Problem FTB Revelation and Linux Server Terminal

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nezmin2

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Guys,
I am looking for how to download the FTBrevelation server files to my linux server using the command line only. I have come up empty searching google.

N

Neiko

One of the easier ways would be to download it from another device with a GUI, put it on a flash drive or net drive and then pull from there. Otherwise I was able to download it directly on the server by going to the download page for the server file on a different machine with a GUI, right clicking the "download button, and then choosing the "Copy Link Location" option. I pasted that into a wget command on the server, which downloaded the zip file. From there I could extract the files and then install the server itself by running the install script that was in the zip file.

This is an example command using the most latest version of Revelations as of this time (Revelation 2.5.0), and it will download to your current directory.
Code:
wget "https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-revelation/files/2618046/download"

If you want to download the file to a specific directory in the server instead of your current directory, you can use the -P switch. In this example it would save to the folder at "/home/minecraft/revelation/"
Code:
wget  -P /home/minecraft/revelation/ "https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-revelation/files/2618046/download"

Last edited:

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Does this work for you?

Code:
curl -o FTBRevelationServer_2.5.0.zip https://media.forgecdn.net/files/2618/46/FTBRevelationServer_2.5.0.zip

Should create the file in the working directory.

What I did to find that URL:
I downloaded the file in firefox on my desktop, then I looked at what the URL of the download was.
Then I tried out the command above in the terminal to see if it worked, and it did for me.

A small confession; I don't actually use Linux, I use macOS, but I'm pretty sure cURL works the same on Linux.

N

Neiko

I posted back on Friday, but this is a new account and I can't post links yet so I'm re-adding it here without the links. I couldn't find a direct URL to the download file online normally, so I had to use a workaround. If the URL from SevenMass is accurate, you can use that link in the command. Mods can feel free to delete this after approving the first reply, merge the comments, or do whatever is needed at this point.

One of the easier ways would be to download it from another device with a GUI, put it on a flash drive or net drive and then pull from there. Otherwise I was able to download it directly on the server by going to the download page for the server file on a different machine with a GUI, right clicking the "download button, and then choosing the "Copy Link Location" option. I pasted that into a wget command on the server, which downloaded the zip file. From there I could extract the files and then install the server itself by running the install script that was in the zip file.

This is an example command using the most latest version of Revelations as of this time (Revelation 2.5.0), and it will download to your current directory.
Code:
wget "insert-link"

If you want to download the file to a specific directory in the server instead of your current directory, you can use the -P switch. In this example it would save to the folder at "/home/minecraft/revelation/"
Code:
wget  -P /home/minecraft/revelation/ "insert-link"

I'm personally just starting out my Linux knowledge recently for setting up some home servers, and ran into this issue as well so hopefully this information is helpful. Doing a quick research online both the curl and wget commands "should" work for downloading a file, they just do it in a different manner. The one thing in particular that seems different is wget supports recursive download, while curl doesn’t. In my setup though I specifically used wget and had no issues.

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I've been running a linux server for modded minecraft for about 5 years now. While I do use command line to start the server and manage the scripting used to back it up and start it. I've found it easier to just download the server pack to my gaming rig then use WinSCP to upload the extracted files to my linux machine. Much easier then trying to find the download URLs and use the wget command. Plus, it allows me to modify the server or test it before uploading to my linux box. This is especially handy for updating the server as I can rename the new directories (mods, config, scripts, etc.) upload them while the server is still live. Then the upgrade is simple. Shut it down, rename the directories on the server, take a backup, then start the server up again.

Nezmin2

Jul 29, 2019
Does this work for you?

Code:
curl -o FTBRevelationServer_2.5.0.zip https://media.forgecdn.net/files/2618/46/FTBRevelationServer_2.5.0.zip

Should create the file in the working directory.

What I did to find that URL:
I downloaded the file in firefox on my desktop, then I looked at what the URL of the download was.
Then I tried out the command above in the terminal to see if it worked, and it did for me.

A small confession; I don't actually use Linux, I use macOS, but I'm pretty sure cURL works the same on Linux.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Nezmin2

Jul 29, 2019
I posted back on Friday, but this is a new account and I can't post links yet so I'm re-adding it here without the links. I couldn't find a direct URL to the download file online normally, so I had to use a workaround. If the URL from SevenMass is accurate, you can use that link in the command. Mods can feel free to delete this after approving the first reply, merge the comments, or do whatever is needed at this point.

Code:
wget "insert-link"

Code:
wget  -P /home/minecraft/revelation/ "insert-link"

I'm personally just starting out my Linux knowledge recently for setting up some home servers, and ran into this issue as well so hopefully this information is helpful. Doing a quick research online both the curl and wget commands "should" work for downloading a file, they just do it in a different manner. The one thing in particular that seems different is wget supports recursive download, while curl doesn’t. In my setup though I specifically used wget and had no issues.

I did know about this. However, now they are using that damn advertisement page that you have to click through. It makes using the wget or curl command fail.

Nezmin2

Jul 29, 2019
I've been running a linux server for modded minecraft for about 5 years now. While I do use command line to start the server and manage the scripting used to back it up and start it. I've found it easier to just download the server pack to my gaming rig then use WinSCP to upload the extracted files to my linux machine. Much easier then trying to find the download URLs and use the wget command. Plus, it allows me to modify the server or test it before uploading to my linux box. This is especially handy for updating the server as I can rename the new directories (mods, config, scripts, etc.) upload them while the server is still live. Then the upgrade is simple. Shut it down, rename the directories on the server, take a backup, then start the server up again.

Awesome, thanks. I will check this out.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Can you provide a screenshot of that advertisement page? Curling e.g. https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-presents-skyfactory-3/files/2481284/download works fine for me.

This link isn't the actual download link, it links to an other link. If you use this link with cURL, it will output an empty file.

If you download this link in firefox, then look at the downloads browser and choose the option "copy download link" from the contextual menu, (and then paste it somewhere) you see a different url that stats with "media.forgecdn.net"

Using that link in cURL will output the actual file.

At least, that's how it works for me.

N

Neiko

This link isn't the actual download link, it links to an other link. If you use this link with cURL, it will output an empty file.

If you download this link in firefox, then look at the downloads browser and choose the option "copy download link" from the contextual menu, (and then paste it somewhere) you see a different url that stats with "media.forgecdn.net"

Using that link in cURL will output the actual file.

At least, that's how it works for me.
The direct url would be ideal, I wish that was posted publicly on the downloads to reference in command line environments. I didn't think to pull it from the download details on a GUI interface to grab the direct url though, I'll have to keep that in mind next time I need to pull a server .zip. That being said, when I did a wget with the url after copying the "download" url, it seemed to work for me. In my case it just downloaded it as "download.zip", but it still had the server contents inside for me to extract so maybe I was just lucky.