FTB Horizons III Energy storage question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

Mikemk

Is there a way to store large amounts of energy besides chaining energy cells? or make multiple energy cells act as one (eg ender io capacitor banks)

X

Xenulus

I'd like to know too. I'm just using resonant energy cells at the moment.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'd like to know too. I'm just using resonant energy cells at the moment.
Are those from TE? I didn't realise the cells had been implemented!

I did a bit of research when I saw @Mikemk put this up, and I came up completely empty to be honest!

EDIT: Even worse, unlike the EnderIO ones, they don't act like a multiblock, and the max in/out of RF/t cannot be changed - you're stuck with 25,000 RF/t at most!

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
you're stuck with 25,000 RF/t at most!

Per side...

Also, you can put "holding IV" on them.

Also, while they may not form a multi-block by themselves, nothing stops you from placing them in parallel, and connecting each output and each input with Cryo-Stabilized Fluxducts. That set up would act, in practice, just like the Ender IO capacitor bank.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Per side...

Also, you can put "holding IV" on them.

Also, while they may not form a multi-block by themselves, nothing stops you from placing them in parallel, and connecting each output and each input with Cryo-Stabilized Fluxducts. That set up would act, in practice, just like the Ender IO capacitor bank.
I thought holding only changed the total capacity rather than the RF/t? I didn't realise it was per side though, I thought that was in total, so my mistake there!

And you're right, that kind of setup should effectively behave in the same way. Its a more roundabout way of doing it by necessity, but it should work. That's some good lateral thinking! :)

EDIT: I'm imagining a power sandwich - cryo-stabilised fluxducts are the bread, and the energy cells are the filling, each set so that the top is (for example) out, the bottom is in, and the sides are none. Then you just take your CSFd from the bottom to your power gen, and from the top to your machines.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I thought holding only changed the total capacity rather than the RF/t?

That is true, and that is what I meant. I was partially replying to the OP with that comment. Sorry for the confusion.
It doesn't increase RF/t but it stores 150M instead of 50M. That is a major improvement in storage.

And to maximize RF/t on your sandwich, you'd make a diagonal one, where multiple sides are connected.

Or you could make an asymmetric sandwich; The technical purpose of energy storage is to deal with burst usage. So you'd have a relatively low power generator, and store the energy to use in large quantities once in a while. So you could connect 1 side to input and 5 sides to output.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That is true, and that is what I meant. I was partially replying to the OP with that comment. Sorry for the confusion.
It doesn't increase RF/t but it stores 150M instead of 50M. That is a major improvement in storage.

And to maximize RF/t on your sandwich, you'd make a diagonal one, where multiple sides are connected.

Or you could make an asymmetric sandwich; The technical purpose of energy storage is to deal with burst usage. So you'd have a relatively low power generator, and store the energy to use in large quantities once in a while. So you could connect 1 side to input and 5 sides to output.
That would also make sense! I can see how that would work.

I'm somewhat pedestrian in my imagination when it comes to this, I'm not going to lie. In my head I visualised just having a 2:1 fluxduct:cell ratio, and you expand the size of your 1-thick layer as needed; so say you needed to supply 1,000,000 RF/t for a short while, you would have, say, a 6x7 sheet of unenchanted resonant cells with a 6x7 sheet of cryo-stabilised fluxducts on either side. That would supply 1,050,000 RF/t, and hold 21,000,00,000 RF (which, at that RF/t, would last 100 seconds - not counting any input). I'm sure it could be done in a less resource-intensive way with some careful engineering, but like I said - my mind is a pedestrian place ;)

X

Xenulus

Are those from TE? I didn't realise the cells had been implemented!

I did a bit of research when I saw @Mikemk put this up, and I came up completely empty to be honest!

EDIT: Even worse, unlike the EnderIO ones, they don't act like a multiblock, and the max in/out of RF/t cannot be changed - you're stuck with 25,000 RF/t at most!
Yea, that's the downside. They don't act like a multiblock and you're bottlenecked at 25k. I mean, it's SOMETHING, but.....yea, just kinda limited. Instead of running your whole base off of one main power line, you have to divide it up. Right now I have one power source designated to my RS system, one for machines, and each void ore miner has it's own power source. Resonant energy cells for each one as a buffer.

M

Mikemk

I didn't realize at the time, but with calculator's conductor mast and locators, power storage isn't really a need any more, since you make so much free power

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yea, that's the downside. They don't act like a multiblock and you're bottlenecked at 25k. I mean, it's SOMETHING, but.....yea, just kinda limited. Instead of running your whole base off of one main power line, you have to divide it up. Right now I have one power source designated to my RS system, one for machines, and each void ore miner has it's own power source. Resonant energy cells for each one as a buffer.
This is true and you may find your setup is more than sufficient, but SevenMass has come up with some good ways of circumventing that 25,000 per side limit, so there are ways and means ;)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Indeed - when Xenulus, myself and others were referring to “Resonant” and “25,000”, those only apply to energy cells already upgraded via the machine upgrades to the top tier.