FTB Overwolf App interfering

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Kadikular

Jan 1, 2021
I recently (and reluctantly) updated to the Overwolf FTB App from the legacy launcher due to latest versions not being available on the old launcher.

The new app works in a way such that it modifies your vanilla Minecraft launcher's versions by adding the modpack, and it seems to have completely removed all other vanilla Minecraft versions previously present. Is there a way to fix this?

To be a bit more specific, originally my vanilla Minecraft had Optifine, Forge, Fabric and a few other versions attached to 1.16.4 in the Minecraft launcher. I used to use these for QOL mods to play on Vanilla realms/servers. Once I installed FTB Revelations 3.4.0 via the FTB App, it had completely removed all other versions with only the Revelations now being available. I can't just open the "Minecraft Launcher" as I used to as now it only shows revelations. I tried reinstalling Optifine and even manually adding the path to the instances and it won't show up.

Why does the FTB App have to mess with the default Microsoft Minecraft launcher? And why does it redirect it to its own installation? Is there any way to undo this?

Also is there a way to get FTB Revelations 3.4.0 on the legacy launcher? I don't want this FTB App and overwolf on my pc xD

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
It doesn't remove your old vanilla installation, that is still on your machine.

It does like you say, modify a vanilla installation of the Minecraft launcher to create instances with settings per pack played, but that vanilla installation is created in a different location than the default installation from Mojang.

So nothing is removed from your default installation.

Also is there a way to get FTB Revelations 3.4.0 on the legacy launcher? I don't want this FTB App and overwolf on my pc xD
No, the legacy launcher will not get any updates.

Kadikular

Jan 1, 2021
To be more specific of what I mean by "remove", I mean it modifies the vanilla Minecraft launcher by adding the mod modpack's instance to it. And by doing this it stops showing the other instances. The instances still exist but are no longer present or accessible in the launcher.

This happens because the FTB App redirects the Minecraft launcher's folder to the .ftba folder rather than the original .minecraft folder with no simple way of reversing it.

If I launch Minecraft from the default "Minecraft Launcher" it now only shows the modpack. I'd expect this executable to still direct to the .minecraft folder and not the .ftba folder. I'd only expect the Minecraft launcher opened by the FTB App to direct to this .ftba folder.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
To be more specific of what I mean by "remove", I mean it modifies the vanilla Minecraft launcher by adding the mod modpack's instance to it. And by doing this it stops showing the other instances. The instances still exist but are no longer present or accessible in the launcher.

Nope, it doesn't touch the vanilla .minecraft installation at all - please read what I wrote again, check your shortcuts if you use that.

The default location of the vanilla launcher on Windows is C:\program files(86)\Minecraft Launcher\Launcher.exe - this is the one that defaults to %appdata%\.minecraft

Make sure not to have FTB app running when you launch the default one, and you should find that your old instances are there.

Kadikular

Jan 1, 2021
Ahh so my problem is having both running simultaneously? Which is something I often do

I will test it soon, thanks

Kadikular

Jan 1, 2021
I have not tested yet, but if I recall I had uninstalled the FTB App and also reinstalled the minecraft launcher, it still pointed to the .ftba folder... Although I may have needed to restart my pc at that point.