FTB destroying my PC RAM; two Java processes = over 6GB?

pehn420

Jul 29, 2019
Hello -
I have been playing FTB for a while now, and I've never had any problems with RAM or any specs, I have a rather nice computer. AMD 8-core 4 ghZ and 8 GB RAM. However, I've started messing with Forestry and I have 5 redstone engines running in tandem right next to each other, plugged in to apiarys that are connected to Apiarist's' pipes which feed the bees back in to the apiarys, and they continue breeding forever, etc. A basic small bee farm.

However, I can't play FTB for more than about 10 minutes without my computer becoming so laggy I can't even watch something on my second screen Netflix because even though I have the FTB launcher allocated only 4 GB of RAM, my computer is showing two Java processes totalling more than 6GB on my task manager. In the Minecraft game, slowly the option for allocated RAM fills up until it's at 100%, and then everything starts dying. However, I've also heard people say that if you allocate too much RAM to FTB, it actually slows it down, and I only have 8GB total. Not sure what to do. I had to disable JourneyMap even though I love the mod because I couldn't even open my world anymore. I've played with bases way bigger than this one, I don't know why bees specifically ruin my server. Is it because I have so many bees? I have a lot. Hundreds.

Let me know what you guys think or if anyone has encountered this before. I ONLY have Java 64-bit installed, I deleted 32-bit and that helped for a while.

EDIT: Now, I can't even get the world to load. I changed nothing. I wrote this post, and then decided to close my world and wait until I heard from some people here. I've tried over 10 times, restarted my computer, and I cannot get my world to load anymore. It stops at "building terrain" and just eats more and more and more of my RAM. I can load other worlds, but not mine. I've reinstalled FTB as well, and still no changes.

This is unbelievably frustrating. Do people just not do anything with the Forestry mod? I've never had any trouble with anything else in all of FTB. I've messed with Botania, Blood Magic, Thaumcraft, Tinker's Construct, and I'm barely even into bees with Forestry and I can't even load my world anymore.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This may not address all your issues, but I do get the two javaw.exe process problem occassionally. One is your launcher, the other is your game. The launcher should never get big; just a couple hundred thousand bytes. But it does for whatever magical reasons.

You'll solve the majority of the lagging problem just by killing the launcher process. You can just get into the habit of killing the launcher once your game finishes loading; its easier to distinguish which one's the launcher at this point because it will be using much less memory still.

This still may not address your world loading. It sounds to me like you have some runaway process chewing up memory. Like a busted pipe with millions of bee entities dropping somewhere or something. You can try loading your world into MCEdit and see if anything stands out as a problem (I'm not going to be able to help you with mcedit specifically unfortunately)

pehn420

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you - I did kill the smaller process. I realized I had to "End Process" instead of "End Process Tree", which I was then able to do. Still cannot load my world - I'm going to give MCEdit a try. I will let you know. Appreciate the help!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Please post in the tech support section. This is beyond my ability to assist.

Clarify at that time whether its just this modpack, or any modpack at all that refuses to launch.