Gendustry - adding custom bees

bdew

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, i'm the author of Gendustry (and NEI Addons and some other stuff). I'm cross posting this from my MCF thread because i feel this might be of interest to some FTB map/pack makers. Any comments are welcome.
----
I've had multiple people asking me about my plans on adding bees and because i'm a lazy bastard i like having my mods as customize-able as possible, i decided to let YOU add bees
wink.png

The new system allows to create bees by editing simple (kidna) text files with minimal knowledge of coding or minecraft/forestry internals.

The current system allows:
  • Adding new bee species
  • Defining custom genetic templates
  • Defining custom drops and specialty lists
  • Adding new branches
  • Adding new combs and honey drops
  • Registering Ore Dictionary entries
  • Adding Centrifuge and Squeezer recipes
  • Adding vanilla crafting (shaped/shapeless) and smelting

Currently not supported, might happen in the future (or might not):
  • Jubilance is unsupported
  • Adding custom alleles
  • Trees and/or Butterflies ?..

There is no proper documentation for now but there are configuration examples on github with some comments that should be somewhat understandable. The format will change a bit for the 1.7.2 version.

I will also be happy to answer any questions about the config format here or in PMs.

Adventurous people that don't value their sanity too much can look at how the system works behind the scenes thing works by looking here, here and here.

If anyone wants their bees added to the official distribution, you can make a pull request on github or upload the file somewhere and PM the link to me. I reserve the right to accept/deny any additions at my own discretion.

This is currently available in 1.6.4 dev builds (gendustry+ bdlib). Currently not in 1.7.2 alpha builds i will port it soon™.

I will probably make an official release for 1.6.4 with this system within the next few weeks, depending on testing feedback and general interest in the system.

gwirk

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds awesome.
You can add any Item to the custom centrifuge recipe? Let say i want to add a Certus Bee that would produce AE certuz quartz from a certus comb. What would the centrifuge recipe would look like?

edit: ForestriI is a java factory? So as long as you now which function to invoke, you can create any item?

Last edited:

shinyarceus4

Jul 29, 2019
It's like making our own mod...

This format could potentially be applied to any mod, or indeed a mod builder. The Minecraft community needs more mods like this.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
[seriously considers kissing mod author]
[settles for bone crushing hug instead]

Does this support bees being able to speed up growth of nearby crops? @Reika expressed interest in doing something with bees in his minecraft forum thread.

^^ Now, that is what I would call an excellent feature request (couched as a excellent question) ;)

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
What about custom hives, do you plan on adding support to something like them as well (just so people can make worldgen-only bees)?

bdew

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the positive comments :)

Does this support bees being able to speed up growth of nearby crops? @Reika expressed interest in doing something with bees in his minecraft forum thread.

That would require implementing a new effect in real code (so not something you can do by just editing config) but they idea sounds interesting, i might give it a shot.

What about custom hives, do you plan on adding support to something like them as well (just so people can make worldgen-only bees)?

In the future maybe, i want to first iron out the problems with the current system, get a stable release out and see how people use it .

----------

In other news this is now available in 1.7.2 alpha builds as well (get them here) and i fixed a really stupid bug that caused mutations to trigger on wrong species :p

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
*makes a bee for 64k storage disks...* wut... I didn't do that~ *snickers* my god I'd probably just use it for the sake of having bee's for things I hate making... Though I was thinking about a line of bee's for thaumcraft aspects... imagine a line of bee's that pumped out lil globs of spiritus or ignis....

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking