FTB Revelation 1.5.0 Server Can't Keep Up Console Spam

A

AZbadfish

What OS are you running?
I'll be honest here, I have no clue what OS the server is run on. I've poked around a bit on our host site but cannot find that info.

Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft?
We are using a hosting provider, minecraft-hosting.pro

What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version)
FTB Revelation 1.5.0

Did you add any mods to the server pack?
Yes we did:

Refined Storage 1.5.31
Reborn Storage 1.12.2-3.0.5.41
Refined Storage Addons 0.2
Ore Excatavation 1.4.113

What are your server specs?
10GB of RAM,
Intel i7-7700K OC, 4c/8t - 4.7GHz/5.00 GHz, 64Go DDR4 2400 MHz, SSD NVMe
(not sure what all those CPU numbers mean, but it is the overclocked CPU option so I just copied what they said it was)

A good detailed paragraph about the problem:

We were having some extreme lag on the server, nobody seems to know why. It may or may not have been related to ungodly amounts of butterflies that found their way to unloaded chunks in the ocean (which we found a command to kill). At any rate we decided to finally update the pack (were on Beta version 1.2.0) to 1.5.0 to see if that helped with the lag we were still feeling.

Most people are happy with the update, but I myself am not. After the update the console logs are being absolutely spammed with the good old "can't keep up ... skipping x ticks" messages. I'm used to seeing those every once in a while and normally am not bothered by them. But when I say spammed I really do mean it, it's showing up every 1-3 seconds. Even now, with nobody on the server and our RAM and CPU usage under 50%. We've tried unloading chunks but that doesn't seem to help either.

For most people they don't notice it, but for me after I've been playing for an hour or two the lag (if that's what it truly is) gets to where it's unplayable. I'm not sure if my personal "lag" problems are related to the server messages as nobody else seems to have an issue (even when they come to my base, so that's not it either) but the constant log message spam has all the admins nervous. I guess I'm looking to see if there are any things we can do to figure out what is causing it.

Thanks for your time,
-AZ

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
overclocked CPU option
Not saying that it's because of this - but mention this to make you aware.
Overclocking will ofc have impact on cpu-cycles, and if you've unlucky this can have negative effects - create "time-jumps" - and for a java-based game as Minecraft, that can cause strange issues.
(comparable with a virtual machine that get time force-synchronized from the host to often)

Refined Storage 1.5.31
Reborn Storage 1.12.2-3.0.5.41
Refined Storage Addons 0.2
Ore Excatavation 1.4.113
About these added - did you add these from start?

If not, was there issues before these where added?

If you can, provide a log as well - go for the /logs/fml-server-latest.log (after the server has been started and the errors have occured), use paste.feed-the-beast.com and give the link.

If you suspect it's something in-game, check this mod out:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/tickprofiler

Only needed server side.

And as you pay for this server/service from a hoster - have you tried talking to them and see if they can figure it out, as you pay for it - they should be able to help you out as well.

A

AZbadfish

Thanks for the reply! I'm very sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, it's been an interesting couple of days for me.

Overclocking will ofc have impact on cpu-cycles, and if you've unlucky this can have negative effects - create "time-jumps" - and for a java-based game as Minecraft, that can cause strange issues.

I see, was not really aware of that. We still have more than a month on our current option so if turns out to be that I can see if the host can migrate us to a server without the overclocked cpu. But we've been on the server for a little over 3 months now without these particular issues.

About these added - did you add these from start?

If not, was there issues before these where added?

Ore Excavation has been part of it since the beginning, Refined Storage and its addon mods were added around a month ago. They never seemed to cause an issue, this console spam has only started in the last week. I suppose these particular versions of those mods have only been on since the update to 1.5.0 (I added the latest versions of them when we updated the pack), but the lag on the server started a day or two before the update and in fact was one of the reasons we decided to update.

If you can, provide a log as well - go for the /logs/fml-server-latest.log

Not sure if it's something on my end, but the paste.feedthebeast.com captcha seemed to be having some issues, so I went for pastebin instead. Here's the fml-server-lastest.log that was on the server.
https://pastebin.com/VMJBavBF

I've also added tickprofiler and looked over the wiki at the commands. This seems to be useful, but to be honest I'm not sure the best way to use it or what I would do with the information. But here is the result of our /tps which definitely seems to indicate some lag.

https://i.imgur.com/vHyTYwh.png

As far as the server host support - the trade off for the inexpensive server seems to be support. Not only do they usually take a long time to get back with us, but in most cases they don't seem to know what they're talking about. They really only can assist with hardware issues. I did open a ticket with them at the same time I made this post and their response was to ask me about my ping times and connection to the server - which in my head would have exactly 0 impact on this issue.

Thanks again!

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
This looks like a shared machine - am I right?
(basing this on this from your log: /home/minecraft/servers/mine205720/)
If this is true - this could also be part of the issue, too many servers running on the same hardware.

You start using a webpage/controlpanel of sorts?

I've also added tickprofiler and looked over the wiki at the commands. This seems to be useful, but to be honest I'm not sure the best way to use it or what I would do with the information. But here is the result of our /tps which definitely seems to indicate some lag.

https://i.imgur.com/vHyTYwh.png

That tps is not good at all, should be on 20 or at least around 20.

And nothing else sticks out on those numbers, entitites or such, just bad tps - you could try and do a

/profile e

And see if anything sticks out.

a /profile c
could also be worth checking