FTB Monster server hardware specs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Marsruben

Jul 29, 2019
Hey! Im in need of help regarding server hosting. I've been hosting a server using Creeperhost, but I feel its way to expensive so I decided to buy a server for myself instead and host at home.
I was wondering if a server like this would be good to host a FTB Monster server with 50 people and machines running etc.

Processor: Intel I7-2600
Harddrive: 120gb SSD, 500gb HDD.
Memory: 8gb (Can be upgraded to 12-16gb)

Internet download 20gbits. internet upload 10gbits.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
i believe this could run that server.but dont believe me im not an expert..

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
It should be fine, but if you get like 10 players chunkloading different areas and the TPS starts going down add some more RAM

Marsruben

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the replies guys! : )

So the only thing needed is RAM then : )

While I'm at it, is there anything special I should ban or disable mods? This is going to be a public 50 player server : )

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
at the beggining you should leave all items and then track people to see if they exploit things or if something can screw up server..

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I only suggest disabling things that can crash the server, IMO it is ridiculous to make exploitive things disabled unless it is meant to be a challenge (GregTech or Igauna Tweaks server, or even AS or MF2) since some people enjoy having the exploits around and it may drive some people away

Marsruben

Jul 29, 2019
I only suggest disabling things that can crash the server, IMO it is ridiculous to make exploitive things disabled unless it is meant to be a challenge (GregTech or Igauna Tweaks server, or even AS or MF2) since some people enjoy having the exploits around and it may drive some people away
You might know any things that can crash it? Im completly new with this modpack, I've only got experience with Ultimate. I will ban most of the items as time goes, but are there any stock mods that might cause crash?

And do I need a plugin to ban them?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
You might know any things that can crash it? Im completly new with this modpack, I've only got experience with Ultimate. I will ban most of the items as time goes, but are there any stock mods that might cause crash?

And do I need a plugin to ban them?
Extra Utilities might crash it when activating the division sigil, but when that happened to me it was because the server wasnt powerful enough

Marsruben

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for the replies! If anyone know of a thread with a list of thing that I should ban on my Monster server please let me know : )

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I say ban as little as possible, because when I get on a server, I get on there so I can play the equivalent of a SSP world, but with less FPS lag and with friends. Kinda loses some fun when I make an item and it turns out it's banned because the owner said so. I've left MANY servers because of this. Also, I highly suggest using a Linux OS, not windows. Linux is a lot more light and is free!

Marsruben

Jul 29, 2019
The problem would be items such as mining laser can easily greaf others. Which does decrease the fun for certain people : /. Always when I ban things I tend to ban the stuff that can cause griefing and/or things that causes lag.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The problem would be items such as mining laser can easily greaf others. Which does decrease the fun for certain people : /. Always when I ban things I tend to ban the stuff that can cause griefing and/or things that causes lag.
I know there's a forge mod named MyTown that, because it is forge, has forge hooks. So it can prevent mod griefing.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Hey! Im in need of help regarding server hosting. I've been hosting a server using Creeperhost, but I feel its way to expensive so I decided to buy a server for myself instead and host at home.
I was wondering if a server like this would be good to host a FTB Monster server with 50 people and machines running etc.

Processor: Intel I7-2600
Harddrive: 120gb SSD, 500gb HDD.
Memory: 8gb (Can be upgraded to 12-16gb)

Internet download 20gbits. internet upload 10gbits.
I got hung up on "host is too expensive, but buying my own server isn't" ... o_O

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Thats because I bought mostly used PC components. Which costed around 120 Euros at max. In my opinion its better in the long run : )
Holy smokes ... where the hell do you live?!

A used i7 alone here puts you back the best part of €200!

Marsruben

Jul 29, 2019
Holy smokes ... where the hell do you live?!

A used i7 alone here puts you back the best part of €200!

I live in Norway. That is around the normal price for used PC components, since the general public tend to think the components get slower over time.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I live in Norway. That is around the normal price for used PC components, since the general public tend to think the components get slower over time.
A common misconception. It's actually just the use of a windows OS. No, I'm not hating on windows, but windows does accumulate a lot of junk over time, even if you don't install anything. This coould be fixed in windows 8 though. This might also happen with other OSes, but to a lesser extent.