FTB Revelations - Roots mob spawning

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThatMinecraftingGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, i found this little Roots building inside the ground on the surface with some thatch roof and mossy cobble and its spawning endless mobs. I have no idea why or how to make it stop, ive dug around and theres no spawner. Help me out, is there anything i can do to make them stop spawning? its right where ive started building. Thanks in advance.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
That building is a "structure." Which is a technical term used in vanilla minecraft. The ocean monument, witch hut, and nether fortress are all structures. Special spawning rules apply to these area's.

The structures are defined somewhere in the saves data. There are tools to edit them, as some CTM map makers have done so, but I don't know how, and I don't know if it works on modded stuff. (it is possible Roots uses custom methods and doesn't hook into the vanilla code for structures)

EDIT: It seems the above information was incorrect, read post below.

From my experience with these Roots buildings, Mobs don't spawn in daylight, but torchlight does nothing. I haven't tested modded items that prevent spawning such as the the powered lamp from Immersive Engineering, or the Interdiction torch from Reliquary, or the Giant torch from Torch Master. If you do test them (just cheat them in to test) please let us know your findings.

If all you want to do is loot the chest in peace, then just do so in the day, and make sure enough daylight enters the building.
If all else fails; You could just fill the structure with blocks to stop the spawning.

Last edited:

ThatMinecraftingGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Ive looked into the config, and i wasnt able to find a setting relating to this. Ill update you after trying a spawn preventing item.

UPDATE: After attempting spawn prevention, i found another thread that recommended trying this command "/kill @e[type=!Player,r=10]" and it seems to have killed a "entity.barrow.name" and the mob spawning has stopped. If anyone else runs into this problem of these preventing your building, use this command.

Last edited:

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
or you could just build somewhere else and use it as a very ghetto mob spawner.

ThatMinecraftingGuy

Jul 29, 2019
or you could just build somewhere else and use it as a very ghetto mob spawner.
You missed the point. I wanted to build there and had already begun..... Hence the problem... If i hadnt wanted to build there, there wouldnt have been a problem or a post....

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
UPDATE: After attempting spawn prevention, i found another thread that recommended trying this command "/kill @e[type=!Player,r=10]" and it seems to have killed a "entity.barrow.name" and the mob spawning has stopped. If anyone else runs into this problem of these preventing your building, use this command.

Interesting...
So it isn't a "structure" area! It is a hidden entity that spawns mobs within a radius. We've learned something new then. Thank you for the feedback.

In hindsight, I should have thought about it more, the spawning behavior of those roods buildings was very different from vanilla structures.