FTB Earth

Durnathi

Jul 29, 2019
On the main Minecraft forums they recently spotlighted a map someone hap made of the Earth that was at 1:1500 scale. I think it would be awesome if someone could help in the making of a FTB version and possibly even make it at 1:1 scale. If anyone knows how to go about converting real maps into minecraft maps with any kind of speed and accuracy please speak up, I just lack the required skill to get the ball rolling on this.

Reactions: 39cluesEKAT

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
a 1:1 Scale would probably be impossible, if only because there is no map that has enough resolution for that, and it would have an extremely large filesize.

MrAndrew420

Jul 29, 2019
I am by no stretch a math wiz or anything, but if the original map is 3.5 gigs at 1:1500, wouldn't that make the 1:1 scale something like 5 terabytes?

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
At 1:1 there wouldn't be even close to enough height available to make even fairly small hills. Mountains would be entirely impossible. Also the render distance would be so short relative to the real world that you would never be able to see anything interesting anyway. For instance, I live in a valley in Washington. I can see Mt. Rainier from my house even though it is over 50 miles away. In a 1:1 version of earth in Minecraft, standing at the same relative location as my home, I wouldn't even be able to see the nearby low hills that surround the valley I live in, let alone the nearby mountains. It would suck.

I did a quick calculation. Assuming 9000 meters needed to fit Mt. Everest in, and allowing 1600 meters to put the oceans in (entirely skipping the true depth in many areas), 1:42 is the lowest ratio you could use. However, that would not be a very good idea because in terms of render distance, assuming you can render 20 chunks in any given direction, you would only be able to see things that are about 8.5 miles away. In many scenarios that would be entirely inadequate. For instance, you would have to be about 1/4 of the way up Mt. Rainier to see its peak. 1:128 would probably be a better choice both to make a realistic depiction, and to make the math easier... But you would still need a really large HDD to store it on.

Reactions: VikeStep

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
At 1:1 there wouldn't be even close to enough height available to make even fairly small hills. Mountains would be entirely impossible. Also the render distance would be so short relative to the real world that you would never be able to see anything interesting anyway. For instance, I live in a valley in Washington. I can see Mt. Rainier from my house even though it is over 50 miles away. In a 1:1 version of earth in Minecraft, standing at the same relative location as my home, I wouldn't even be able to see the nearby low hills that surround the valley I live in, let alone the nearby mountains. It would suck.

I did a quick calculation. Assuming 9000 meters needed to fit Mt. Everest in, and allowing 1600 meters to put the oceans in (entirely skipping the true depth in many areas), 1:42 is the lowest ratio you could use. However, that would not be a very good idea because in terms of render distance, assuming you can render 20 chunks in any given direction, you would only be able to see things that are about 8.5 miles away. In many scenarios that would be entirely inadequate. For instance, you would have to be about 1/4 of the way up Mt. Rainier to see its peak. 1:128 would probably be a better choice both to make a realistic depiction, and to make the math easier... But you would still need a really large HDD to store it on.

Keep in mind, even at this size, your house will be the size of a quarter of a block. Imagine running a server on this though.

Durnathi

Jul 29, 2019
The 1:1 scale was being overly optimistic I admit. I was curious what the closest scale we could get this down to was. The much more exciting part in my mind would be getting all the biomes from Extrabiomes mapped correctly. If it ever does get finished I plan on uploading it to the server me and some of my friends play on. I'd have to run it by them but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't mind anyone who helps with this join us on the server...

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
The 1:1 scale was being overly optimistic I admit. I was curious what the closest scale we could get this down to was. The much more exciting part in my mind would be getting all the biomes from Extrabiomes mapped correctly. If it ever does get finished I plan on uploading it to the server me and some of my friends play on. I'd have to run it by them but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't mind anyone who helps with this join us on the server...

just saying if it was created at a ratio of 1:128, the file size would be approximately 41GB, that is totally incomprehensible for a server. Imagine the lag! unless you work at Google or run a server on one of IBM's supercomputers, the dream of hosting it on a server with a map that accurate is much a dream

Durnathi

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to hosting the server the RAM and Processing power are the bigger issues for lag. Keep in mind that not the entire map is loaded up at once. The dream of hosting it on a server however is a problem to tackle after the map has already been made. Since posting this I have found a map that is older and needs to be upconverted from the old minecraft save format. It isn't too far outside the scale we are currently discussing. I'd like to ask the author of that map if they mind us using his map as a launching point, but they seem to have become non active since posting the map a few years ago.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
What if each continent was a mystcraft age, so one would be Europe another Africa & so on hmm I guess still would be huge but least breaking down into manageable parts may help a little.

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
What original map? Two are mentioned in this thread.

The first ones ratio is to small to be much fun unless playing single player. For the second, nobody is talking about changing the ratio. They are taking about updating it to the current format and extended biomes to make it more accurate to how earth is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Durnathi

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/_snT_

That is the map I found that I was considering taking a look at converting. First I will need to update it to a current version of minecraft. It is at a 1:442 scale which seems to be the lowest scale that has been made to date. If anybody can find one that is at a better ratio please bring it up. The other map that is already made that I have mentioned is this one http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/the-recreation-of-the-earth-11500-scale/. Both maps are vanilla minecraft and the biggest thing is updating one to modded minecraft so it has good world gen and fix any other problems with them. The only reason I had brought up scale at all is if we need to start from scratch in the event that the author of both of these maps would not be ok with us modifying their map and redistributing it (since going against that would break the ideals of the FTB community) or it would be easier to start from scratch.