FTB Revelations Connection Issues

Rakaesa

Jul 29, 2019
The server is ran locally on my PC.
  • What OS are you running?

Windows 10.

• Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft?

Local server, hosting via the standard Revelations server file downloaded from the official FTB site.

• What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version)

Revelation v. 1.6.0 for Minecraft 1.12.2

• Did you add any mods to the server pack?

No.

• What are your server specs?

I have 16GB of DDR4 ram and an Intel i7-7700K 4.20GHz. Plenty to run a server, and I can--locally.

• A good detailed paragraph about the problem

Essentially, I've been trying to get the server to run 'properly' for over a week now. Using hamachi it's a cakewalk, my friends and I can connect to the server together with little to no problems whatsoever. However, when using Hamachi or any LAN emulator, there's some server lag. Particularly when I'm playing with friends overseas, this can be a problem for them. So, I wanted to port forward properly and get the server functioning without Hamachi. And so my journey began.

Without the port forward and even trying to do it manually, I receive the error

io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: no further information:

When trying to connect to the server via my external IP address. Yes, I've made sure it's the correct address, and I've made sure the server is running on port 25565. The server-ip: part of the settings is left blank as recommended. Even when my firewall and all anti-viruses are completely disabled, this error still remains.

I tried to do it manually at first by messing with the router, but the router that I have is finicky and really doesn't let you port forward easily. So I purchased and downloaded portforward.com 's program, and they guided me with dedicated support when I couldn't get it working on my own--they didn't have support for my router, and they added it. After a week of effort, we finally got it working, and their port checker tool confirms that the port 25565 is open and functioning now. But, I'm still getting the exact same error, despite that fact.

Upon doing some googling around, I tried adding the lines:

-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfml.readTimeout=60

To my settings.bat Java parameters. To my dismay, even this did not fix the issue. So, I'm at a bit of a dead end here. The server appears to start up just fine, and when I connect via localhost or turn on Hamachi and connect via Hamachi's IP, things work okay. Even with the port forwarded and my firewall disabled, however, trying to connect via my external IP results in this error. Any advice would be appreciated.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
If the client and server is on the same machine, that client should always use localhost or 127.0.0.1 when connecting to the server.

If client and server are on different machines, but on the same local network - then the local network address should be used when connecting. Usually this is a 192.168.x.x something address, but depending on your setup (dhcp function in router or otherwise) - that could be a different one.

Clients outside your local network should use your public ip-address, and those then pass via the router and when they are comming in on the port you selected, that will get forwarded to the server that you pointed out in the router.

Does this answer your question?

EDIT: There should not be a ip-address specified in the server.properties - if there is remove that IP

Rakaesa

Jul 29, 2019
If the client and server is on the same machine, that client should always use localhost or 127.0.0.1 when connecting to the server.

If client and server are on different machines, but on the same local network - then the local network address should be used when connecting. Usually this is a 192.168.x.x something address, but depending on your setup (dhcp function in router or otherwise) - that could be a different one.

Clients outside your local network should use your public ip-address, and those then pass via the router and when they are comming in on the port you selected, that will get forwarded to the server that you pointed out in the router.

Does this answer your question?

EDIT: There should not be a ip-address specified in the server.properties - if there is remove that IP
I finally got around to testing it, wasn't available for quite some time--As I said in my original post, the IP address section is left blank.

I am not the only person who receives an error upon trying to join. If my friends try to join via my external IP, they get the exact same error. io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: no further information:

My port is forwarded, if router is disabled it makes no difference, etc.