Getting better FPS while recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Hello. I'm starting recording a Let's Play series. However, I'm getting some lag from minecraft when recording. I am using a laptop because it's all I have access to atm. But it's a decent one. I get about 30ish fps while not recording, but it drops down to 10 while recording. Is there anyhting I can do to bring it up a little? Even 15 fps would be fine.

It only really becomes a problem when a lot of mobs are nearby. I'll get about 2-3 when there's a horde of zombies and spiders trying to kill me in the middle of the night. But that's actually pretty rare as it is.

Thoughts?

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
I know. I can't afford one atm, though.
Anything I can do in the meantime to squeeze an extra frame or two out, though?

Bughunter

Jul 29, 2019
I know. I can't afford one atm, though.
Anything I can do in the meantime to squeeze an extra frame or two out, though?
Turn down your graphic settings to the lowest everything may help. Smooth lighting really murders your FPS. Also, try lower the amount of memory you allocate to FTB. If your PC has 2 Gigs of RAM, then you might want to set the memory FTB uses to 512 Megabytes.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
It may be the recording software you are using or the encoding. Some people experience a hit when using Fraps. I personally tried a few trial versions of different capture software before settling on VirtualDub.

If you're encoding using high compression for video that may also limit your frame rate. If your capture software allows it try using Huffyuv that's configured for minimal compression and try adjusting for your sweet spot as needed. After doing your recording you can recompress with something that takes more cpu but gives a (much) smaller file size.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Turn down your graphic settings to the lowest everything may help. Smooth lighting really murders your FPS. Also, try lower the amount of memory you allocate to FTB. If your PC has 2 Gigs of RAM, then you might want to set the memory FTB uses to 512 Megabytes.
I have 6 gb available. How do I change memory allocation? It's currently at 1 gb.

It may be the recording software you are using or the encoding. Some people experience a hit when using Fraps. I personally tried a few trial versions of different capture software before settling on VirtualDub.

If you're encoding using high compression for video that may also limit your frame rate. If your capture software allows it try using Huffyuv that's configured for minimal compression and try adjusting for your sweet spot as needed. After doing your recording you can recompress with something that takes more cpu but gives a (much) smaller file size.
I'm currently using bandicam as it's been the best of the options I've heard about.
How does VirtualDub stack up?

seannyyx

Jul 29, 2019
Bandicam lags me to buggery on my laptop.
I use fraps and just compress as soon as...

Change you ram allocation in the settings on ftb launcher before you load the pack.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Bandicam lags me to buggery on my laptop.
I use fraps and just compress as soon as...

Change you ram allocation in the settings on ftb launcher before you load the pack.
I'll try something else then. Thank you.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I'm currently using bandicam as it's been the best of the options I've heard about.
How does VirtualDub stack up?
VirtualDub is more complicated than most other capture software. The major benefit is it is free and, once I figured out how to use it, fairly light weight and powerful. The complicated part usually turns people off.

As for Bandicam settings, you've probably seen this FAQ already but it may help:
http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/how_to_reduce_lag_when_recording/

Your mileage may vary but what I did was:
On Minecraft leave the game window at it's default window size (no full screen) and switch to near settings
On the capture software drop quality to 50%, FPS to 15, and captured a rectangle on the screen.

Tweak upwards until you can capture at a quality you find acceptable and your game runs okay.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
VirtualDub is more complicated than most other capture software. The major benefit is it is free and, once I figured out how to use it, fairly light weight and powerful. The complicated part usually turns people off.

As for Bandicam settings, you've probably seen this FAQ already but it may help:
http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/how_to_reduce_lag_when_recording/

Your mileage may vary but what I did was:
On Minecraft leave the game window at it's default window size (no full screen) and switch to near settings
On the capture software drop quality to 50%, FPS to 15, and captured a rectangle on the screen.

Tweak upwards until you can capture at a quality you find acceptable and your game runs okay.
Thanks. I've seen that and I'm working on implementing it as well as messing with the in-game settings to get better fps.
I don't know what I did, but I got a short spike (about 30 seconds) to 250 fps. I wish I could figure out how to make that permanent. Then I'd have no trouble.

Edit: Is there a tutorial for VirtualDub?
When I saved my project, it was playing at only 10 fps but I had recorded it at 30. This made it super slow and very long (not to mention that the file was over 300 gb)

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I don't know what I did, but I got a short spike (about 30 seconds) to 250 fps. I wish I could figure out how to make that permanent. Then I'd have no trouble.
Good luck!

Edit: Is there a tutorial for VirtualDub?
When I saved my project, it was playing at only 10 fps but I had recorded it at 30. This made it super slow and very long (not to mention that the file was over 300 gb)
This helped: http://www.letsplayforum.net/showthread.php?909-How-to-record-with-Virtual-Dub-A-brief-overview
but let's just say it took me a couple days to even get a recording that was of the game I was playing and figure out the settings that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.