Fun mods available for 1.8

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering what mods are available for 1.8 that are worth looking at. Mostly just out of curiosity if it's worth pushing my personal pack to 1.8 or if I should stay on 1.7.10 and wait till 1.9.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Wait until 1.9, assuming devs update to that. 1.8 isn't worth it for devs to update to.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Wait until 1.9, assuming devs update to that. 1.8 isn't worth it for devs to update to.
I see what you mean. As it stands, the only mod that is worth playing in 1.8 is Minecraft Comes Alive, where it adds a whole, manage your own village thing. I think it would be cool to see a pack based around that aspect, but even then I think that's in 1.7 as well. The only mod I wouldn't mind seeing in 1.7 that's 1.8 only is Giacomo's Foundry. I think that mod is pretty neat. Other than that, my findings are pretty dull. I know Zelda Sword Skills is also updated to 1.7 and that mod is pretty fun, though it didn't really add that much. Also apparently according to some people, 1.8 mods will work in 1.9. I am not sure if that's true or not.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I can give you an idea on what you can do to decide. Take your current mod list and select 10 mods you don't think you can do without. Google them with 1.8 and see if you can find a stable DL. If you can't, stick to 1.7.10.
What you should be asking is wether someone is compiling a robust list. Is MCFs list up to date I wonder? If so it's looking pretty bleak, all I could see that made me arch a brow was OpenComputers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I can give you an idea on what you can do to decide. Take your current mod list and select 10 mods you don't think you can do without. Google them with 1.8 and see if you can find a stable DL. If you can't, stick to 1.7.10.
What you should be asking is wether someone is compiling a robust list. Is MCFs list up to date I wonder? If so it's looking pretty bleak, all I could see that made me arch a brow was OpenComputers.

BAD idea. VERY bad idea. All of the pirate/rehost/haxxorz download sites are google-optimized and will show up first. And they WILL tell you that the mod you are downloading is for that version, even if it really isn't. Even with the AddOn, they'll still generally show up, although it'll at least warn you.

Check your preferred mods website. Sometimes, it's a Minecraft Forum post, sometimes it's a CurseForge hosted, sometimes you can find it on these forums. If it isn't one of these, it's probably a bogus site. If your mod author hasn't released it on their website, it hasn't been released yet. That simple. Trying to google it is a recipe for viral infection.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. Maybe make sure the DL is safe first too, lol.
But if you google a mod I find 9/10 times it comes up with legit curse/ modder ran sites.
It's one way I search for mods, I guess I'm savvy enough to spot a shady site.
While your advice isn't wrong you are implying that googleing will guarantee that you get your computer compromised. In thag case watch out for curse too. Vet WoW plugin users know what I mean.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you can filter mods by version on curse, curseforge as well as MCF instead of googling?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ok. Maybe make sure the DL is safe first too, lol.
But if you google a mod I find 9/10 times it comes up with legit curse/ modder ran sites.
It's one way I search for mods, I guess I'm savvy enough to spot a shady site.
While your advice isn't wrong you are implying that googleing will guarantee that you get your computer compromised. In thag case watch out for curse too. Vet WoW plugin users know what I mean.

Perhaps I should clarify.

When googling for a version which does not exist (Let's say EE2 for 1.8.7 as an example), since it does not exist the only hits you are going to get are going to be the fraudulent sites, none of the legitimate sites will show up because they don't have a mod that doesn't exist. The bad sites, however, WILL try and tell you that they have that version of that mod for that version of MC, even if it is complete BS.

Personally, I don't use google searches to find mod pages. I've got bookmarks for some of them, I've got Curse for some of them, and I've got the FTB forum for the rest of 'em. You can search Curse for a specific mod, which would be much safer.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I need to actually find thae propper MC curse search. I never use it because it leads me to WoW plugins.

I also never thought hackers where that elaborate in their methodology.