FTB Building Community

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I usually build my own terrain, since IMO minecraft terrain looks unnatural.

Yeah thats why I am using the Eldaria Islands map. Its large enough that I could build for an eternity on it. Probably will never play on a randomly generated overworld again. And for the record, retro ore gen works wonders on pre-generated maps like this. The only problem I had is figuring out what amounts of stuff like yellorite is fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Well then if i am free to ask for "color scheme" suggestions here i go.
I am looking for good balance of futuristic white/orange/gray(black) block textures for core of my base. This is what i made so far. I am not happy with how it looks so please if you have some good color balance shots - futuristic RL or game post it here or in PM. Also feel free to comment what to improve.

ioxcsbDccVV9b.png

I was inspired by Mirror Edge...
ibjehEF0tCfLy6.jpeg

And Deus Ex (UT4v)
Z%C3%A1bery-na-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolu-image-922.jpg

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a question for all you design folk. I've been tinkering with the drawbridges from tinker's construct, and came up with a neat way (I think) to show off/protect my AE network drives, still provide access to them, and have everything out of the way. I've connected up lighting, a block walkway, and stairs up to a half-height level. When no access is required, the lights turn off to show off the drive light glow, the walkway retracts, and the glass barrier comes down.

I'm pretty sure I want to fill in the 2 block "hole" at the back of the stairs when the stairway is up, as it just looks a bit funny without. My main question though, is how should I enable access for my ME drive system? I could have it as simple as a button toggle, a lever combo lock, or something else entirely. I'll be using a ME controller, so I could come up with something really off the wall, but I will need to access the drives periodically, so it can't be something too involved. Any thoughts?

2014-07-15_23.59.59.png 2014-07-16_00.01.00.png

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a question for all you design folk. I've been tinkering with the drawbridges from tinker's construct, and came up with a neat way (I think) to show off/protect my AE network drives, still provide access to them, and have everything out of the way. I've connected up lighting, a block walkway, and stairs up to a half-height level. When no access is required, the lights turn off to show off the drive light glow, the walkway retracts, and the glass barrier comes down.

I'm pretty sure I want to fill in the 2 block "hole" at the back of the stairs when the stairway is up, as it just looks a bit funny without. My main question though, is how should I enable access for my ME drive system? I could have it as simple as a button toggle, a lever combo lock, or something else entirely. I'll be using a ME controller, so I could come up with something really off the wall, but I will need to access the drives periodically, so it can't be something too involved. Any thoughts?

View attachment 11951 View attachment 11952
Iron switches are a cool substitute for levers.

Tsori

Jul 29, 2019
Personally i use camo levers from the secret rooms mod, however thats not in FTB, so perhaps a torch lever? or a hidden button within the hole

@epidemia78 I love the first town, tried a few towns myself but i run out of steam on it when i realise that towns like that will either be one of two things:

1. Empty and lifeless
2. Im going to try filling them with mods but everything ends up spread out too much and you have to fight the constraints of each building

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I find what the most important thing is is to keep a theme, and not vary other things like sizes too much. Maybe have a victorian-esque place, post-industrial revolution, with a big factory to one side, and lots of dingy homes, all patched together with different woods and the occasional bit of stone. The factory of course would be some kind of dark metal or maybe also stone, to look sooty, with tall chimneys from which smoke is pumped out of a factory, and all of the machinery is looking ramshackle and thrown-together.
You might then have a fairly poor-looking farm a short way off, in which you have all your animals and crops, accompanied with an again ramshackle farmhouse where you organise all of your farm stuff and store it.

Reactions: Tompa974

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
I find what the most important thing is is to keep a theme, and not vary other things like sizes too much. Maybe have a victorian-esque place, post-industrial revolution, with a big factory to one side, and lots of dingy homes, all patched together with different woods and the occasional bit of stone. The factory of course would be some kind of dark metal or maybe also stone, to look sooty, with tall chimneys from which smoke is pumped out of a factory, and all of the machinery is looking ramshackle and thrown-together.
You might then have a fairly poor-looking farm a short way off, in which you have all your animals and crops, accompanied with an again ramshackle farmhouse where you organise all of your farm stuff and store it.
For my next build I'm somewhere in the choosing between what you are talking about, the industrious and dirty look, and this; a spotless science lab-ish feel for experiments and genious (evil?) deeds.

The biggest difference between those two kinds of builds are the way you travel, either vertically or horizontally. Also, I shouldn't forget that vertical builds oftentimes save up on loaded chunks.

Thirdly, I want to avoid building downwards like a cave man. Having several houses and factories will in the end lead to me building basements here and there.

Bah, I want my stationary computer...

Suppressed

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah thats why I am using the Eldaria Islands map. Its large enough that I could build for an eternity on it. Probably will never play on a randomly generated overworld again. And for the record, retro ore gen works wonders on pre-generated maps like this. The only problem I had is figuring out what amounts of stuff like yellorite is fair.

Is Eldaria Islands compatible with Direwolf20 modpack?

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
Reteogen should work for CoFH and vanilla ores. I don't remember if Ars Magica has reteogen options.
Eldaria is an amazing map.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it should work with any mod pack but as stated above, you will be missing out on certain bits of worldgen even if you use retrogen. Like rubber trees. But thats what mystcraft is for. The overworld is for building.

kajoman

Jul 29, 2019
Hello; I'm just starting on the forums side of things and found this. Considering I suck at the aesthetic portion of minecraft, this is quite a nice place to be able to look through and get ideas. However, lately I tried my hand at building a church (to hold my thaumcraft stuff) and I think it came out rather nice. I wanted to know if I'm insane in the matter, and/or if anything could be improved:
BalconyRoof.png Chamber.png ChamberRoof.png ChmaberRoof.png EntraceWayBalcony.png EntranceWay.png EntranceWayLeft.png EntranceWayRight.png Overview.png Tower2.png

Thank You

sealedinterface

Jul 29, 2019

View attachment 11951 View attachment 11952

What you could do is instead of using the basalt (?) blocks underneath the stone brick stairs, use more upside-down stone brick stairs with it. Then the two-block gap behind the stairs won't be so imposing.

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
Here are some builds I've done on the Chrome Prophecies server in survival mode. The twin black skyscraper is my favorite (the white outline is done completely in microblocks, took frickin forever lol)

Attachments

• 2015-04-16_18.42.04.png
    2015-04-16_18.42.04.png
    749.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2015-04-16_18.42.58.png
    2015-04-16_18.42.58.png
    778.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 2015-06-01_14.55.30.png
    2015-06-01_14.55.30.png
    648.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 2015-06-01_14.57.58.png
    2015-06-01_14.57.58.png