FTB Infinity Disk Usage while browsing

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
FTB Infinity Disk Usage while browsing
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
Infinity
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
This has been a relatively recent issue. I used to be able to play Infinity and browse on mozilla firefox without any issues. In the past month or so, however, whenever I open a web browser while playing infinity, it seems my disk usage shoots up to max - when I open my task bar I see system.exe transferring up to 30mb/sec. After extensive googling, it seems I am alone with this issue.

Again, this only occurs when I open up a web browser it seems. I used to not have any issue with this - I consider a web browser essential with ftb infinity for recipes and how tos :(. The only seemingly relevant thing someone suggested was the aroma backup config file that creates back ups of your server. I am running my server on a separate computer though, so I am fairly confident this has nothing to do with my problem?

I am unsure if the log will help in this case. If it will please let me know and I'll paste it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Are you sure you are not running out of RAM and your computer is forced to use the pagefile?
Open the "Tank Manager", click the "Performance" tab and click the "Resource Monitor" button.

Under the Disk tab you can see exactly what is using your disks. Easiest way is probably to sort it by total. If you see pagefile mentioned up top a lot then you have a issue with lack of RAM.

Under the Memory tab you should have some Free memory at all times. Standby memory still counts as in use. If you run out of Free memory your PC is forced to start using your Harddrive as RAM. This is what is called the pagefile.

If all this is true then you need to start looking for ways to "lighten the load". Consider a lower quality texture pack, make sure you do not have more RAM allocated in the launcher than you need, have as few background elements running as possible. Or consider upgrading to more RAM.

Reactions: lenscas

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
I actually just upgraded to 16gb RAM in the past week. The problem started happening shortly before I upgraded. I'm confident it's not a memory issue. I am playing minecraft right now and as I type this (slowly as I am lagging), the resource monitor shows system.exe (NT Kernal and system) using up about 19% of my CPU and 112 threads. It's only using about 50% of my physical memory. As far as disk usage, it's writing about 800,000 to 900,000 b/sec. I have absolutely no idea what is causing this :(

To clarify a few things, I am running optifine. I am dedicating about 12gigs of memory to ftb via the launcher. My CPU is i5 Core @ 3.3ghz (sandy bridge version). I used to not have this issue at all. I literally have no idea what caused this. I am not experiencing this with any other game. I am wondering if it has something to do with Java and my computer. I literally cannot imagine what my computer thinks it is writing while I am browsing?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have absolutely no idea what is causing this :( -----> I am dedicating about 12gigs of memory to ftb via the launcher.
/facepalm
Reduce that to 3.5-4GB MAX! and you will probably be fine.

The launcher allocates the set memory to the game, meaning it reserves it ALL to the game and nothing else! But JAVA always need more than you allocate, sometimes up to 50% more. And your OS needs RAM too. By allocating all that much (completely unnecessary) RAM you are crippling your system.

Reactions: Padfoote

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. And hrm. I was allocating that much originally under the assumption that bdcraft textures draw that much memory allocation - will do that right now and report back!

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, with the setting now at 4, I am still noticing the problem. I did notice that when I launched MC with web browsers still up, I wasn't noticing any issues. However, as soon as I closed my web browser (while still in game), and then opened a new window, the lag INSTANTLY started and system.exe is now drawing on a ton of CPU power.

I also found this: http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/34fj3a/ntoskrnlexe_causing_high_background_cpu/

I know that's for a different game, but that's the closest I could find to someone having my same problem. The problem seems to be lying with NTkernal and, like you originally said, perhaps pagefiling? I looked at the settings for pagefiling. I tried switching it off, let windows decide, and at default it's running at 5376.It seems to be an issue when MC becomes minimized and I am browsing - sometimes when I switch back to MC, the lag goes away. Other times MC will continue lagging.

I am at a loss

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
It seems extremely inconsistent when it happens, but the culprit for sure is the ntoskrnl.exe. I read that it can become corrupted in some cases. This is the process that will draw ridiculous amount of resources at seemingly random times. As I type now, I am not experiencing any lag. Earlier when I made that post I was. -.-

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
I am using Windows 8 - I can confirm I am still experiencing the same problem. After increasing to a larger custom size, I played minecraft - everything ran smooth. I then opened up a web browser with MC running in the background and browsed for a bit. At some point the lag started kicking in. I opened up the task manager to see System.exe running at about 16% cpu - at first it was using a lot of disk resources, but then disk went to 0% but system.exe continued using roughly 16% of my CPU with continued lag.

I clicked out of the browser and the taskbar. Only thing open was MC at this point. Lag kept being unbearable - slideshow in minecraft. I clicked out of minecraft and suddenly lag went away. I have tried fresh FTB installs at least a couple of times without success. Still clueless as to what is causing this. I'm debating just reformatting my PC and starting completely over. I'm suspecting some sort of file corruption -.-

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
So I reformatted. Everything wiped. reinstalled.

Still having the same issue. I did what you suggested lenscas. I am at a total loss as to what is causing this. This does not happen to any of my other games - only when I am running the Java program. Which leads me to believe there's an issue with Java somehow.

Again, I can be playing FTB Infinity having no lag and no hiccups forever. As soon as I open up a web browser and do things for a while, suddenly NT Kernal kicks in and draws a ton of my CPU power/disk writing power. Some times i can browse for a little while without problems, but then I'll click a link and it starts. Often when I close out of firefox, the problem goes away and I can continue playing mc. If I open a web browser again, the problem kicks back in.

Some times when I close out of the web browser and nothing is on except MC, the lag persists. But here again, it's only when I initially am performing things other than playing MC - MC gets put in the background, that the lag starts. Will try running a different version of Java.

Streen

Jul 29, 2019
As an update to this issue - it appears to only happen when I'm playing on multiplayer servers. I have a laptop set up as a server in another part of the house. My friends on the server dont appear to be having the issue. I'm playing in creative mode / single player though and browsing just fine.

Does this help narrow down the problem? :/