FPS seems low for the muscle of my hardware

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
I am sorry to say that I am also pretty much out of ideas

I am using these jvm arguments for all thats worth

-XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc
No worries, thanks for the help you guys. At the end of the day I can live with 40FPS.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
If you want to be 100% sure that you are using discrete GPU open MC's options... => snooper stettings... => scroll down and check line with opengl_vendor

OR

Crash your MC with F3+C and check the log. E.g. "
OpenGL: GeForce GT 540M/PCIe/SSE2 GL version 4.4.0, NVIDIA Corporation"

Someone really should add GPU vendor logging into forge/FML. It would make debugging optimus problems so much easier...

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to be 100% sure that you are using discrete GPU open MC's options... => snooper stettings... => scroll down and check line with opengl_vendor

OR

Crash your MC with F3+C and check the log. E.g. "
OpenGL: GeForce GT 540M/PCIe/SSE2 GL version 4.4.0, NVIDIA Corporation"

Someone really should add GPU vendor logging into forge/FML. It would make debugging optimus problems so much easier...
Says the vendor is NVIDIA, so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm using my GPU. But can anyone confirm that my hardware is capable of 60FPS? I don't want to be looking for apples on a pear tree.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Says the vendor is NVIDIA, so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm using my GPU. But can anyone confirm that my hardware is capable of 60FPS? I don't want to be looking for apples on a pear tree.

Other than the amount of RAM, your hardware appears to be better than mine and I pull 60+ FPS easily. So based on my limited experience, I would say probably.

Linkero

Jul 29, 2019
Erm, have you tried adjusting the slider that says 'max framerate' all the way to unlimited? I'm currently pushing 60 with soartex and shaders. You should be smashing it easily

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Erm, have you tried adjusting the slider that says 'max framerate' all the way to unlimited? I'm currently pushing 60 with soartex and shaders. You should be smashing it easily
Yes, could be the culprit. The Max FPS slider doesn't just cut off fps once it reaches max, it actually slows the system down to reduce the resource load that MC is using at any given moment. It effectively works like a power saver function. If you want higher FPS, make sure to slide it all the way up so that MC is allowed all the CPU/GPU time it needs to achieve this.

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, could be the culprit. The Max FPS slider doesn't just cut off fps once it reaches max, it actually slows the system down to reduce the resource load that MC is using at any given moment. It effectively works like a power saver function. If you want higher FPS, make sure to slide it all the way up so that MC is allowed all the CPU/GPU time it needs to achieve this.
That did it!!! :D I'm now pushing 150+ FPS. I was keeping it at 60 to try and smooth out the frames, but it seems that did more harm than good.