FTB Skyfactory 3 - Mobs not spawning in farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, (wow, I haven't been here in a while)

I built a small mob farm in my Sky Factory 3 world. It was spawning mobs the last time I played, but now it isn't. The only "technical" thing I've changed was switch to an alpha version of Curse to use the new Minecraft launcher. I have tried toggling /gamerule doMobSpawning from true to false to true, and switching from peaceful to hard. I've also tried going into gamemode 1 and flying out a bit to see if it was just a distance thing. Still, nothing. Here is a screenshot of my farm. At the spawn area, there are upper slabs, so mobs could spawn there, but I'm too close to the spots for any spawning to occur, anyway.

Attachments

• 2017-02-02_14.55.43.png
    2017-02-02_14.55.43.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 861

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017
Weird, had a similar problem in my world and tracked it down to the MobFan in a single spawning lane - but you do not have one.

One advice though, do not use half slabs for the walls. Skeletons might shoot you and creepers explode.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Maybe it's the angle, but I can't tell if the floor is a half slab or not... When in doubt, ask the stupid question...

Is the mob spawning room a viable level to spawn?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I thought the red crosses just indicate light level /shrug

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
They kind of do. There's sky/sun light and light from torches, and the actual light level of a block is determined by if it's lit from the sky or from an external light source, like a torch.
Yellow X's mean there's only sky light, meaning mobs can spawn there at night.
Red X's mean no sky light and not enoygh external light, that is, it's always dark enough for mobs to spawn. No X's will appear, no matter the light level, if it's not a valid area, that is, a transparent block, a bottom slab, or a one block tall space.

Hnm... I'm seeing red X's where there shouldn't be red X's, like at the side of the path under the slabs/railing. There shouldn't be an X at all, as it isn't a valid spawning block, plus a sky-lit block is next to it. The spawn area itself looks a bit light inside (on the floor anyway). Do any mobs spawn at night?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Check which biome the spawn area has. Just thinking if it still can generate mushroom island biomes in SF3. Perhaps it shouldn't show red x's then?

Edit: Noticed that it has been spawning, so the above shouldn't be the case. Could it be built next to a biome boundary and moved slightly?

Last edited: