Problem FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock IC2 vs Immersive enginnering blast furnace issue

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

usafphoenix

Jul 29, 2019
So the HQM quest "better-Than-Iron-Man" says that IC2's blast furnace, once set up is faster than Immersive engineering's blast furnace (testing against the crude one without any pre-heaters), but i've not found this to be the case. I've got a heat generator with 10 coils, outputting 100HU into the IC2 blast furnace (and it's electric buffer icon is full, so it is outputting max hU), with a dedicated compressor for cycling air canisters and using extra-util transfer system for pulling/inserting items into a locked 4x4 storage drawer with spots for the refined iron, slag, and empty air canister. filtered transfer node out for pulling those empty air canisters and throwing them back into the compressor, which then puts them back into the blast furnace...
Anyways, in testing, with 10 coils, my immersive engineering crude furnace still performs almost 3 times faster than the IC2 one. what's the deal?

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
So the HQM quest "better-Than-Iron-Man" says that IC2's blast furnace, once set up is faster than Immersive engineering's blast furnace (testing against the crude one without any pre-heaters), but i've not found this to be the case. I've got a heat generator with 10 coils, outputting 100HU into the IC2 blast furnace (and it's electric buffer icon is full, so it is outputting max hU), with a dedicated compressor for cycling air canisters and using extra-util transfer system for pulling/inserting items into a locked 4x4 storage drawer with spots for the refined iron, slag, and empty air canister. filtered transfer node out for pulling those empty air canisters and throwing them back into the compressor, which then puts them back into the blast furnace...
Anyways, in testing, with 10 coils, my immersive engineering crude furnace still performs almost 3 times faster than the IC2 one. what's the deal?
Overclockers? Idk, but I would just use the Crude Furnace and break the IC2 stuff for free casings.

usafphoenix

Jul 29, 2019
also thought that may have been it, but the blast furnace doesn't accept overclockers, only the compressor does (which, is useless as the compressor is way faster at making compressed air than the blast furnace is at using it.
in testing, the IC2 blast furnace takes 300 seconds (5 minutes) whereas the immersive enginnering one only takes 60 seconds). so.....as far as i can tell, the HQM quest info is just WRONG.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Does the quest book spacifically say the liquid heat exchanger for the blast furnace or does it just say the blast furnace? The electric heat exchanger may be faster... Unsure but maybe

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Fun fact, the ic2 blast furnace cannot be sped up aside from making more, and once running, will only use 1 heat unit per operation. You are wasting a fairly large amount of power by using 10 coils. You only need 1. Also, the immersive engineering furnace is far superior, even more so when the improved one can be made. Honestly, I would not recommend following the quest book, as the pack was designed to be flexible in terms of playstyle. Finding new ways of doing things was one of the main attractions of the pack, and having a quest book discourages this.

Last edited:

usafphoenix

Jul 29, 2019
that's what i thought.....
i spend about half my time finding stuff wrong in mods or packs in general, and seeing if i can find a solution...in this case the HQM info is just plain incorrect.
thanks for the input :)

usafphoenix

Jul 29, 2019
although the fact that it does not require charcoal is "kinda" nice, eventually, it's a meaningless endeavor, because a tree farm specific for getting charcoal is very simple to set up, and the improved blast furnace from IE is like 10x better, but since i had NEVER used IC2's blast furnace before, i thought i must have been doing something wrong, but... apparently it just sucks.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
IMHO IC2 sucks in general. Back in the old days before hammers and cutters it was a little stomach able but now it's just a giant PITA. I avoid it if I can at all costs in most packs. Currently playing Age of Engineering and the IC2 stuff is a constant thorn in my side. Bloody 420 stable reactors have blown on me multiple times because of lag spikes. Silly mechanic.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
IMHO IC2 sucks in general. Back in the old days before hammers and cutters it was a little stomach able but now it's just a giant PITA. I avoid it if I can at all costs in most packs. Currently playing Age of Engineering and the IC2 stuff is a constant thorn in my side. Bloody 420 stable reactors have blown on me multiple times because of lag spikes. Silly mechanic.
The problem I have with IC2, is it's a lot of waiting, waiting for reactors, wait for the slow steel, etc. And there's no way to really speed up those processes.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Does the quest book spacifically say the liquid heat exchanger for the blast furnace or does it just say the blast furnace? The electric heat exchanger may be faster... Unsure but maybe

The first problem with this is the (unenhanced) Blast Furnace consumes 10HU/s or less when operating, as a LHE with a single coil, and a Solid Heat Generator are both capable of operating one.

If a Blast Furnace can be overclocked, then potential sources of Heat are:

Liquid Heat Exchanger: 10HU/s per conductor, to a max of 100HU/s
Electric Heater: 10HU/s per coil, to a max of 100HU/s.
RadioIsotope Heat Generator: 2^(RTG Fuel Pellets-1) HU/s to a max of 32 HU/s
Fluid Heat Generator: 16 * fuel quality HU/s to a max of 64HU/s
Solid Heat Generator: 10 HU/s