FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't plan on using culinary generators for the simple fact that i Hate when people use or do things a certain way just because every youtuber is doing it that way. Unless it is one of the best ways to do it and there are way better power generations in the Pack.
+1. Ditto perpetual motion waterwheels in my case.

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
I don't plan on using culinary generators for the simple fact that i Hate when people use or do things a certain way just because every youtuber is doing it that way. Unless it is one of the best ways to do it and there are way better power generations in the Pack.

Gonna assume that last comment was in reference to me, even if it didn't quote me directly. Yeah I'm using culinary generators and beef wellington, same as DW, but I'm not just blindly parrotting him, I like to mix things up between packs, and I've used a lot of different power gen setups, but never used culinary gens despite having seen them used by others many times, so it was less "I'm going to copy that youtuber" and more "Never used those before, let's see what the fuss is about". As for Beef Wellington, in one of the vids DW20 specifically mentioned that one of the pack authors had recommended it to him as the most efficent recipe, so yeah, I did copy that, because I'm a min/maxer at heart. But I'd have done the same if I'd read that information somwwhere else. I did make sure to set up my farming and autocrafting setup differently to his, so it wasn't a total copy :)

Reactions: Pyure

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019

Not to be contradictory, but I would guess the reason all the YouTubers are doing it, is that there is not a better generation at that stage of the game. Just like everyone starts with Water Wheels. If there were other DECENT options, I would expect many of the Tubers to use them just to stand out... I have seen two different "First" power sources, Survivalist Generators and Hobbyist steam, then they switch to Water Wheel, then culinary... from there it branches.

However, I would love to hear your thoughts on a better alternative at that stage of the game. I personally am not looking forward to the farming grind, so a viable alternative would be welcome.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not to be contradictory, but I would guess the reason all the YouTubers are doing it, is that there is not a better generation at that stage of the game. Just like everyone starts with Water Wheels. If there were other DECENT options, I would expect many of the Tubers to use them just to stand out... I have seen two different "First" power sources, Survivalist Generators and Hobbyist steam, then they switch to Water Wheel, then culinary... from there it branches.

However, I would love to hear your thoughts on a better alternative at that stage of the game. I personally am not looking forward to the farming grind, so a viable alternative would be welcome.
Does the skyblock still have IC2 windmills? Those things are absolutely ridiculous. I used them in the non-skyblock.

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
Solar might work, either the EnderIO photovoltaic cell, or the ProjectRed Solar Panel look possible at that stage. I was going to suggest Endergen, as it would also be possible to tech up to MFR grinder/enderman spawner at that point, but it looks like the Ender Generator is disabled, along with most of the Extra Utilities generators - I know why they disabled the Lava Gen, as that thing is too OP for skyblock, and the redstone generator too, when you have ex-nihilo for redstone gathering, but I was surprised to see Ender, Potion and Solar gens disabled.

edit: never mind on the ProjectRed solar, I investigated further and discovered they are only used to power machines within that mod, you couldn't turn it into, say RF or EU. The EnderIO route looks viable however.

Last edited:

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
Does the skyblock still have IC2 windmills? Those things are absolutely ridiculous. I used them in the non-skyblock.
This one has the Immersive Engineering Windmills... Solar at low levels is PROHIBITIVELY expensive for low RF generation

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This one has the Immersive Engineering Windmills... Solar at low levels is PROHIBITIVELY expensive for low RF generation
I dont really know much about the immersive ones other than that they're way easier to assemble (you dont need to build a gigantic tower of doom to reach optimal Y levels and run wiring).
How much power do they generate? can you build one at the same stage that you can build culinaries?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014

Let's see other then sticking with steam power, solar, wind, or using a grinder for mob Essences and blaze power for the Reactant Dynamo, is all that I can think of off the top of my head. And they are cheaper for the most part then going for the QED needed for upgrading the Cal Gens

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
I dont really know much about the immersive ones other than that they're way easier to assemble (you dont need to build a gigantic tower of doom to reach optimal Y levels and run wiring).
How much power do they generate? can you build one at the same stage that you can build culinaries?
Actually they are entirely Y level dependent:

The amount of energy produced depends on the height of the Windmill and if it is raining or not.
Y Level RF Produced RF Produced in rain
62 3 RF/t 4 RF/t
100 11 RF/t 14 RF/t
200 16 RF/t 22 RF/t
255 22 RF/t 29 RF/t
So yes, you need the tower of doom... and an extensive MV/LV power run to get it down (not including loss)

So no real choice here either

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, all the QED upgrade does is use less space and a few less pipes. A x8 culunary gen produces the same as 8 x1 generators - I ran 8 generators for ages until I needed to make a QED for another purpose (a retrieval node), at which point I went "I might as well combine those culinary gens to make the pipes a bit simpler'

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Also Note: If your Hell Bent on farming stuff I would suggest going with the Enervation Dynamo. You can breed the redstone Agr seeds and farm redstone for 80 rf/tick way cheaper. (not upgraded) :)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Eh, all the QED upgrade does is use less space and a few less pipes. A x8 culunary gen produces the same as 8 x1 generators - I ran 8 generators for ages until I needed to make a QED for another purpose (a retrieval node), at which point I went "I might as well combine those culinary gens to make the pipes a bit simpler'
You still have to build the QED, the Generators for it, and plus like 64 Cal Gens...rofl

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
Let's see other then sticking with steam power, solar, wind, or using a grinder for mob Essences and blaze power for the Reactant Dynamo, is all that I can think of off the top of my head. And they are cheaper for the most part then going for the QED needed for upgrading the Cal Gens

Keeping in mind the QED is a required step, and yes that upgrade is fairly significant, the value is that the Culinary Gens are dirt cheap to produce once the farming is done. With minimal infrastructure for sustaining it.

I am so over Steam, Solar and wind as mentioned before not even remotely cost effective in early game. Reactant Dynamo looks interesting, since it can run on Creosote and blaze powder. Turning table looks to be a pain tho as a bottleneck.

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
You still have to build the QED, the Generators for it, and plus like 64 Cal Gens...rofl

Er, what? No-one has to do any of those things. It's completely viable to tech into Extra Utilities as your primary power generation to the point where you would expand to, say, big reactors, and never ever use a QED, or a x8 generator, let alone a x64 one.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Actually they are entirely Y level dependent:

The amount of energy produced depends on the height of the Windmill and if it is raining or not.
Y Level RF Produced RF Produced in rain
62 3 RF/t 4 RF/t
100 11 RF/t 14 RF/t
200 16 RF/t 22 RF/t
255 22 RF/t 29 RF/t
So yes, you need the tower of doom... and an extensive MV/LV power run to get it down (not including loss)

So no real choice here either
Thanks. I'll point out here that the point of the response was identifying alternatives to Youtube-popular choices. The omnipresent ones we see on youtube are culinaries and waterwheels and we've successfully identified an alternative: windmills.

Also, fwiw, the IC2 version outputs considerably more power than that. If memory serves, an IC2 windmill can output something like 400 rf/t. That said, I have no idea if its available in the skyblock, and if it is, it has a component which must be replaced periodically (although to be fair, I deprecated my windmill with nuclear in Infinity Expert long before its first degradable component EVER degraded)

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
Also Note: If your Hell Bent on farming stuff I would suggest going with the Enervation Dynamo. You can breed the redstone Agr seeds and farm redstone for 80 rf/tick way cheaper. (not upgraded) :)
Not looking forward to farming in the slightest, but I think it's unavoidable, NEED the redstodendron seed anyhow.... Reactant gives 80/t as well, just tested.
Er, what? No-one has to do any of those things. It's completely viable to tech into Extra Utilities as your primary power generation to the point where you would expand to, say, big reactors, and never ever use a QED, or a x8 generator, let alone a x64 one.
As long as you never plan to use an ender Quarry, Magnum Torches, Spikes, or retrieval nodes, correct, you do not need a QED.

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. I'll point out here that the point of the response was identifying alternatives to Youtube-popular choices. The omnipresent ones we see on youtube are culinaries and waterwheels and we've successfully identified an alternative: windmills.

Also, fwiw, the IC2 version outputs considerably more power than that. If memory serves, an IC2 windmill can output something like 400 rf/t. That said, I have no idea if its available in the skyblock, and if it is, it has a component which must be replaced periodically (although to be fair, I deprecated my windmill with nuclear in Infinity Expert long before its first degradable component EVER degraded)
Yep, but IC2 windmill is not in the pack, only choice is the Immersive one.

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
Not looking forward to farming in the slightest, but I think it's unavoidable, NEED the redstodendron seed anyhow.... Reactant gives 80/t as well, just tested.

A large-scale dust sieving operation might work. I'm currently sitting on nearly 300 blocks of redstone from dust into 2 auto sieves. Probably not fast enough if you're using it for power, but it would scale up, assuming the power required to generate the redstone is less than the power gained from it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In the non-skyblock version, Reactant required something nuclear I believe, I forget what. Is anyone able to check the skyblock recipe?

Reactant dynamo is excellent for all reasons stated above and was my go-to in nonskyblock.