FTB Infinity Expert mode is everything I could've asked for out of FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think the draconic chest itself is more or less gated behind the ic2 nukes. It requires a MOX pellet. Can't speak for the rest of the mod, but the tutorials I've read/watched suggest I want to build the chest before anything else.

Another thing that I noticed is gated uber-late-game is the RFTools dimensions. If memory serves it requires Draconic components itself. I wonder if you have the tech/resources required to exploit that mod? RFTools dimensions may have a dimlet for draconic ore (I doubt it), but even if it doesn't, I found it was easy to make certain types of dimensions that facilitated the locations of ores. For instance generating the terrain all as "streams". You can just fly around and look for the distinctive blinking draconic ore. (I used to do this to easily mine yellorium)

So it appears that Draconic does indeed pull ALL of the "lower tier" mods into its requirements then. I didn't make a Drac Chest so didn't see there were items that require Plutonium/MOX or even an RTG Pellet. But that pretty much covers all the bases then.

I think I do have the resources to use RFTools... including a power supply to run it... however, our server operator doesn't allow us to make new dimensions, so basically the entire mod is off-limits to us. :) I understand why he does that, however, I disagree in this specific modpack for two reasons:
1. It is literally impossible for anyone on the server to "fiddle" with the mod and make multiple dimensions (taking up hard drive space and adding lag). Since the mod is basically gated behind Draconic, as you point out, only someone like myself with almost 500 hours on the server is gonna have the infrastructure to be able to do anything with the mod. And players with 500 hours invested are typically NOT your "hooligans" who are out to ruin other people's fun. They're typically the best players on the server (if I may be so humble LOL).
2. To my way of thinking, the end goal of this modpack is not to make Creative Items... the end goal **IS** to get to RF Tools, make your own unique dimension based on your own requirement ('Draconic Ore Dimlet' as you pointed out), and have everything you ever needed in one place (UUmatter oceans LOL).

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think I do have the resources to use RFTools... including a power supply to run it... however, our server operator doesn't allow us to make new dimensions, so basically that entire mod is off-limits to us. :) I understand why he does that, however, I disagree in this specific modpack for two reasons:
1. It is literally impossible for anyone on the server to "fiddle" with the mod and make multiple dimensions (taking up hard drive space and adding lag). Since the mod is basically gated behind Draconic, as you point out, only someone like myself with almost 500 hours on the server is gonna have the infrastructure to be able to do anything with the mod. And players with 500 hours invested are typically NOT your "hooligans" who are out to ruin other people's fun. They're typically the best players on the server (if I may be so humble LOL).
2. To my way of thinking, the end goal of this modpack is not to make Creative Items... the end goal **IS** to get to RF Tools, make your own unique dimension based on your own requirement ('Draconic Ore Dimlet' as you pointed out), and have everything you ever needed in one place (UUmatter oceans LOL).
Yeah that's a bit of a shame. Big section of the pack is kinda cut off between RFTools and Mystcraft really.

Power shouldn't be an issue at your point (unless you're seriously considering oceans of any uber liquid X).

I'm kinda sad its so late game. Building dimensions for resource acquisition was really fun, but by the time we get there we won't need most resources anymore.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that's a bit of a shame. Big section of the pack is kinda cut off between RFTools and Mystcraft really.

Power shouldn't be an issue at your point (unless you're seriously considering oceans of any uber liquid X).

I'm kinda sad its so late game. Building dimensions for resource acquisition was really fun, but by the time we get there we won't need most resources anymore.

As usual Pyure, you hit the nail on the head. Infinity Evolved Expert is a great modpack - make no mistake in my words, it is one of the best modpacks on FTB... but it is nowhere close to being perfect. I don't think it is possible in modded minecraft to have a "perfect" modpack. You've pointed out the biggest reason the pack isn't "perfect" - by the time you achieve some of the "end game rewards", you really don't need them anymore!

But it isn't the fault of modpacks or modpack designers. They're doing the best they can, they are amazing!! I don't have an answer for this dilemma, and I don't think there really is an answer to it. Either you end up being able to make "end game" things too early, rendering much of the modpack's items obsolete very quickly... or else you're dis-allowed to make "end game" things until end-game itself (imagine that!), and at that point you really don't need the help that those end-game items provide you. It's a dilemma that I don't think has been solved yet, and I'm not sure it ever can be resolved to anyone's satisfaction.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
As usual Pyure, you hit the nail on the head. Infinity Evolved Expert is a great modpack - make no mistake in my words, it is one of the best modpacks on FTB... but it is nowhere close to being perfect. I don't think it is possible in modded minecraft to have a "perfect" modpack. You've pointed out the biggest reason the pack isn't "perfect" - by the time you achieve some of the "end game rewards", you really don't need them anymore!

But it isn't the fault of modpacks or modpack designers. They're doing the best they can, they are amazing!! I don't have an answer for this dilemma, and I don't think there really is an answer to it. Either you end up being able to make "end game" things too early, rendering much of the modpack's items obsolete very quickly... or else you're dis-allowed to make "end game" things until end-game itself (imagine that!), and at that point you really don't need the help that those end-game items provide you. It's a dilemma that I don't think has been solved yet, and I'm not sure it ever can be resolved to anyone's satisfaction.
Yeah, its probably a person-by-person fix. Personally I find dimension-mining to be less effective than simple quarry-strip-mining (for most resources), so I'm probably going to tweak the scripts on my side to alleviate the gating a bit.

I'll use an ender quarry as a baseline and probably gate RFTools dimensions just a tiny bit earlier than that.

This is obviously notwithstanding that Dimension-Hopping in theory (and by name) SHOULD be the latest-game tech possible. But gameplay takes precedence over theme.