Getting Started with Tier-3 Extrabees Machines

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I've got a few questions about the tier-3 ExtraBees machines.

What's the most efficient way to get your bees innoculated power-wise? From what I've tried so far, it seems that after you get the serum you want, it seems more efficient to charge your serum all the way in the synthesizer (assuming you want to use it that many times) and THEN purify it, and not the other way around. I haven't played with it all that much though; someone else have more insight into this?

Also, what's the purpose of the replicator? As far as I can tell, the only reason to have more than one serum of the same type is if you want to build a large automated genetic manipulation factory that includes multiple innoculators.

Any other tips for working with these machines?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
What's the most efficient way to get your bees innoculated power-wise? From what I've tried so far, it seems that after you get the serum you want, it seems more efficient to charge your serum all the way in the synthesizer (assuming you want to use it that many times) and THEN purify it, and not the other way around. I haven't played with it all that much though; someone else have more insight into this?

Yes. Don't purify unless it's full. "Fullness" is actually sortable with a diamond pipe, because it changes the damage value of the item.

Also, what's the purpose of the replicator? As far as I can tell, the only reason to have more than one serum of the same type is if you want to build a large automated genetic manipulation factory that includes multiple innoculators.

That is its purpose, but you'll not need it if you do a lot of bees because the random method of the Isolator will give you several copies of anything useful, and if you don't do a lot of bees, you won't need lots of copies. It's the only definitely skippable tier-3 machine.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I have a full setup and although I even have the components for the replicator I never completed it: you don't really need it. Once you have the strains you want it's very easy to just get more of those.

For example: the trait you really want in your bees is nocturnal. This one you can get very easily from modest (desert) bees. Just breed a whole bunch of drones and you'll end up with more nocturnal serums than you can shake a stick at.

The noble strain will give you the maximum fertility serum; another gene you want on all the bees you're breeding with because later on it gives you a better change of getting the mutations you want and get serums out of it.

drazath

Jul 29, 2019
Any other tips for working with these machines?

Yeah. Instead of inoculating every species you want to use with all the beneficial traits, just keep a single dedicated species of super bees (with all the best traits you can get) and breed lots of drones and clone princesses. Then when you get some great new species, isolate the species into a serum and inoculate one superbee drone/princess pair with it.

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, one more thing.
I noticed that sometimes, when you charge a serum in a synthesizer from zero, it gives you a charge but still keeps excellent quality. So I've been cheating my way out of using the purifier by charging it once and then innoculating, then charging it once etc.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, one more thing.
I noticed that sometimes, when you charge a serum in a synthesizer from zero, it gives you a charge but still keeps excellent quality. So I've been cheating my way out of using the purifier by charging it once and then innoculating, then charging it once etc.

Ugh. Sounds manual intensive. Soon enough you'll have a iron tank full of B-DNA and wonder why you went to that effort.

Also, totally irrelevant: You can sterilize serums in a furnace and reuse them.

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh. Sounds manual intensive. Soon enough you'll have a iron tank full of B-DNA and wonder why you went to that effort.

I already have that - what I don't have is that much power :p

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, power is easy.

I've only got 350 buckets of dna at the moment though. Haven't even gotten to do anything else yet as I got sidetracked by tree farms/boilers/engines/iron.

How much do you use anyway?

Penguirrel

Jul 29, 2019

Dear God! I have recycled hundreds of serums having not gotten the right indexing. I wondered if it was possible to reuse somehow but no mention anywhere about this.

Side note - has anyone gotten a maximum flowering/pollination serum from the Aura bee? It is eluding me.