FPS seems low for the muscle of my hardware

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
FPS seems low for the muscle of my hardware
Launcher Version:
v1.4.3
Modpack:
Direwolf20 1.7.10
Modpack Version:
v1.3.1
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm getting an average of 40FPS at high settings even though I'm pretty sure my build is more than enough to get at least 60FPS.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K 3.5GHz
RAM: 2x8GB (Only dedicating 4GB to FTB since I'm pretty sure it doesn't ever use more than that)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 770

Let me know if you need anymore information.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Check if vsync is not turned on and check if minecraft uses the nvidia card (this is assuming that you have an integrated gpu)

edit and what java version are you using and are you using fastcraft?

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
Check if vsync is not turned on and check if minecraft uses the nvidia card (this is assuming that you have an integrated gpu)

edit and what java version are you using and are you using fastcraft?
Vsync was off, though turning it on didn't seem to change anything. I'm not sure how to check if minecraft is using my card, but the FTB launcher says my java version is 1.7.0_55. No, I'm not using fastcraft.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
then try with fastcraft also try google ;), it can tell you a lot. It was the third link for me

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
then try with fastcraft also try google ;), it can tell you a lot. It was the third link for me
The acer directions from that link were ineffective, as I don't have the "Classic View" option that it speaks of. However, I'm now installing Fastcraft to see if it helps.....

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
It also tells you how to force it, as you want to have it use the NVIDIA card anyway I don't see that much of a problem with it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Open the Nvidia Control Panel, click on Manage 3D Settings, Program Settings, Add, select Java(TM) Platform SE binary and then under the preferred graphics processor and pick the High-performance NIVIDIA processor. That will make Java run on the Nivida card.

My advice, allocate 3GB of RAM to MC and no more unless needed. It almost always goes over the allocated amount, so this will prevent it from choking your system.

Reactions: lenscas

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
It also tells you how to force it, as you want to have it use the NVIDIA card anyway I don't see that much of a problem with it.
It seems I was wrong, and the Direwolf20 pack inherently used Fastcraft. I guess I had Fastcraft all along :rolleyes:.

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
Open the Nvidia Control Panel, click on Manage 3D Settings, Program Settings, Add, select Java(TM) Platform SE binary and then under the preferred graphics processor and pick the High-performance NIVIDIA processor. That will make Java run on the Nivida card.

My advice, allocate 3GB of RAM to MC and no more unless needed. It almost always goes over the allocated amount, so this will prevent it from choking your system.
I added Java to the GPU list, and lowered MC to 3GB, but I can't seem to find the "preferred graphics processor" option. Going to test with current changes anyways.

EDIT: No change. MAYBE 1 or 2 frames average higher, but that may just be my brain wanting to see improvement :/.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
did you enable clouds?

I find them useless and I find that they cost a good amount of fps

Alphastorm07

Jul 29, 2019
did you enable clouds?

I find them useless and I find that they cost a good amount of fps
Here's a pic of my graphical settings. Is there anything that would be unnecessarily taxing on my system?
0rihSTd.png

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
image is broken for me
edit and now it works
turn advanced openGL on and Vsync off
If that still doesn't work change the smooth Lightning

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Take a picture of the Nvidia control panel settings for Java and post it here. I'm most concerned about that currently.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I am sorry to say that I am also pretty much out of ideas

I am using these jvm arguments for all thats worth

-XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc