FTB Monster Vs. Direwolf20

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WIDEO

Jul 29, 2019
I want to start a new minecraft game but i'm not sure which pack to go for. What's the different between the 2 in the title and which won would you consider to be more fun?

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Monster has a tun of mods and will make your system take a dive if it cant handle it. Some mods even feel a bit out of place.

Direworlf20's has less mods and it's easier on the system, the mods also work well with each other and offers a little bit of everything.

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking through both, and Monster seems abit unbalanced to me (well, if there is such a thing - Anyway, it's my opinion), with some mods looking too easy, to OP etc. I'd go with DW20 and disable the morph mod (as it seems to give access to fuel-free creative flight as soon as you reach the nether, even when the config says the flight attribute is disabled).

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Monster is for those who want to have everything in plentyness. Direwolf20 is for those who want tidbits of all the things and follow Direwolf's series. Direwolf's is slower to update and a lot less complete, but it's also alot more balanced and concise.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
In Direwolf BennieMods are not included! I think you can add it now on your own safely but well.
I would not consider Balance a problem.
If there is anything you don´t like or thing its OP just ignore it. We are playing a Sandbox game so do how and what you like.
If you play DW20 there are a lot of less mods you can choose.
In Monster you have a lot of Mods and combinations that might be OP, can you resist your inner will to be OP?

Reactions: Infallible83

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I see the DW20 pack as being the balanced moderate choice.
Monster is the full over the top option that directly out of the box might not give the most balanced play experience.

I personally plan on using monster once its stable(I would definitely recommend waiting a bit till the packs are out of beta to start a new world) and then disabling/configuring the things I don't like. It is hundreds times easier to remove things from an existing modpack than it is to add things.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I see the DW20 pack as being the balanced moderate choice.
Monster is the full over the top option that directly out of the box might not give the most balanced play experience.

I personally plan on using monster once its stable(I would definitely recommend waiting a bit till the packs are out of beta to start a new world) and then disabling/configuring the things I don't like. It is hundreds times easier to remove things from an existing modpack than it is to add things.

Dropping in a mod or two isnt too difficult, especially with the global configs.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Dropping in a mod or two isnt too difficult, especially with the global configs.
Simple answer, sure its not difficult. Drop it in and it runs.

Long answer, no at current time you have to manually keep every mod you add up to date, you have to personally do the reading to find out which version of each mod is the stable recommended version that works with the rest of the mods. And yes the universal configs will make sure that there is no ID conflicts etc, but as far as I understand it it will not add balancing etc.

Picking a larger modpack and disabling individual mods is a matter of a few clicks in the launcher. Everything will happen automatically from then on every time there is updates for the modpack. IMO that is far easier and will give a better polished experience than adding 2-3 mods manually.