FTB launcher + Bumblebee

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanDark

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure, if anyone wants to play feed the beast, under linux on a notebook with NVidia Optimus (or Bumblebee on linux), but optirun does not work with the FTB launcher currently.

problem:

executing "optirun java -jar FTB_launcher.jar" fails when it tres to launch minecraft.jar

It's probably caused by the FTB launcher starting minecraft in a separate process and exiting right after, witch in turn termintes it's parent process "optirun".

workaround:

instead of using optirun to start the launcher, modifying the net.ftb.mclauncher.MinecraftLauncher.java: in the launchMinecraft function adding the "/usr/bin/optirun" string to the start as the `arguments' variable first element.
(72th line adding `arguments.add("/usr/bin/optirun")' before `arguments.add(path)', if JD-GUI is correct)

possible solution:

Not starting minecraft in a separate process, or waing on the process until it finishes execution.
Or just adding a command line parameter to control whether or not optirun used inside,

Pikalops

Jul 29, 2019
I experienced a similar thing with the Tekkit modpack. The only workaround I knew of for it was to use -classpath and point it to a .Main file in the launcher itself (Start it from terminal and wait until it starts the new process). But, as far as I have noted from the FTB launcher it doesn't display what it's doing when it starts a new process. If someone were to tell us the .Main file, we may be able to use it, though.

Sephiroth-Goku

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, I might have found a solution.
Install multi-mc, import your modpack into that and then open up a text editor (gedit/kate/leafpad/etc.) and write:

Code:
optirun <the location of your multimc executable>

Save that as an .sh file and then make it an executable.
If you're new to linux or using xubuntu, which for some reason randomly doesn't let you set files as executables from the right click menu, then open up a terminal and write:
Code:
chmod +x <location of file>
If you don't know how to find out the location of the file then just try dragging it and dropping it into the terminal and it should show up with the location.

Here's what mine looks like since I use primusrun and don't like vsync:

Code:
vblank_mode=0 primusrun /home/lauri/.multimc/MultiMC

If this doesn't work (for whatever reason) then I'm guessing you'll have to resort to manually installing the mods into a vanilla minecraft.jar and then launching that with the optirun/primusrun command.

EvanDark

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for taking up your time.

This is an old "bug-report" of mine. The current FTB launcher works just fine with optirun (at least on my PC), maybe because they read this post and rewritten the launcher, or just by pure coincidence they fixed this too. Thanks for your support anyway.

I am a programmer (gonna be, at least), so I was able to solve the problem by simply decompiling and modifying the launcher's code (with JD-GUI) and adding a line in. I left the post here, so the developers have some feedback, and in case of anyone else encounters this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.