Windows .exe Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce 3 - Low GPU usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHeavySoldier

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

I have been browsing the web for a week or 2 now trying to find a solution for my problem, but with no luck so far.
I did notice that there are more people with the same problem like me using both AMD and Nvidia cards.

My specs:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4Ghz
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3
Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce 3 - Using the latest version of the Catalyst Control Center (13.4)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB Dual Channel 1600Mhz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
Java 6 Update 15 64Bit (I went to this version because I had some problems with Java 7, and I knew this one worked)
Feed the Beast Ultimate (v1.0.1) - Using OptiFine_1.4.6_HD_U_D5

Whenever I start Feed the Beast I have and start playing (generated a fresh world), I get around 50-60 FPS, which is quite sweet, if you're running on highest settings, which I am not.
I'm running low settings with View distance on normal.
However, when I open up MSI Afterburner and watch my GPU Usage graph, it just sits at 0% and does nothing, which makes me think I am, perhaps, using my Intel Integrated HD3000 GPU.

I've found some threads on the internet on how to force Java to run on your dedicated GPU, but those were for Nvidia, and if I did find a guide for AMD users, they we're talking about the "Switchable graphics" settings, which I do not have.

So my question is, did/does anyone else experience this problem?
If you did, did you solve it?
If you solved it, could you let me know how you solved it?

Thanks,

TheHeavySoldier

whitelite07

Jul 29, 2019
You're problem is that java will default to the integrated graphics if available. Firstly i have an Nvidia card so while the end result is the same the steps will be different for you. What you need to do is go into the catalyst control center and find the options for you're gpu. From there you need to find out how to force java to be processed by the better card. It has been a long time since i have used an AMD card so this is where my usefulness ends, however I have had the same problem with the last 2 Nvidia cards I have tried.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
That's not how you spell "your" in that context.

Other than that, you're pretty much spot on. Just need to set the GPU control panel to run with the launcher.
Something else that can work, but won't necessarily, is renaming your launcher from FTBlauncher.exe (or whatever it was) to Minecraft.exe. I only wish it worked for me, something's gone wrong with mine.

TheHeavySoldier

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all your posts,

NdMSnIpEz - I've installed Java 7 U21 now but this didn't solve my problem.

whitelite07 - I'll search some more to see if I can find an option that will let me do this, I can set different settings for certain programs, (I can just add in the FTB_Launcher.exe, or java.exe etc.. )

AgentTadpole - I've read about that, i've tried changing my FTB_Launcer.exe to Minecraft.exe but this didn't solve it either.

Thank you all for your suggestions though.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.