[FTB Monster]MFR:Charcoal and Ethanol Production

Blitzkninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all,

First time posting so please point out anything I should do differently later.

I am making a second power plant to power everyone on the server and I need some help figuring out the best ethanol+charcoal production method, more details concerning issues with MFR after the plant details. The power plant itself is done all I need is the fuel.

Power Plant Specifications:
Output:
- Peak Burst: 1,000,000 RF/t
- Peak Sustain: 92,160 RF/t
- Max Burst Time: 4 minutes 35 seconds​
- Buffer Capacity: 5,000,000,000 RF

Infrastructure:
- 52x 36HP Solid Fueled Steam Boiler(s)
- 12x 36HP Liquid Fueled Steam Boiler(s)
- 100x Resonant Energy Cells w/ 1 Tesseract per Cell
- 160x Steam->RF Power Converters (enabled via config for anti-lag purposes)
- 14x Squeezers + 4,800,000mB Buffer Tank
- 20x Fermenters + 50x Stills + 20,736,000mB Ethanol Fuel Buffer Tank​
The problem I'm having is that I need some way to properly fuel all of this. I am planning on using MFR Farms. The problem I am having is that it takes approximately 24 Sewers @ 6 cows/sewer to keep 2-3 [3x3] MFR Apple Oak Arboretum going without running out of fertilizer. This adds up to an insane amount of lag. What's worse is that according to some testing I was doing earlier, this is what I see:

Output per 3x3 Apple Oak Arboretum with Industrial Fertilizer:
Wood: 1.3417 units/sec
Saplings: 0.4444 units/sec
Apples: 0.3944 units/sec

Requirements per boiler: (calculator.towerofawesome.org, startup not included)
- Solid Fuel: 1.93125 charcoal/sec
- Liquid Fuel: 386.4mB/sec

This just isn't enough to sustain a 64 boiler power plant. I can change the boiler fuel types if necessary but I need to find the best way to power this thing without making the server have an aneurysm, having thousands of cows wouldn't bode well for the it.

Also note that this is going to be running Laser Drills and be converted to EU for IC2 needs so I do need the power.

P.S. I've been googling forever but I can't find any good designs or tangible numbers for a good MFR farm.

Sincerely,

Blitzninja.

Last edited:

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
I can help you with the fertilizer part ;) You can craft 16 fertilizer with 4 wheat, 2 bonemeal, 2 string, and 1 stick. Get a vanilla skeleton and spider spawner and hook them up to a Rotarycraft mob spawner controller (about 7 times faster than a tier5 SS). Crank the controllers up to max speed and you'll have plenty of string and bones. Setup a separate little tree farm for wood, which you can then turn into sticks. Make a mfr wheat farm and plop down a fertilizer with it. Now you have a consistent high output supply of all the materials needed to make fertilizer. The boiler consumption rate at 2 charcoal per second sounds insane, so either your calculator is wrong or boilers were severely nerfed :eek: Now as a whole, I would not suggest doing this. What I suggest is going with BigReactors' Steam turbines. They have a high upfront cost, but they are worth it in the long run. A max size turbine can output 24K/ RF/t at the standard x1 power multiplier(Monster is x1.33 I think), so just 4 of those guys and you can get 100k+ RF/t without all the complication your setup has. The 4 of them would consume about 8 buckets/t of steam altogether, so you can power them with a BigReactors' Reactor which produces a lot of steam (not sure about the specifics), 12 36HP Boilers, or through Reactorcraft. Overall, it would be much easier to go the BigReactors route, and it would cause considerably less lag.

Blitzkninja

Jul 29, 2019
I can help you with the fertilizer part ;) You can craft 16 fertilizer with 4 wheat, 2 bonemeal, 2 string, and 1 stick. Get a vanilla skeleton and spider spawner and hook them up to a Rotarycraft mob spawner controller (about 7 times faster than a tier5 SS). Crank the controllers up to max speed and you'll have plenty of string and bones. Setup a separate little tree farm for wood, which you can then turn into sticks. Make a mfr wheat farm and plop down a fertilizer with it. Now you have a consistent high output supply of all the materials needed to make fertilizer. The boiler consumption rate at 2 charcoal per second sounds insane, so either your calculator is wrong or boilers were severely nerfed :eek: Now as a whole, I would not suggest doing this. What I suggest is going with BigReactors' Steam turbines. They have a high upfront cost, but they are worth it in the long run. A max size turbine can output 24K/ RF/t at the standard x1 power multiplier(Monster is x1.33 I think), so just 4 of those guys and you can get 100k+ RF/t without all the complication your setup has. The 4 of them would consume about 8 buckets/t of steam altogether, so you can power them with a BigReactors' Reactor which produces a lot of steam (not sure about the specifics), 12 36HP Boilers, or through Reactorcraft. Overall, it would be much easier to go the BigReactors route, and it would cause considerably less lag.

I'm going to go the steam turbines route but I have an issue with the reactors; it seems to have a limited fuel supply and I don't want to end up strip mine my world to fine yellorium to power it.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to go the steam turbines route but I have an issue with the reactors; it seems to have a limited fuel supply and I don't want to end up strip mine my world to fine yellorium to power it.
Use magic crops or bees to get uranium since this can be used in big reactors.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

As @TheAwesomater said, bees or Magic Crops will help here. On the plus side though, Big Reactors (if designed properly) don't seem to use too much fuel, so even a few stacks will last a while.

Blitzkninja

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so I am getting into magical crops but the documentation is really sketchy. I'm wondering, does MFRs fertilizer/planter/harvester work with magical crops? Also, where do i find my first crop to start? Do I need to search?

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so I am getting into magical crops but the documentation is really sketchy. I'm wondering, does MFRs fertilizer/planter/harvester work with magical crops? Also, where do i find my first crop to start? Do I need to search?
The harvester and planter work, but the fertilizer doesn't(it would break the balance of the mod). You need to craft the lowest tier seeds, and then work your way up to the uranium seeds. You should also get a good amount of them, since they are quite slow. Lilypads of fertility are helpful too.

Blitzkninja

Jul 29, 2019
Can you give me a list of every working automatable growth acceleration that you know of.

EDIT: Nvm I got this. Will post back here on results

Last edited:

Blitzkninja

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so, I've been stocking up on ender lately because I use Ender IO so I got a full size turbine putting out 28kRF/t with enderium coils. I'm wondering though, do Lilypads of Fertility work on trees/forestry trees (apple oak)?

They nerfed MFR's workrate in monster 1.1.1 so my old power plan t is slowly running out of fuel and I don't want to expand my farmland if unnecessary.

EDIT: I was wondering, since I got sets of drills and I'm trying to generate emerald for something I'm doing, a by product is uranium. Does the MFR laser drill create uranium ore at a net energy profit or is it just mitigating cost at best?

Last edited:

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so, I've been stocking up on ender lately because I use Ender IO so I got a full size turbine putting out 28kRF/t with enderium coils. I'm wondering though, do Lilypads of Fertility work on trees/forestry trees (apple oak)?

They nerfed MFR's workrate in monster 1.1.1 so my old power plan t is slowly running out of fuel and I don't want to expand my farmland if unnecessary.

EDIT: I was wondering, since I got sets of drills and I'm trying to generate emerald for something I'm doing, a by product is uranium. Does the MFR laser drill create uranium ore at a net energy profit or is it just mitigating cost at best?
Kind of depends on the processing and usage of the uranium. If you work out the usage of the big reactor (it says in the GUI) and work out how many mob one uranium gives you then it shouldn't be too hard to work out.

I think that lilypads of fertility do work on forestry trees since they just increase tick rate, although other methods you could try might be blood magic, rotary craft or lamps of growth.