

For the crafters input from the chest's bottom gold nuggets. For the crafter itself you need to specify an excess inventory, use the chest. This way if it grabs 10 nuggets from the chest, it knows where to put the extra nugget. Output the ingot back into the chest. Here I use a whitelist on the output with gold ingot. Same thing with the other crafter except specify a barrel for the output and again specify gold block in the whitelist for that output. Hope this helps but if you need additional information let me know.

EDIT: A few quirks I should mention to potentially save someone some hassle. The block gate tries to place 2 blocks away first and then one block away. Annoying and not useful to me, so make sure there is already a block filling the space two blocks away from the active face. Also, the crafter doesn't operate until execution gets to the output so you cannot chain 2 crafters together. For instance, I can't pull nuggets from the chest, craft those into ingots, craft those into blocks, and stick the leftovers in the chest. That would actually execute as get nuggets and ingots from the chest, craft blocks, stick leftovers in the chest and blocks in the barrel. Because ingots never get outputed, they never get crafted.

ElectroToxin

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the asking. lol It's just a tad confusing. So I got the Block gate achieved I think. I put two different trophies in there and they keep switching spots in the chest. So I assume they are breaking really fast? I'm not sure. But I can't tell if it's working.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
With fuzzy detection it will match both trophies which might not be what you want. When I tried to match specifically on the zombie pigman trophy (damage value 5) it didn't work so I left it fuzzy banking on only one trohy being in the machine. If you have two different trophies, it is probably placing/breaking one and then the other cyclically.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Odd, I'm only able to make my design work with a block gate pointing to the side. Any design with the block gate pointing up or down does not work.

ElectroToxin

Jul 29, 2019
could u screenshot the branch setup for the breaking trigger? I think that's the part I'm messing up, cuz I have it set up exactly how you do for layout.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I have NO idea why but the left most branch has to be break the trophy and the third branch places it so

#1 input = block gate; output = chest
#2 input = rapid item valve; output = chest
#3 input = chest; output = block gate

The moment I switch branches 1 and 3 it either starts or stops working; no idea why.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'd really like to see a setup that you can increase in size.
I might give that a try myself, though I don't know how it'll work out

ElectroToxin

Jul 29, 2019
This design is actually rather adjustable. Since it uses inventory cables you could make it less deep possibly. Also since the inventory manager seems like a multiblock machine, you could potentially have multiple crafting commands on the one manager.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
here's my go at an expendable version...

ffhvGvh.png

I tried to keep it SFM only, but sadly I couldn't figure out how to have the block gate right click on the trophies, so I had to use autonomous activators for that, though they've gotten a bit complicated nowadays seeing as they require power now.

what I'm doing is I take the trohpies from the chest, and send a trophy to each block gate, which is a total of 8 in this picture.
all block gates are crafted with advanced cable clusters so you don't need to run any extra cables.
one of these advanced cable clusters also has a rapid item valve that'll pick up the golden nuggets.

the command starts out with a simple trigger going into an input from the rapid item valve, picking up the nuggets, and depositing them into the chest.
next up is another input from all the block gates, breaking the trophies, and depositing them into the chest.
after that is a for each command with an input from the chest for the trophies, and outputting one tropy each to all the block gates.

lastly is a simple crafting chain to craft the nuggets into ingots, and the ingots into blocks.

as I mentioned before, I had hoped to do all of this with SFM only, but I couldn't figure out how to make the block gates right click the tropies.
also note that the nuggets fly around everywhere and it happens from time to time that the nuggets fall outside the range of the rapid item valve, leaving nuggets scattered around the floor. I tried cubing the whole thing up to prevent this from happening, but sadly that didn't work.

also note, you really need to have blocks above the block gate, otherwise the block gate will place the trophies 2 blocks up and the block gates will be unable to break the trophies because they're too high up. placing blocks above the block gates prevents this from happening and the gates will properly place the trophies.