Problem Glitchy or Overloaded Chunks on MindCrack v7

Blazstyn

Jul 29, 2019
OS - Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008
Running on - Windows Dedicated Server (along with bukkit server)
FTBv - MindCrack version 7 for server and client.
Mods - Yes, Fighu's & DynMap (DynMap currently not installed), server running under MCMA2
Specs - Xeon 4 core, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD (20gb free), totally dedicated

The map has been active for just over a month. Lots of players have logged plenty of hours in the chunks surrounding the problem area, however today several players reported staggeringly low framerates within or nearby these chunks. I logged on with my client to check it out, and there is obviously an issue.

Within the affected area, entity count rises to over 2200. I copied the server files to my desktop (8-core, 10GB RAM) and it still bogged down the system. I was running Minecraft as well, and it hit 0 fps for several minutes as I tried to identify the source of the problem.

Opening the world in MCEDIT and cutting the entities resulted in a world filled with lapis trees and netherbrick-fence-rubbertrees. So that's not gonna work out for me.

Using aPerf tools from these forums was not really successful either, as the tool wouldn't let me run it: 'You do not have permission to use the command' even when OP'd, PEX set to bypass OPs and all permission nodes included for administrators. I intsalled the PEX and aPerf system on a new JAR with no mods, obviously, as it isn't compatible with Fighu's stuff.

aPerf reported from the console that 73 dropped items, 85 monsters, 276 animals, and 2280 unknown entities are present in [Overworld].

EDIT: Gonna see if I can grab an in-action screenshot... Not that it will help much. Also, looking at the console, there's a lot of unsurprising '[Warning] Can't keep up' announcements. Of course.

EDIT2: Here's the album, if helpful. First image is pretty normal, kinda jittery, but then as I move a short ways the entity count jumps.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what those unknown entities are (maybe TC things?) although those few number entities shouldn't bring your machine nor your server to their knees normally
This problems are the hardest to debug, since it can be litterly anything. And i wonder if it's the chunk thats causing the problem or the combination between the chunk and the fact your standing prob next to a machine room.
Just thinking back to the older packs (FTB map itself mc1.2.5) there where problems with the ticks of solarpanals and buildcraft pipes. Are there alot of those things inside? or don't you have any problem when you go inside that building?

Dekar

Jul 29, 2019
Could be some overflowing machines or factory with a ton of stuff in pipes. Have you tried turning turning off all the machines/engines/chunk loaders, etc in the area?

Blazstyn

Jul 29, 2019
The problem could be that someone has left machinery running - however I can't find a way to get in and check it out. The lag is so bad that even when I'm not hosting the server on my desktop, it takes me 5-10 minutes to pass through the damaged area. It covers a considerable distance.

I initially thought it was animals, but aPerf seems to identify all the entities as unknown. So I have no idea what they are. Probably someone's stuff that has been left going, as suggested.

If I had a modified client, I could get in there by disabling entity rendering on my connection and figure out where it was all coming from - Reliant or NODUS would work, in this case, from an administrative point of view, unfortunately (or fortunately) they don't work with FTB yet. I tried Rei's Minimap with EntityRadar forced through my client settings, but it only shows animals, players and living things.

So to reiterate, I have only tried to isolate the problem, and have done nothing more. It takes me 30 seconds to aim right just so that I can open a door, so it's very difficult to check the affected area for machinery. I don't doubt that overflowing systems is probably the cause - its a good thing that as part of a move to a Bukkitforge / Forge based system, we are pre-rendering a large map.

As the affected area spans over spawn, could it have something to do with the chunks always being loaded?