Frequent crashes lately

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
A

Anton_

This is getting ridiculous. Crashes are happening more and more often. This screenshot shows yesterdays' crashes, timestamped. The longer intervals is where I was AFK doing something else.

http://imgur.com/a/YedQm

Can I roll back the modpack to pre-1.9? It was after updating to that version that all the crashes started.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Darkhax is taking his sweet time to answer :/

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk

A

Anton_

Thanks for the update, Robijnvogel - I was beginning to feel forgotten!

Some things which make me wonder if this problem is local to my setup.
(1) No-one else seems to have this problem - 10-20 crashes a day would surely cause an uproar in the forums!
(2) There are sometimes periods (around an hour or so) when everything works perfectly, and then a long series of crashes every few minutes, occasionally within seconds of startup.
(3) The start of my problems coincided exactly with modpack update to 1.9 - which might, of course, be just a coincidence.

Thinking that it might be my internet connection, I've (a) changed my home router's wifi channels, (b) used my phone as a router, both as a wifi hotspot and USB-tethering. Oddly, such changes sometimes seemed to settle the problem for long enough for me to think I've cracked it, but then the crashes start again, with a vengeance.

I've also un- and re-installed Java, but didn't help.

Other than un- and re-installing Twitch/Curse (and ultimately Windows!), I don't know what else I could try.

A

Anton_

Bump. Still no reply?

Crashes now occur by far most often when I'm doing anything on a Refined Storage grid - not every time, but when they do occur, it's often associated with me interacting with the grid.

Tonight I've had two immediate crashes, before the framerate gets above 5fps, with me not having touched anything. And then several a little later in the game, but all associated with either RS grid or RS crafter usage (R-clicking to open them).

Last edited:
A

Anton_

Thanks Henry Link. I have posted a few previous crash reports in this thread - here follows the latest one, crash just occurred a few minutes ago:

http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/8fc1e3e1

I have to say that since moving a lot of stuff off my C: drive (110Gb SSD, now has 50% free space) and moving MC from a HDD to a new SSD, crashes have been less frequent, but still several a day.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Sorry, I didn't know this was 2 pages to this thread. I did review some of the other logs. Not sure if this will up.

Has anyone suggested using a newer version of java and going into the settings for curse/twitch and change it to the jar launcher method. All of the reports/logs I've reviewed show java 8 u 25 which is the built in to the curse/twitch launcher.

A

Anton_

Java reports itself as being the latest version, or it did a few days ago. I uninstalled and reinstalled it anyway, just in case the report was out of sync with reality. No change.

I'll try the "Jar Launcher" (that's from "LAUNCH METHOD"?) later today - it's nearly 3am!

Thank you for your advice. :)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So...
This looks to a be a problem with game save. The first reports indicates a crash due to ticking world. The last report indicates a crash due concurrent modification and there are indications of the CPU not being able to handle what is in the world. As a test can you rename the world and try to create a new one. This will verify that it is an issue with game save.

If it is the game save, then there is some automation, bug or mod interaction that is causing this. Have you tried to run tickprofiler on this yet? It might help locate the issue.
https://github.com/MinimallyCorrect/TickProfiler#readme

A

Anton_

Thanks Henry Link. I'm only superficially techie and have never installed any module other than what came bundled with DW20's modpack, and there I was just blindly following prompts. There are quite a lot of files linked from the GitHub site (to Jenkins) - should I follow the link to 1.10.2? Which file/s should I download? I presume I'm looking for a .jar file? And presumably that goes into F:\Games\Curse\Minectaft\Instances\FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.10\mods ?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
My fault... I forgot that the Github links you to a jenkins site for th download. You can get the jar file from here.
https://jenkins.nallar.me/job/TickProfiler/job/1.10.2/

But yes you have the correct path for the file. Just copy it there and start your game. Once you get in try to run a profile and see what it does. Also, if you can keep an eye on the CPU in the task manager. Change the view to show logical processors. See if one of the logical processors is maxing out while playing your game. If so that isn't good but again points to an issue where something is eating up CPU cycles in the game.

A

Anton_

Thanks for the download link. There are two files there, "TickProfiler-1.10.2-jenkins.49-sources.jar" and "TickProfiler-1.10.2-jenkins.49.jar" - I downloaded the second one assuming that the actual code would be smaller than the source that created it - I hope that was right?

Got the TM showing CPU performance, logical processes (I'm learning a lot!), and about to run the game now.

Later: After more than an hour playing, it crashed. CPU activity images here:
http://imgur.com/a/2BPAr

I hadn't done the TickProfiles thing yet - not exactly sure what to do with it?

Last edited:
A

Anton_

Henry Link, thanks - did you see my edit to my last post with the CPU graphs? Also, I'm not sure how to use TickProfiler?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Profiller instructions are here: https://github.com/MinimallyCorrect/TickProfiler/wiki

I would recommending starting with the /profile e command. Also, the /profile l might be useful because one of your crash reports was for concurrent modification. Keep in mind when you run these they will run in the background for a few minute before displaying results. The entity command will give you an idea which mod is hogging all of the CPU cycles.

A

Anton_

Okay, cool! Will I find the output from Profiler in the "logs" folder, with the crash reports?

A

Anton_

It outputs in Chat, as you say, but my tech knowledge is not up to making much sense of it :(

Just had another crash, but without the noticeable CPU spike in the IMGUR pics. The last day or so crashes are fewer but seem to be coming out of the blue (rather than associated with accessing an RS grid). I expect there's no point in running a /profile command when the game has restarted after a crash, as the mischief will no longer be evident there?

At what point of my game should I be running a /profile command? And how do I interpret the output?