Glass Fibre Cable Confusion.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
I read that handles 512eu/t but i have 2 ultimate hybrid solar panels going to a A.E.S.U and its putting out 1000eu/t. Should that blow up the cable?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. Glass fibre cable can handle 512 eu per pulse/packet, not tick.

This means 1 single chunk can not be larger than 512 EU, but you can have a nearly infinite number of those. ( Obviously, computers don't handle infinite so well, so there will be a limit somewhere, it's just not explicitly programmed in. )

So, as long as you don't hook the cable directly to a nuclear plant, lightning rod, or fusion plant...you're fine.

Ewokz750

Jul 29, 2019
Fibre cables hold a max packet size of 512eu/t. Each solar is making 1 packet of 512eu/t, so that's 2 packets total. The number of packets in a wire can be infinite. Its the packet size that causes issues.

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. Glass fibre cable can handle 512 eu per pulse/packet, not tick.

This means 1 single chunk can not be larger than 512 EU, but you can have a nearly infinite number of those. ( Obviously, computers don't handle infinite so well, so there will be a limit somewhere, it's just not explicitly programmed in. )

So, as long as you don't hook the cable directly to a nuclear plant, lightning rod, or fusion plant...you're fine.
Ah, i however still dont understand Packets. Can you explain?

Demi

Jul 29, 2019
each ultimate solar generates 512eu/t and sends it down your cabling in the form of a single packet of 512eu/p
if you put 2 solars onto the same cable the cable will transport 1024eu/t but still 512eu/p (only 2 times)
in theory you could plop down 1000ultimate solars, the cable would transport 512,000eu/t in 512eu/p packets.

i can't tell from the top of my head, but i think you can't modify the aesu's eu/p, just it's eu/t
thus i'd suspect it to put out it's energy in a single packet (1k in your case) thus blowing up the cable.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
The eu/t versus eu/p thing is... kinda weird.

I understand the basic concept, but I think it could have been elaborated on much, much better... somewhere.

The way I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that a packet is essentially the size of the 'bundle' of eu that is sent out in intervals that make up the eu/t. So, let's say you have four ultimate solar panels all hooked up to the same length of cable. Even though they're collectively generating well over 2000 eu/t, their individual packets do not exceed 512 eu. The cable can accept as many of these packets as you want it to, so long as none of them exceed the maximum packet size of 512 eu.

And please, if that's wrong, someone correct me. I need to understand this properly before I start screwing around with Fusion Reactors.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I like to think of the three power systems (IC2 energy units,BC MinecraftJoules,RedPower 2 Bluelectricity) as follows

EU - Energy is created as solid packages of EU and then piped to where it needs to go. If the package is too big for the pipe then bad things happen, however the packages are going so fast that you can have effictively infinite packages moving down the same pipe at once single file. A little energy spills out of each package depending on the length and quality of the pipe, so copper wire has a package size limit of 32 and every 4 wires, 1 energy spills out of each package, Gold cable can hold packages that are 4x larger (128 eu) but loses 1 eu every 2 wires. So if you have a generator (package maker) churning out 32 eu packages then a black connected by 4 copper wires would receive 31 eu packages, connected by 4 gold wires it would get only 30 eu packages. If the generator makes 128 eu packages then the copper wire wouldn't work at all and the gold wire would reduce the size to 126 eu packages.

BC - Energy is a liquid. Engines create the liquid at a certain rate (combustion makes 6 MJ/t) and machines use it at a certain rate. Pipes leak fluid per segment and conduits leak only when fluid enters the conduit.

Bluelectricity - Works as closely to real electricity as you can get in mineraft. Volts = Amps * resistance, Power = Volts * Amps. Energy is measured in joules, Power is energy over time and measured in Watts (Joules/second). Each machine has a capacitance for energy (coulombs that allow for the storage of joules) that allows them to store around 1000 joules. Energy flows from high voltage to low voltage and length of wire increases resistance.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971