FTB app deleted my instances folder on launch

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Katman333

Jun 3, 2020
I’m not exactly sure what happened, but I just launched the ftb app yesterday normally and it took a few tries for it to launch successfully. This was the first sign that something was wrong. When it finally launched, it said I had no modpacks installed. Weird. I started searching my computer for my ftb revelation files, but they were nowhere to be found. I opened up the contents of the ftb app and discovered that my instances folder was completely gone. Deleted. Not moved, or even trashed. Just dumped into the void. (I’m on a Mac, by the way.) I went to my iCloud account to view my recently deleted section, but the files weren’t in there either. I have no idea what the ftb app did with the instances folder when it launched, but I’ve lost the entire Modpack and all the worlds I had on it. Anyone else experiencing this issue or know what to do about it?

Reactions: another_seb

indrifan

Jun 12, 2020
I've had this happen twice now on my Mac, about a week ago and just now. It looks like there may be an auto update running: the current launcher in Resources/app is launcher-202006121223-ac73c94902-all.jar, which changed at 7:24 AM today (6/12). The first line in launcher.log is dated this evening, when I started FTB.
This is on me, but unfortunately my "Time Machine" backups haven't been running, so I can't say for certain when the instances folder disappeared. I guess it's that much more motivation to get my new backup drive spun up.

Praus

Jul 29, 2019
Yep this happened to me too. It happened two times now. First time I thought maybe I had made some sort of mistake. I’m also on a Mac. Luckily I did have a time machine backup. I would assume that because the instances are stored in the app itself, they are somehow getting deleted when the app updates?

indrifan

Jun 12, 2020
It just happened again, some time between 3:00 PM and 4:45 PM Eastern time. This time at least I have a backup, but it's still pretty annoying. Can the instances folder be moved from the app itself to somewhere in the user's home directory, e.g. Documents or Library?

tanjer1588

Jul 29, 2019
Well seems im not the only one this is happening to. I just launch my app today and as it updated everything was wipe off the face of the earth. Any way to launch this without the FTB app so i dont have to worry about this next time?

Lairy_hogg

Jun 27, 2020
This has just happened to me too. Received a launcher update after which I had to reinstall the modpack I was using and found that my save had been deleted. Tried looking for files in the install location but couldn't find any saves.

Kravyn

Jul 29, 2019
The issue was not that it deleted your save it seems to have changed the instance folder to a different location. Especially if you setup a different folder then default. Just put the original instance folder and restart the client it should notice the changes then and give you the original saves back.

Nibin

Jul 29, 2019
What Kravyn has mentioned above. You should be able to find your older saves in a different folder. In Windows, they used to be in Users/Username/appdata/roaming/FTBA and/or Users/Username/appdata/roaming/ftb-app but now it is in users/username/.ftba

On Mac, no idea. A search for all folders named instances should find them.

Hattrix

Mar 22, 2020
If you can find your old FTBA folder, just copy and paste the ENTIRE contents into the new .ftba folder that was created. It should then work fine.
That worked for me.