FPS slowing, closely followed by a crash

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BigFriendlyJakey

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys and gals,
So my FTB Unleashed has been having some difficulties. I start my game by lagging down to 10fps, and I havent moved yet. After, I run around for about 2 mins still on 10, doin stuff (barely), but then my system decides to poop itself, and crashes the game, and freezes my computer. Any way to fix this? Or just increase the FPS for longer?

FTB Launcher is 1.3.3
Unleased is 1.5.2 on 1.1.7
Optifine is installed, with all setting on the fastest possible
... I'm also on an iMac (10.9.1 aka Macericks)
I have 4 gb of ram, still got over 100g on my hard drive
Intel Core Duo 2
Nvidia Geforce 9400 256 mb

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
How much RAM do you dedicate to FTB (under settings)

I would also like the crash log.

These two things should help us a bit more

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
What version of Java? I've heard a lot about the macs having serious issues with Java 7.

How much RAM have you allocated to MC on the launcher? 1GB probably isn't enough for unleashed and that's the default.

Have you tried without Optifine? It causes problems about as much as it solves them. Always try with and without and see which is actually better.

What's the crash you get?

What about MC settings, such as draw distance?

Have you added/changed anything else?

Also, sorry but I have to ask: Do you have a windows machine you could use, or could you dual boot to windows? Mac just isn't for gaming.

BigFriendlyJakey

Jul 29, 2019
Okeay, so I've only dedicated 1.25 so its not over half of my ram. Would like to send a crash log, but I have to shut down my computer the second it crashes because it just freezes, and my mouse locks into FTB, I cant do anything after it crashed

BigFriendlyJakey

Jul 29, 2019
I havent changed anything to the default ftb. My drawdistances is usually short or tiny, and I just got optifine installed because before that, I was on 1-5 frame per second

BigFriendlyJakey

Jul 29, 2019
not 100% sure how to dual boot windows. I tried Parallels, paid over $100 for it, and it couldnt run .exe files, or anything like it

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
If it doesn't actually crash, it won't generate a crash log. You could try logging in, play for a little bit and log out then post the regular logs. Something might show up there.

BigFriendlyJakey

Jul 29, 2019
It responds to cmd opt esc, but I have to close everything, and it takes about 5 min for the computer to actually do it, no point really

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
not 100% sure how to dual boot windows. I tried Parallels, paid over $100 for it, and it couldnt run .exe files, or anything like it

Dual Boot means a completely separate install of windows. During the boot process, it will ask what OS you want to load...so this is before either MAC or Windows take over. ( It's the "bootloader" that handles this. ) You might need to look up the actual process so you don't overwrite your current OS. ( It'll require a separate partition on the HD. ) I'm not sure on the specifics for doing this with mac, but you can google it probably even for your specific iMac. This is completely free, does not use any separate program like parallels, and will run at full speed unlike VMs. Not sure if your OS comes with a disk partition tool though that can make the required partitions for windows though.

However, this does mean a second OS using your disk space, and you have to restart the computer to switch between the 2.

BTW: Remember to try the above simpler stuff first. No sense wasting a couple hours time that might not work, when you could spend just a few minutes.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
BootCamp is the system Apple set up for dual-booting to Windows. In a nutshell, you backup your system, get an installer for a suitable copy of Windows, then run the BootCamp Assistant from /Applications/Utilities.

It responds to cmd opt esc, but I have to close everything, and it takes about 5 min for the computer to actually do it, no point really
"Everything"? Surely you get different results if you close things down in different orders?

Good to know your system isn't actually freezing - that makes it far less likely that your computer is the problem. See if you can pinpoint a specific process that's stalling things on you.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have any kind of system resource logger? Something that can log CPU, RAM, Hard Drive usage over a short time.

Also, can you check on your Java version?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Well, at this point we are probably going to need logs. Best to just upload them all. There's several in your FTB folder, then again in unleashed/minecraft are several more.

Never be afraid to give TOO MUCH information:)

( Well, except the obvious security related ones, lol. No one should ever be told your password, etc. )

BigFriendlyJakey

Jul 29, 2019
okay, so these are the only ones that this website lets me upload, the rest are .log files, and aren't accepted

Attachments

• MinecraftLog.txt
    150.9 KB · Views: 55
  • FTBLauncherLog.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 42

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
okay, so these are the only ones that this website lets me upload, the rest are .log files, and aren't accepted

I haven't been through everything yet, but one thing did stand out:

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError occurred dispatching signal Unknown Signal to handler- the VM may need to be forcibly terminated

A quick search, and I found this thread:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1688588-lag-spikes-then-death-solution-found/

Essentially, they increased their permgen size and it fixed it. This is a common thing to increase in modded minecraft, and is safe to use. ( I use it myself. ) On the FTB launcher, select options -> Advanced options, then in additional java parameters add in:

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

There's a thread kicking around here somewhere about java parameters that you might want to take a look at as well. It goes far more into detail, with dozens of settings.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Check drivers.

Check system temperatures.

Check power supply.

Check fans.

If any of these is out of place, my guess is your video card is stressed, getting too hot and crashing.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys and gals,

I have 4 gb of ram, still got over 100g on my hard drive
Intel Core Duo 2
Nvidia Geforce 9400 256 mb

That's part of your problem right there. Those are some extremely low end specs, I would start by taking a look into your processor and video card temps. It could be your just overworking your computer and it overheats. Also, when was the last time you cleaned out your case and fans?

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't been through everything yet, but one thing did stand out:

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError occurred dispatching signal Unknown Signal to handler- the VM may need to be forcibly terminated
A quick search, and I found this thread:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1688588-lag-spikes-then-death-solution-found/

Essentially, they increased their permgen size and it fixed it. This is a common thing to increase in modded minecraft, and is safe to use. ( I use it myself. ) On the FTB launcher, select options -> Advanced options, then in additional java parameters add in:

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

There's a thread kicking around here somewhere about java parameters that you might want to take a look at as well. It goes far more into detail, with dozens of settings.
Better to do -XX: PermSize=256 the MaxPermSize argument can cause issues itself and later java's (7u40+) are fairly good at handling PermSize up to a limit. Thread here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/jvm-arguments-for-modded-minecraft-updated-12-30-13.28994/ .
(no space in the argument but the forum code smilies it :))