Problem FTB Unleashed 1.1.3 Insane RAM usage? (server kills?)

TechStack

Jul 29, 2019
hmm it may be that it is using the GC ( garbage collector more often now ) not sure how good you are with linux but if you do
PS -ef |grep java

You can get the exact commands Creeperhost are calling on your system
( you'll need to login using an SSH client like Putty to issue that command )
you should get something back like

500 16731 16730 99 Aug15 pts/0 03:10:00 java -d64 -server -XX:+UseG1GC -DJINTEGRA_NATIVE_MODE -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=IPADDRESS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=13370 -DJINTEGRA_COINIT_VALUE=0 -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500 -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:parallelGCThreads=4 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:permSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -XX:+UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xnoclassgc -Xverify:none -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseThreadPriorities -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -Xrs -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xmx7419M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui XXXYOURSERVERIPHEREXXX

that is from my server( I removed my IP)

you could compare the commands with max memory and adaptive to see what options they may be chaging.

Also are you running anything else on your server other than Minecraft? i have teamspeak and some other things.

Revamp1984

Jul 29, 2019
Ive got TS installed but disabled, and we have Mumble installed & running.

As far as Putty etc goes, im not good enough with I to actually understand it, or mess with it (don't want to break anything)
If my MEM caps out at 78% its an improvement to a crash every 15 min

TechStack

Jul 29, 2019
OK its possible the other apps are using some of that memory and that could have been the problem but it sounds like it would have been installed /ran by creeperhost so i would think they should have accounted for it to bad if they didn't :(

PUtty is easy to use you just need to learn some basic Linux commands

is your friend. it shows the top running processes , CPU & Ram usage of your server by process. so you can see if Minecraft is eating 2gb or if its mumble.

if you do find yourself using the top command
use the q key on your keyboard to close it :)

moff3tt

Jul 29, 2019
I would just like to add I am in the same boat. Except my server never really had much trouble with killing itself. Very little lag, just heavy memory usage with CH. Running Direwolf20 1.5.2 v2 (1.1.3)

I ran the top command and the minecraft server is the only process hogging all the memory.

TechStack

Jul 29, 2019
So far I've tracked down the memory issues to players duping items :(
I say this because every time i have caught someone doing it the ram usage has gone sky high. when they don't everything seems to run just fine.

They have used several methods but most of them involve the Vajra

I've also fixed the lag on my server for the most part by setting up a lava generation system so no one has to load chunks in the lava age or nether to get lava.
less ages loaded = less task for the game to perform.

Also we had one advanced player that had several lag machines he had created accidentally.
1. A setup going into his Mass fab that first went thru about 40 MFSU's before dumping the power into the mass fab. when we bypassed the mfsu it reduced the tick time from about 100Ms to 30ms ( < 50ms is your goal for 20 /20 tps)

2. a Massive MFFS force field ( 40+ range upgrades) i found out that just by turning off his force field it would reduce the tile entity count from ~ 12000 to 10000.... this was just one force field.... this can cause lag because every tile entity has a chance to do a task every tick. we replaced it with a defense station instead set to kill, they are more secure anyway because players can glitch through force-fields

3. He had setup a cobble gen system going into inter-dimensional barrels that had AE storage buses on them. It was about 20 of these barrels.As soon as he removed the AE system it was like flipping off the lag switch... again a tick went from 100+ ms to < 40ms

I found the MFSU issue by making a copy of our world on my pc and installing the tick threading mod ( i did it on a backup on my pc because it can cause problems with the world) and use its features to find the Chunks that were taking the longest to do a single tick. It pointed right to the guys base :)

Hopefully my experience will help both of you troubleshoot your servers. I know the lag issues i was having made it so i basically didn't play because every time i would log on it would be a lag hunting expedition or restarting the server.

TechSTack