FTB Xbox Series X/S

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xaetacore

Jun 10, 2021
I am creating this thread to get some thoughts on a sensitive matter(Mods for consoles), i have recently stumbled uppon a thread from 2014 discussing the possibility of FTB being ported to consoles but it was disregarded for the consoles not being open enough.

Recently i managed to get a PS2(PCSX) running withing Retroarch(Which was in .wup package format) by side loading/installing it on the dev environment for Xbox Series X.
The Xbox Series(and to my knowledge Xbox one) offer a option to purchase a dev key for 19Dollars, with this key you can switch in and out of dev mode on the console(This requires a restart).
In this mode you can dedicate a portion of your storage to the dev environment, where you can freely install applications that are not listed on the market.
Via this method you could if adapted to a console port FTB to run inside a .wup package on the Xbox Series X harnessing its power and allowing people to use mods on the xbox series x

Im quite handy when it comes to tech but im by no means a full grown developer, i just thought this might be an interesting experiment for someone to try out, and i'm curious to what the rest of the community thinks about this concept.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Unfortunately, the answer is 'impossible'. Here's why:

First off, you need to understand that FTB is a modpack launcher for the Java version of the game. All it does is organize your mods and launches Minecraft in a modded state. It relies on Forge API and the mods themselves to actually modify the game.

There's huge differences between Java and Bedrock editions of Minecraft, they're explicitly incompatible, and mods are explicitly not permitted on the Bedrock version of Minecraft. For why, go ask Microsoft, it was their decision. So it's entirely pointless to have an FTB launcher when no mods are permitted on the platform in the first place.

You won't be able to run the Java version of Minecraft without also installing some form of Java, which I don't believe is possible on any sort of Xbox, dev tools or not.

tl;dr: Not going to happen. Ever. No, not even then. Not because we wouldn't want to, but because we are incapable of doing so, and would rather not get into a pissing match with Microsoft over the attempt.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Oh mods will eventually come to console, once they can figure out how to monetize them. Hell, when Microsoft purchased MC, they were touting how they could use it to 'teach the next generation of coders because the game is so easy to mod'... When they realized the couldn't make money off of it, Bedrock was born.. No mods, pay for skin packs etc etc...

This is the true stumbling block on mods for console in my opinion. Console makers would want to make money off the mods (good for them), but would have to compensate the mod makers in some way (not good for them).

You see their conflict, so they just say no.