Solved FTB Beyond: some players can join, others can't.

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

Let me get these questions out of the way first to help make this easier:

• What OS are you running? Windows 10
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft? I'm using a dedicated server
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version) FTB Beyond 1.11.0
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack? No
  • What are your server specs? Not entirely sure what info I need to provide here, but the folder says "FTBserver 1.10.2-12.18.3.2442" and "minecraft_server.1.10.2" (FTB's server download page lists it as 1.11.0's download) Please feel free to ask me for info I didn't provide in this section.
  • A good detailed paragraph about the problem
Alright, so here's what's going on: I have no issue accessing my server, two of my friends who live several states away have no issues, but another two of my friends have been unable to get on. Let's call them Friend A and Friend B. Friend A was originally able to login a few days ago, but since then the server has been listed as unavailable to him, even when he relogin's on the server selection page. Friend B has never been able to join, as he constantly got the java.net.socketexception: network unreachable no further information error. As of yesterday, he too no longer sees the server as available. Both parties have enabled my port in the firewall, as both TCP and UDP. Friend B has been able to join public servers with no issue, and Friend A used to be able to connect to mine, albeit with it kicking him every now and then. I'll list as many of the crazy amount of other steps we tried, though I'm sure I'll forget to list some: Minecraft Java memory has been allocated, both in the launcher and in the Twitch app, both at 6gb and plenty of more to spare on their systems; both have run the command "setx_JAVA_OPTIONS -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true, both have the same version of FTB as me and my other friends. My other friends have also done the above steps plus whatever ones I've forgotten, and have zero issue on server. The server can host up to 20 people at a time. Is this something on my end I need to fix? Or are there other steps I can provide for them to try? Thanks, I appreciate any help you can give.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
If that tool can reach the server and display the info - then the issue isn't at your end, it's at the ones trying to connect to you (or on the way)

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
If that tool can reach the server and display the info - then the issue isn't at your end, it's at the ones trying to connect to you (or on the way)

Well, it looks like it's an issue on my end, as Dinnerbone's checker can't pick up the server. I've got the ports open on my router, and enabled in my firewall. Any troubleshooting I can do?

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
So I had a weird solution to this: a third friend was having the same problem, and I must have gone through 10 different "What's my IP?" websites, all of them listed the same address listed in my ipconfig, but the last one had a different ip that's unlisted in my ipconfig. Dinnerbone's tool worked with it, as did friend c. I'd love to know where this IP came from, but for now I'm happy it's solved.

Reactions: grandrolf

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Most likely you have a LAN (local area network) at home, so every device on your home network gets a private ip-address from you router. And your router that connects to your ISP (internet service provider), has the public IP.

So if you check ipconfig on your local machine, you'll only get the local ip-address you have on the LAN, not the public one.

To check external/public ip-address from a CLI (command line interface), you could do this:

1 - Open PowerShell (that's on your computer)
2 - Run this command:
Invoke-RestMethod http://ipinfo.io/json | Select -exp ip

(that will check agains http://ipinfo.io and return the value)

Looks like this:
upload_2017-11-10_8-44-22.png

Reactions: Goobdude