FTB no server plugins issue discussion thread.

Malkierian

Jul 29, 2019
Milestone 0.1 is due in 9 days, but I think we'll be ready for a release before then. Just some bug squashing to do, which could be helped along by anyone who wants to do so.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
well a question. last time i tried the mod.got some sql errors when connencting to the server. Is mysql mandatory ? do you know something about this ?

http://pastebin.com/XEybhHur

P.S. Also : 2013-01-10 21:20:13 [INFO] {Forge Essentials} WARNING! MySQLConnector for playerLogger failed!
no error. just that message. SQL is working. The mod created the tables

blockChange
commands
playerTracker

Malkierian

Jul 29, 2019
MySQL IS required for PlayerLogger. It's too intensive for anything else.

Did you have it installed prior to that last time? If so, you may need to delete your permissions config and database files before trying again. Make sure you get the latest nightly, if you don't go after the dev builds.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
ok. will thy a fresh install with the latest build :)

seems to work just fine :D . can't figure the permission system yet ... and yes . i have read the documentation. but its strange. isn't easier to just make a group config and put all groups and permission there ? like in groupmanager ? ( but make global permissions and groups in 1 file ? ) its easy'r ( for me ) to edit a config then to make groups via in game commands.

P.S. what future development you have in plan ? will you make any register mods ? ( yes. i know i shuld have my server online. And i support minecraft premium ( i have payed minecraft , but not my friends ), and i don;t want to install fihgu's just for register mod )

Mivk

Jul 29, 2019
can someone tell me how to give my "users", the ability to use certain commands? I've tried all night, but cant seem to do anything to change it.. :(

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
have you read this ? https://github.com/ForgeEssentials/ForgeEssentialsMain/wiki/Permissions

/p group create Members &f[&2Member&f]
/p group Members priority set 10
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.afk
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.bed
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.home
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.home.set
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.motd
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.rules
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.spawn
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.Chat.msg
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.Chat.r
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.Protection.allowEdits
/p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.Protection.allowBlockInteractions
/p user AbrarSyed group set Members

logoster

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to post this here because it's the most immediately relevant topic for it, but I may end up starting a new topic entirely if it merits it. This is, I feel, something every person administrating a modded Minecraft server should check out and think about.

Earlier this week, in the land of the Almighty Bukkit: http://t.co/7Od0X5og

If that's too much of a read for you, let me summarize: LexManos and CPW made one final, last-ditch attempt at working for a copacetic solution for Forge and bukkit. And they got shut down, starting with this gem as an opener:

That's the bukkit team telling the Forge crew -- and by extension, every single one of us running a server with the mods made possible by Forge and FML -- that they do not consider us at all an important demographic. They don't care. They're too big/important/ineffable/<insert arrogant jerkish posturing adjective here> to give a damn about us, our communities, and the development tools that make them possible. That to them so much as asking for a simple directory of how they handle their mappings so a translation codex between bukkit and MCP could be nailed down once and for all is just too much and that we should be grateful for what scraps they give us.

They've also made it fairly clear that they see Forge -- and modded Minecraft by extension -- as a threat to their project, and in that circumstance they're going to bunker up rather than come to a mutually beneficial solution.

So what do we do?

First off, we stop asking people to handle bukkit ports of our favorite mods, as well as the forge framework itself. Bukkit wants nothing to do with modded Minecraft, they've broadcast this loud and clear, so we should wash our hands of them. There will be a point at which these unofficial ports will all fall down flat and go boom; that almost happened already and was salvaged by some other community members for this particular go-round. We need and deserve a better solution, one that doesn't depend on somebody outside of the projects to "save the day", and we should work towards attaining that.

Secondly, we should support and assist the Forge team in their endeavors to provide the kinds of server management functionality we're going to need now that it's obvious a compromise will never be reached. Let your voice be heard in threads like this one about what functionality you're going to need. Donate to the Forge mod developers, because other than our thanks that's all they're getting for doing this and they have bills to pay too (I'd post links but it's a bit hard retrieving them on my netbook here, so if somebody could provide those I'd greatly appreciate it) and they often don't get the spotlight for their silent work in the background. Stay on top of your favorite mods and their developers and assist them where possible or necessary in having mods compatible natively with the kinds of server management tools we'll be seeing coming in the near future.

And lastly, don't waste time or resources further trying to engage bukkit on this. Their stance has been laid bare: they wish to be known for their past accomplishments rather than for building bridges into the future. The paradigm of server and client in Minecraft changed in 1.3.2 and is certain to continue to evolve; bukkit has decided to remain as they are, content in being the big fish they see themselves as. I personally think they're merely fossilizing; nobody runs to the museum to shout at dinosaurs at how they're stupid fossils, and so we shouldn't go over there and do that either. Let's channel our energies as server admins and lovers of modded Minecraft towards making something new instead. Let future demographics judge these events.

Murum aries attigit. Let's "win" by supporting the forward-looking product here and cultivating the better community. They can keep their old server-only solution and their "upper hand". Maybe if we're successful enough we can even make them regret that stance, but at that point we'll all be running fully-integrated modded servers with the protections we all want and the gameplay we all enjoy, and with no more of these backroom shenanigans making the whole setup so fragile.

Edit: Added a quickie screenshot of the meat of the bukkit post, just in case it happens to get "misplaced" once somebody figures out how bad it looks.

:O i didnt even notice that lexmanos and cpw posted on the thread i started, lol, still sucks that bukkit just refuses to work with forge whatsoever

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
we just have to deal with it. server administration mods are coming. I keep an eye on forge essentials and its coming up very nice. that's all i need for me and my team of friends to start playing. i did not see a minecraft player that played with mods for a week and went back to vanilla minecraft. On a long term,real minecraft players will stick to forge and forget about bukkit servers made buy 12 ears old kids

WitherSauce

Jul 29, 2019
Its already been mentioned in the thread, but BukkitForge as it is now works very well. It ports bukkit plugins to work with forge. At the moment with BukkitForge v1.4.7-91 on MindCrack v7, im able to run ClearLag, Lockette, WorldBorder, CoreProtect, Essentials, and GroupManager without any problems.

Phuriousgeorge

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Greed, any updates on the FTB side of the house? Last update I saw to this issue was back in November saying things may be resolved within a month. Just curious what FTB crew is up to ;)

P.S. Nice to see you over here. You appear to have jumped the Tekkit ship a little sooner than me. Missed the discussions ;)

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
I will try and check up this weak. I have bin inactive on the teamspeak and forums lately due to family issues. I hope il be back soon but i need a little time.

Il update as soon as i can.

Phuriousgeorge

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the update. Hope all is well. I did hop on the teamspeak these last two weekends hoping to have some discussions regarding servers, but my gosh it's hard to find anyone. No idea where the server admins hang out.

soulgriever

Jul 29, 2019
Idk about you phur but Ive been waiting quite a few months for some protection options, FTB has been quite slow on promised features

Puppier

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still a little confused.

There is not away to build Forge server plugins? Or just port Bukkit plugins?

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
there are new options coming out to give the capability to add bucket plugins to your server. Il try to add the info and explanation to the OP soon.

Andraes

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Mindcrack v.7 server with working BukkitForge but not all the plugins work. And sometimes 2 plugins are not working together and all the comands dosen't work.
Can someone help me with my problem?

Samuk912

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All

i am running FTB Ultimate but i cant get plugins to run such as dynmap grifprevention etc can someone tell me how to get these working as all it is doing is crashing my server

Arcros23

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to post this here because it's the most immediately relevant topic for it, but I may end up starting a new topic entirely if it merits it. This is, I feel, something every person administrating a modded Minecraft server should check out and think about.

If that's too much of a read for you, let me summarize: LexManos and CPW made one final, last-ditch attempt at working for a copacetic solution for Forge and bukkit. And they got shut down, starting with this gem as an opener:

That's the bukkit team telling the Forge crew -- and by extension, every single one of us running a server with the mods made possible by Forge and FML -- that they do not consider us at all an important demographic. They don't care. They're too big/important/ineffable/<insert arrogant jerkish posturing adjective here> to give a damn about us, our communities, and the development tools that make them possible. That to them so much as asking for a simple directory of how they handle their mappings so a translation codex between bukkit and MCP could be nailed down once and for all is just too much and that we should be grateful for what scraps they give us.

They've also made it fairly clear that they see Forge -- and modded Minecraft by extension -- as a threat to their project, and in that circumstance they're going to bunker up rather than come to a mutually beneficial solution.

So what do we do?

First off, we stop asking people to handle bukkit ports of our favorite mods, as well as the forge framework itself. Bukkit wants nothing to do with modded Minecraft, they've broadcast this loud and clear, so we should wash our hands of them. There will be a point at which these unofficial ports will all fall down flat and go boom; that almost happened already and was salvaged by some other community members for this particular go-round. We need and deserve a better solution, one that doesn't depend on somebody outside of the projects to "save the day", and we should work towards attaining that.

Secondly, we should support and assist the Forge team in their endeavors to provide the kinds of server management functionality we're going to need now that it's obvious a compromise will never be reached. Let your voice be heard in threads like this one about what functionality you're going to need. Donate to the Forge mod developers, because other than our thanks that's all they're getting for doing this and they have bills to pay too (I'd post links but it's a bit hard retrieving them on my netbook here, so if somebody could provide those I'd greatly appreciate it) and they often don't get the spotlight for their silent work in the background. Stay on top of your favorite mods and their developers and assist them where possible or necessary in having mods compatible natively with the kinds of server management tools we'll be seeing coming in the near future.

And lastly, don't waste time or resources further trying to engage bukkit on this. Their stance has been laid bare: they wish to be known for their past accomplishments rather than for building bridges into the future. The paradigm of server and client in Minecraft changed in 1.3.2 and is certain to continue to evolve; bukkit has decided to remain as they are, content in being the big fish they see themselves as. I personally think they're merely fossilizing; nobody runs to the museum to shout at dinosaurs at how they're stupid fossils, and so we shouldn't go over there and do that either. Let's channel our energies as server admins and lovers of modded Minecraft towards making something new instead. Let future demographics judge these events.

Murum aries attigit. Let's "win" by supporting the forward-looking product here and cultivating the better community. They can keep their old server-only solution and their "upper hand". Maybe if we're successful enough we can even make them regret that stance, but at that point we'll all be running fully-integrated modded servers with the protections we all want and the gameplay we all enjoy, and with no more of these backroom shenanigans making the whole setup so fragile.

Edit: Added a quickie screenshot of the meat of the bukkit post, just in case it happens to get "misplaced" once somebody figures out how bad it looks.

So what do we do?

I'm still laughing on the inside whenever I reread this thread. I fully understand its not a laughing matter but this gives me the motivation to get involved. Now, to start from the ground up.