FTB Infinity: A question about Thaumcraft and Biomes O' Plenty

warpgamer

Jul 29, 2019
Hello guys,

I'm starting an FTB Infinity server with some friends, and I'm wondering if enabling Biomes O' Plenty would conflict with Thaumcraft4.
That is, Thaumcraft along other mods is reliant on some specific biomes that I fear will become rare into the mass of new biomes added by BoP.

So my question is: Has the modpack FTB Infinity been already tuned to solve this potential issue, or should I simply not enable BoP on the surface, or should I modify configurations to keep only a few BoP biomes I like and ditch a majority of them?

Thank you for your advice,
Warpgamer.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Start a creative test world and fly about and see for yourself. I don't use Infinity but my own home brew pack has BOP and Thaumcraft the magic forests are e everywhere. That being said I dont remember if I tooled around with biome weights, as jungles are hella rare in my current play through.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
By sheer weight of numbers, Thaumcrafts biomes are going to be somewhat rare in a BoP pack.
Thaumcraft also has specific gen that occurs in deserts (fire blooms), plains (barrow dens), extreme hills (Obsidian Altars) - all of which will be much more rare with BoP.

Obsidian Totems and Greatwood trees seem to be able to spawn in a lot of BoP biomes so no problems there.

Reactions: RedBoss

warpgamer

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for your advice; I think that I'll test it with about half of the BoP biomes, and trifle with the vanilla weights (i.e. make them higher).

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice - allthough perhaps a perversion of the name, if Biomes O Plenty could register just a few base biomes - and use them as biome categories.
i.e. a "BoP Desert" biome would be spawned, but it would contain BoP worldgen according to one of BoPs many hot & dry internal biomes.

Reactions: Rubyheart

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
I guess that I am fortunate to have a magical forest a few hundred blocks from my spawn.

They're not particularly rare if you explore a whole lot (although it can take quite a while to traverse your continent until you have some sort of fast flight item like Wyvern/Draconic armor or GraviChestplate). I've ran into several tainted biomes and probably a bunch of magical forest biomes as well (I haven't been counting).

If they are too rare you can adjust the weight of the Thaumcraft biomes up in Thaumcraft's config, although this won't solve the issue of worldgen becoming rarer due to being in Vanilla biomes. You can also try adjusting the BoP biome weights down so you get more of the other biomes (including Vanilla biomes).

warpgamer

Jul 29, 2019
I've ran some tests locally with about a third of BoP biomes turned down, and tripled the weights of Thaumcraft biomes, it behaves pretty well, found a magical forest quickly, as well as a desert.
I didn't find any tainted biome though.. for some reason I didn't indentify yet.