FTB fps issues:(

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

superweaknub

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys I have searched for hours and can figure this out.
I have ran the ftb launcher with Nvidia set as a priority over my Intel (default). But not much improvement was made I went from average of 8 fps to about 15 fps I also went to my nvidia settings and set java to run my nvidia gpu over my intel, but this also made no difference. I checked my java version and it is as up to date without being java 8 my drivers are all up to date as well.

Computer specs
Alienware
cpu-intel i5-3450
1tb hard drive
8gb memory(7gb allocated to ftb)
1gb Nvidia GForce GT 545
windows 7 home premium 64x
java 64x

Ps I have tried 3 different mod packs monsters direwolf 20 and glatacraft
Also my friend is running on the same server as me getting 80 fps
his specs are below

Asus laptop
cpu- intel core 2 duo p7450 2.13ghz
4gb ram (3 allocated)
Nvidia GForce GTX
Windows home 7 64x
java 7 update 51 64x

superweaknub

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the quick reply "rhn" but
I just turned it down to 3gb on the ftb launcher, and still I only get 10-15 fps. All advice is appreciated!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
There is a very good chance your NVIDIA settings are not being applied. My computer insisted on running off of my integrated graphics rather than my NVIDIA chip even after changing the settings. You will need to do a manual override to set the high performance chip to run all of the time (which isn't recommended btw) in order to get it to function correctly with MC.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also why would it be bad to run it over the integrated chip.
Integrated GFX chip: Toddlers push bike
Proper GFX card: Would say sports car, but in this case probably a used car with some years on it.

Which one do you want your Minecraft to drive in?

Reactions: PierceSG

superweaknub

Jul 29, 2019
The sports car but why would it be bad to take the sports car over the bike lol will I run over to many children with it or something HAHAHA! But for real how do I earn the keys to the sports car?

Also do you think my set up should be getting 10-15 fps?

superweaknub

Jul 29, 2019
So here is an update, I searched it up and I went to my nvidia settings manage 3D settings and I set my high performance gpu to default still nothing. I hope my gpu is not the issue here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
High performance won't solve poop.

Windows on a laptop, by default tries to push everything through the integrated GFX to save on power, as the nvidia one is very power hungry.

You need to specify to the nvidia drivers to push java.exe and javaw.exe to nvidia rather than the (probably) Intel one.

How to differs from driver to driver - but you can easily figure it out from the nvidia control panel.

I'd give you screenies but I'm posting from my PC and I don't have the laptop handy.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The nvidia drivers that ship with Windows do not typically ship with the latest OpenGL support. Minecraft uses OpenGL. So in the worst case you are using software OpenGL or some legacy OpenGL v2.

Have you downloaded and applied the drivers from nvidia.com?

superweaknub

Jul 29, 2019
I went in to my nvidia controller and allowed java.exe and javaw.exe and told both to use the high end card as for the drivers I downloaded them from gforce experience and that told me my nvidia car is up to date.

Once again thank you for the help!

superweaknub

Jul 29, 2019
I installed optifind as well, I played with the settings and can only get up to 17 and then it slowly drops to 12 fps

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know why everyone is having problems, I have a 600$ dell with no adjustments and it playes Direwolf and Ressurection at 60 frames, far, and minimum graphics . I recommend setting graphics to minimum and turn off smoothlighting.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
in MC options - video settings
Graphics: Fast
use VSync: off
Render Distance: 6-10 chunks

Nexestfatum

Jul 29, 2019
Go into the launcher, go to options and uncheck use optimization for fast computers. Went from 15 fps from simple early game to a static 60+