FTB Direwolf20 1.6.4 won't launch

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jankat7

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently downloaded the Direwolf20 1.6.4 pack, but whenever I click on the Launch button, both the launcher and the console are closed. After that, nothing happens and this is all I'm left with :

A text file that is called "hss_err_pid5796" that says:

#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (malloc) failed to allocate 32744 bytes for ChunkPool::allocate
# Possible reasons:
# The system is out of physical RAM or swap space
# In 32 bit mode, the process size limit was hit
# Possible solutions:
# Reduce memory load on the system
# Increase physical memory or swap space
# Check if swap backing store is full
# Use 64 bit Java on a 64 bit OS
# Decrease Java heap size (-Xmx/-Xms)
# Decrease number of Java threads
#
# Out of Memory Error
#
# ]

I don't really understand what it says, I hope someone around here can help me.

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
It is saying that minecraft ran out of memory. If you have a 64bit version OS then I suggest downloading and installing the 64bit version of Java. Be sure to remove all other versions even the 32bit versions. If you have a 32bit OS then you will need to remove a few of the mods that take up a lot of the RAM usage like waila and maybe Biomes O' Plenty. There are probably others you will need to remove as 102 mods is a lot for a 32bit computer to handle.

jankat7

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 64bit computer and 64bit latest java, 3gb video card and 6gb ram, so I doubt it has something to do with my computer's power. Could it be something to do with allocating ram and stuff?

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
I have a 64bit computer and 64bit latest java, 3gb video card and 6gb ram, so I doubt it has something to do with my computer's power. Could it be something to do with allocating ram and stuff?

Make sure you don't have other versions installed as well. If you do remove them so that you only have the 64bit one. Then go the options in the launcher and set the ram to 2GB.

jankat7

Jul 29, 2019
I only have the latest version of Java, I have already checked that. About ram, the scroll thing is full right now and it doesn't go above 1GB. Is there a way I could bring it up somehow?

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
I only have the latest version of Java, I have already checked that. About ram, the scroll thing is full right now and it doesn't go above 1GB. Is there a way I could bring it up somehow?

That is because you are still using the 32bit java and you need to be using the 64bit version. Remove all versions of java and install the latest x64 one from here.

jankat7

Jul 29, 2019
I already have Java 7-45 x64, I rechecked if my PC was x32 or x64 and when I right clicked "Computer" and choosed "Properties", it says I have x64. But I also have a "ProgramFiles x86" in my C folder, and I searched the internet a little bit and found out that x86 means x32. Does that mean/change something?

Last edited:

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
If you have the 64bit java then go to the options within the launcher and move the slider for ram upto 2GB. If it won't move then you have 32bit java still there.

If you didn't have a 64bit os you would not be able to install the 64bit java at all.

jankat7

Jul 29, 2019
I have 64 bit Windows and 64 bit java, at least that's what I think I have. I'm sure I have 64bit Windows though, and I installed 64bit java but I'm not sure if it works properly

Osky2918

Jul 29, 2019
You need to allocate more/less RAM. Open the launcher and click on options and set it around 2-4GB depends on how much your computer has.
It like the transmission in a car, you don't want under 10k rpm(stalling) and not over 40-50rpm(overheating).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jankat7

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to everyone who has helped but I think I have solved it. Osky, I knew I had to allocate more RAM but the slider couldn't go above 1GB. The official detector of java said I didn't have old versions but it seems like I did. I deleted the old one and the only one left is x64. I will try it once again and be back if it doesn't work. Thanks everyone!

jankat7

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, I totally removed all java from my computer and installed the 64bit one. I opened the launcher and it still doesn't go above 1GB. It says that I need 64 bit java to go up above 1GB but I already do! I have restarted my PC and stuff but it doesn't work. Any ideas? (Please read the thread before responding, don't respond with stupid ideas like format you PC, answer if you know something.)