FTB Infinity Skyblock (No not expert mode)

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Oh, the reason I'm not using projectE is I have like 5 stacks of iron right now. I have a couple of diamonds from thaumcraft reward bags. I could easily make a philosopher's stone, get some obsidian from the smeltery, and make a transmutation tablet and turn all my iron into gold, copper, tin, what have you. But that doesn't accurately reflect the gameplay. Because until I get an orechid or a laser drill or whatever, all I have is oreberries. If I was to use projectE, I'd have at least a stack of gold to work with. But the reality is I have tons of iron but only a small amount of everything else.

Oh, and I'm making oreberries craftable into ingots instead of having to smelt them. Because it's a pain in the butt to smelt nuggets.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Oh, I'm also installing the storage silo mod. It provides an excellent storage for logistics pipes and I just prefer to use logistics pipes over AE. It's just more fun in my opinion.

Craig bruyson

Jul 29, 2019
great progress. I started my own world following your instructions. You were lucky with the witch circle spawner, waiting for withchs in the mob farm is painful, and a redstone drop not guarantee. Upside of this it gives me time to jump into Agricraft to breed me some redstone seeds. i like the way i have had to rethink how i am going to proceed due to the constraints of the world. thanks for the tip of the other smeltery, had realised that clay was going to be a issue, and was going to looking a the clayconia. (but coal block was going to be a problem)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you prefer logistic pipes to AE, you may wish to consider Storage Drawers. The Interface with a Mk II Chassis with Provider/Supplier installed will be able to pull from and put into the bank of storage drawers without needing to hook up each drawer separately. Of course, drawers are basically barrels, so it's a very large structure, but hey... isn't skyblock about building improbably large objects?

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
If you prefer logistic pipes to AE, you may wish to consider Storage Drawers. The Interface with a Mk II Chassis with Provider/Supplier installed will be able to pull from and put into the bank of storage drawers without needing to hook up each drawer separately. Of course, drawers are basically barrels, so it's a very large structure, but hey... isn't skyblock about building improbably large objects?
The thing is, AE storage can get expensive. It's also late-game and I have no way to get the presses. You have to make a recipe for those in a skyblock anyways, but I usually just spawn them in. I've never liked the meteor mechanic. You're usually stuck looking for that one press that you can't find, and it's annoying. I wish they would just have a special material that you need to make the presses instead of just having the presses there.

Anyways, AE is out until I decide on a press recipe. That leaves logistics pipes, which relies on inventories. The options normally would be iron chests, specifically obsidian, but that's expensive and cumbersome. There's barrels, but that's even more cumbersome. Drawers are a bit better, and I'd probably use them, but just for the things that you need to store a ton of. Ingots, cobblestone, mob drops. Drawers are great for that sort of thing and the emerald upgrade shouldn't be too hard with my horde of villagers. The issue with using them for general storage is the same with the ME drives. Each drawer slot only holds one type of item at a time. Where with an AE drive you have like 630 slots for item types in a single block, with storage drawers you would need at least 158 drawers to have equivalent storage. The silo gives 999 stacks of items. (not types, stacks.) that's a bit powerful, but I'm changing the recipe to require an obsidian chest and 8 ender chests. Lore-wise, the ender chests are integrated into the obsidian chest, giving it internal extradimensional pockets effectively making it bigger on the inside. Much bigger.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
great progress. I started my own world following your instructions. You were lucky with the witch circle spawner, waiting for withchs in the mob farm is painful, and a redstone drop not guarantee. Upside of this it gives me time to jump into Agricraft to breed me some redstone seeds. i like the way i have had to rethink how i am going to proceed due to the constraints of the world. thanks for the tip of the other smeltery, had realised that clay was going to be a issue, and was going to looking a the clayconia. (but coal block was going to be a problem)
Keep in mind that redstone seeds require an actual redstone ore to grow on. The coal isn't too bad. Once you get to the iron stage, you can make some iron/manasteel armor and go hunt some wither skeletons for coal. You could also use nether coal if you want. I'm just not using it to demonstrate that progression is possible even without nether ores.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Okay, there's an issue. The saucer doesn't appear to be working. So instead, I'm going to build a proper village for the villagers to live in. I'll probably use a condo-style infinite spawning design.

I've also set up a fully upgraded igneous extruder feeding into an ender chest in the last millenium in creative mode. This is meant to replace my ofanix as crafting cobblestone from it causes the game to freeze up a bit and is generally annoying.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I got the condo set up, and they're already breeding again. Only did two floors at the moment, but I plan to extend it to four floors eventually:
2016-02-29_20.24.18.png

I'd do a proper recap, but there's not much to recap until I get some tin oreberries. I'll continue to prune the flock and groom the one tinkers villager I have and try to find some new oreberries. I have copper and iron, but the iron is pretty useless at the moment as I already have 40 blocks of iron from golems.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
This just makes me wish to hell the official pack would release already. :\
The official pack will be pretty much nothing like this. :p It'll be based on ex nihilo, so you don't really have to finagle your way into resource generation because the generation is there from the get-go. With this version, you have to exploit things. Like I got glue from horses for rubber before I got the sapling trade. I'm turning my gold coins into gold nuggets and back using barrels, and soon I'm going to be getting lead and silver from thaumcraft alchemy. I mean I have the iron for it after all. I just need a sample of the material to get started, which I could get from the orechid, but I'm probably just going to use nether ores for that purpose if I can't find a slightly easier approach. The point is, you have to make a massive village from gold you scavenged from the nether portal you built out of redstone gathered from witches in a mob farm in order to get copper and tin. With ex nihilo, you just hammer gravel and sift it. Bam tin. In my opinion, this is a lot more fun.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The official pack will be pretty much nothing like this. :p It'll be based on ex nihilo, so you don't really have to finagle your way into resource generation because the generation is there from the get-go. With this version, you have to exploit things. Like I got glue from horses for rubber before I got the sapling trade. I'm turning my gold coins into gold nuggets and back using barrels, and soon I'm going to be getting lead and silver from thaumcraft alchemy. I mean I have the iron for it after all. I just need a sample of the material to get started, which I could get from the orechid, but I'm probably just going to use nether ores for that purpose if I can't find a slightly easier approach. The point is, you have to make a massive village from gold you scavenged from the nether portal you built out of redstone gathered from witches in a mob farm in order to get copper and tin. With ex nihilo, you just hammer gravel and sift it. Bam tin. In my opinion, this is a lot more fun.
Yeah I get that, which is why I didn't run and emulate your pack. But at the end of the day its still infinity evolved in a skyblock which has me pretty jazzed.

I've been following the krylyk and direwolf20 youtubes for both.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Yeah I get that, which is why I didn't run and emulate your pack. But at the end of the day its still infinity evolved in a skyblock which has me pretty jazzed.

I've been following the krylyk and direwolf20 youtubes for both.
I'm getting caught up on kryllyk's expert mode series before starting on the skyblock. I quite like him as a youtuber, even though his saying "it's one of those things" without it actually being relevant does get kinda annoying. :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm getting caught up on kryllyk's expert mode series before starting on the skyblock. I quite like him as a youtuber, even though his saying "it's one of those things" without it actually being relevant does get kinda annoying. :p
He's got a few of those "filler" catchphrases that I try to ignore. "Yeah, that's a thing" is another.

ariosos

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for linking that page, never knew that existed.

However, the issue is, the person you quoted was asking about my series, not the evolved skyblock.

Also, the actual infinity evolved skyblock is going to be different from the original version. Or so I've heard. But yeah, without the configs, you won't be able to do the same game. It'll be close enough using the configs from infinity though and just going expert.

Yeah, realized that after posting. (late-night posting...)

T

Tereus

Vein Mine Mod
And because of 3 words i wrote at the beginning most of readers already know what i want to ask. :p
How hard would it be to include Vein Miner in this mod pack?
Would you include it?

As you know early stages of Sky Block maps are basically bound by heavy grinding.
Crook some leaves... Generate Cobblestone... Smash Cobblestone to Gravel-->Sand-->Dust...
All this would be faster with Vein Mine mod.
Or if some perfectionist wants to put 2 stacks of fence one block to the left or destroy some structure and make it elsewhere. For this too You can demolish big chunks of same type blocks with Vein Mine.

For those who might not know what I'm talking about you can check 'Clouds of Darkness' on FTB Launcher. Code should be 'Darkness'. (without ' ')

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Vein Mine Mod
And because of 3 words i wrote at the beginning most of readers already know what i want to ask. :p
How hard would it be to include Vein Miner in this mod pack?
Would you include it?

As you know early stages of Sky Block maps are basically bound by heavy grinding.
Crook some leaves... Generate Cobblestone... Smash Cobblestone to Gravel-->Sand-->Dust...
All this would be faster with Vein Mine mod.
Or if some perfectionist wants to put 2 stacks of fence one block to the left or destroy some structure and make it elsewhere. For this too You can demolish big chunks of same type blocks with Vein Mine.

For those who might not know what I'm talking about you can check 'Clouds of Darkness' on FTB Launcher. Code should be 'Darkness'. (without ' ')
Yes, veinminer takes a lot of grind out of skyblock. I'm not using it, but you absolutely can! I have no problems with it. Especially cobblegen, you can make a cascading lava structure to really get a good lava spread and underneath have a pool of water. The lava spreads down onto the water, creating stone, which you can then veinmine to your hearts content. It doesn't take much effort to generate cobble with that system, just a bit of time and a watering can.

But yet again I say that this is not infinity expert mode skyblock. This is normal infinity, just using a void world map. This does not and will not include ex nihilo.

Reactions: Tereus

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I got the condo set up, and they're already breeding again. Only did two floors at the moment, but I plan to extend it to four floors eventually:
View attachment 26056
I'd do a proper recap, but there's not much to recap until I get some tin oreberries. I'll continue to prune the flock and groom the one tinkers villager I have and try to find some new oreberries. I have copper and iron, but the iron is pretty useless at the moment as I already have 40 blocks of iron from golems.

What is your current method of pruning your villagers? Are you dumping the unworthy into your smeltery? If so, what kind of stockpile of Emeralds have you accumulated? Any other trades to mention that have moved you forward at all, or at least opened up new paths later?

This makes me want to do something along these lines. God knows my potato PC begs for skyblock. Keep it coming.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
What is your current method of pruning your villagers? Are you dumping the unworthy into your smeltery? If so, what kind of stockpile of Emeralds have you accumulated? Any other trades to mention that have moved you forward at all, or at least opened up new paths later?

This makes me want to do something along these lines. God knows my potato PC begs for skyblock. Keep it coming.
I've been doing other things. Like I started playing expert mode skytable (basically EE-based skyblick) and it's really fun. That's not a custom map or anything I just built a little platform with a transmutation table and put in a bunch of knowledge.

Now to actually answer your question, yeah I just dump the unworthy into the smeltery. They don't give much in the way of emeralds. It's a lot more effective to just set up a bunch of farms and sell things for emeralds if you don't have a spawner for villagers. I've gotten rubber saplings, copper and tin oreberries, and I have gold and aluminum berry trades, I just need alternate tree types to actually get them. For that, I need to either get into witchery or into botania. However, the witchery way requires clay jars which requires the clayconnia anyways so I'm kinda forced into botania. The alchemy catalyst is pretty easy to craft so that isn't a problem, and I can get plenty of mana from narslimmuses.

But right now I have a wrist thing so I'm not playing any games at all right now so yeah.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Okay, getting a bit more done now. I've gathered a bunch of flowers courtesy of the skeletons from my mob grinder. I have the flowers set aside to make the pure daisies, endoflames, and daynlooms I want to start out with. I don't need much, just enough to get a mana pearl and transmute some saplings. Then I can get aluminum and gold oreberries.

Oh, and agricraft resource crops were enabled by default in infinity. Which is neat. Still I'm going to assume nether ores aren't a thing for demonstrative purposes. Just to show that growth is very possible without the nether ores.