FPS (frames per second) improvement

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

E_DM_B

Jul 29, 2019
FPS in MC/FTB is very confusing, I have a (pretty new) integrated GFX chip in my laptop, and I can run Monster or TPPI on max settings at a steady 50FPS even in very established worlds. The only thing that has brought my rig to it's knees is generating new terrain and growing/using a harvester on a sacred rubber tree.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
FPS in MC/FTB is very confusing, I have a (pretty new) integrated GFX chip in my laptop, and I can run Monster or TPPI on max settings at a steady 50FPS even in very established worlds. The only thing that has brought my rig to it's knees is generating new terrain and growing/using a harvester on a sacred rubber tree.
what CPU you got?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I am guessing you are talking about the 1.7 versions? Cause all the 1.6 versions still seem to have the major flaws of making limbs of players and mobs and parts of machinery, chests etc. go missing.

No, I'm actually talking about the 1.6 version. I have no issues at all with about 180 mods loaded besides minor z-fighting. Note, don't use the ultra version of optifine though.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Given the basic method of reducing particles and changing view depth, what are real ways to improve FPS and why do they work (the technical component). "Bob said use Java flag X" isn't a valid answer. Optifine has a reputation for breaking things.
I'm sorry to report that reducing particle count has been the only thing to have ever had a positive impact on my framerate, with reducing view depth a distant second, and only mattering when trying to play on a severely underpowered machine. Optifine, even when it didn't break things, never helped FPS, either, in my experience. Likewise, I have yet to meet a single JVM argument that helped at all, though I've met lots of them that hindered.

Ultimately, the best you can do is aim for middle-of-the-road performance -- don't try to max out FPS, do VSync (more frames than your display can handle are never useful), and hope for the best. I have a by-now-outdated gaming-grade machine and I'm getting 40-60 FPS relatively reliably with no more than a 2 GB memory allocation and 256 MB of permgen space.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
running ftb on a laptop, i can definitely say there are a few things that will help:

1) ram. dedicate more to mc if you got it. 4 gigs is a good amount

2) cpu. mc is very, very, VERY cpu dependent. the faster your cpu can twiddle those bits, the more stuff java and mc can do. graphics cards wont help, i run an integrated intel graphics chipset and ive had times where ill get 60fps, and others where im looking at a powerpoint presentation...i've run dual nvidia card setups. no difference.

3) i know its the obvious, but smooth lighting off, particles minimum, render distance short/tiny defintely help. vsync on, and if your cpu can take the abuse, run at max fps setting. if the fans get obnoxious, try balanced. default texture pack as well. those fancy texture packs do affect performance, especially beyond 16x res.

4) do you have to have mobs? peaceful mode helps in cutting out all that AI processing. sometimes it doesnt help much tho, bats love crowding dark areas, very annoying ;) if its not an option, light up/half slab as much land around you to keep the agressive mob spawning in check. if thats not an option, build a cursed earth grinder....force the issue and keep them spawning in one place, and out of your rendering cycles

5) something i do a lot...if you run a lot of machinery with pipes and such where entities will be flying around in view...wall them up in a way that your not looking at the entire rats nest all at the same time. splitting up the view helps a lot

6) try to keep chunk updates down. do you really need to grind 100 mobs per second? or trees? or grow 1000 crops? same with redstone, cobble generators (not the machines, the water/lava source block kinds), block placer/breakers, anything that will cause all sorts of chunky shenanigans

7) disable rain (right click the rain button in NEI). i really hate rain ;)

8) armys of turtles/computers = lots of java threads executing interpreters translating code in minecraft, which is running in an interpreted environment already. even a row of melee turtles in a grinder can cause a lot of lag

9) applied energistics: it is wonderful at automation, but it is also a resource hog if you have walls of machines being driven by hundreds of import/export interfaces. try to optimize the processes so they dont require AE interaction. for example, you dont need to tell ae how to preprocess ores, set up your system so they are preprocessed before they even enter the AE system. have sawmills preprocess wood to planks, etc. some clever usage of ae level emitters or logistics pipes can help a lot here, you dont need a dsu storing dsu's full of cobblestone, unless you *really* want a neptune's orbit worth of cobble ;)

6) disable mods. less mods = less ram hog, less mountains of code to run per tick. minimaps add more processing. all those little extras that you never use, turn em off. theres a lot of mods in monster, and chances are most times, you use maybe 30 out of the 100+ running in the background. dye trees is a bad one, its a frickin mob spawner without the machinery. depends on your play style, i stick mostly to the tech mods, so i disable a lot of the fantasy/mob/nature type mods.

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
running ftb on a laptop, i can definitely say there are a few things that will help:

1) ram. dedicate more to mc if you got it. 4 gigs is a good amount

2) cpu. mc is very, very, VERY cpu dependent. the faster your cpu can twiddle those bits, the more stuff java and mc can do. graphics cards wont help, i run an integrated intel graphics chipset and ive had times where ill get 60fps, and others where im looking at a powerpoint presentation...i've run dual nvidia card setups. no difference.

3) i know its the obvious, but smooth lighting off, particles minimum, render distance short/tiny defintely help. vsync on, and if your cpu can take the abuse, run at max fps setting. if the fans get obnoxious, try balanced. default texture pack as well. those fancy texture packs do affect performance, especially beyond 16x res.

4) do you have to have mobs? peaceful mode helps in cutting out all that AI processing. sometimes it doesnt help much tho, bats love crowding dark areas, very annoying ;) if its not an option, light up/half slab as much land around you to keep the agressive mob spawning in check. if thats not an option, build a cursed earth grinder....force the issue and keep them spawning in one place, and out of your rendering cycles

5) something i do a lot...if you run a lot of machinery with pipes and such where entities will be flying around in view...wall them up in a way that your not looking at the entire rats nest all at the same time. splitting up the view helps a lot

6) try to keep chunk updates down. do you really need to grind 100 mobs per second? or trees? or grow 1000 crops? same with redstone, cobble generators, block placer/breakers, anything that will cause all sorts of chunky shenanigans

7) disable rain (right click the rain button in NEI). i really hate rain ;)

8) armys of turtles/computers = lots of java threads executing interpreters translating code in minecraft, which is running in an interpreted environment already. even a row of melee turtles in a grinder can cause a lot of lag

9) applied energistics: it is wonderful at automation, but it is also a resource hog if you have walls of machines being driven by hundreds of import/export interfaces. try to optimize the processes so they dont require AE interaction. for example, you dont need to tell ae how to preprocess ores, set up your system so they are preprocessed before they even enter the AE system. have sawmills preprocess wood to planks, etc. some clever usage of ae level emitters or logistics pipes can help a lot here, you dont need a dsu storing dsu's full of cobblestone, unless you *really* want a neptune's orbit worth of cobble ;)

6) disable mods. less mods = less ram hog, less mountains of code to run per tick. minimaps add more processing. all those little extras that you never use, turn em off. theres a lot of mods in monster, and chances are most times, you use maybe 30 out of the 100+ running in the background. dye trees is a bad one, its a frickin mob spawner without the machinery. depends on your play style, i stick mostly to the tech mods, so i disable a lot of the fantasy/mob/nature type mods.

All reasonable suggestions. Given it's ticking on the server and I maintain a tight ship with 20 TPS all the time much of the lag you describe isn't happening here like it could be in single player.

Mine appears to be strictly client rendering lag. I also know it tends to happen around congregations of machines, so I'm spread out. Thanks for your constructive suggestions.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
then it might be networking...i dont know what to say here because...i run single player most of the time, hence the sever chopping up of the modpack to make it tolerable for me. a lot of the mods do send a bit of data back and forth between server and client

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I guess they're still faster than complex redstone circuitry if your program only checks things every 10 seconds or so, as opposed to every two ticks.
Spreading out is key, you should build multiple bases which are at least one render distance apart. Mystcraft portals or books and tesseracts are your friends there.
The flash in ME cables can be deactivated in the config. Using covered cable doesn't really helps as it's still rendered on the junctions.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The flash in ME cables can be deactivated in the config. Using covered cable doesn't really helps as it's still rendered on the junctions.
Hmm think I should maybe look into disabling this in my current monster world, seeing that I am currently up to having 1200+ lengths of cable in my base :p It is just so damn handy in detecting if it is hooked up properly.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
The most impact on my FPS are always the harvesters from MFR. Whenever I start to use them the FPS goes down.. A lot.

I changed my ways and use Forestry multifarms now, or make a special MFR chunk on a remote location (void age etc). Of course there are more causes, magic crops with their fancy particles for example (you can turn that off in the configs) or sounds from ic2 / mekanism (which you can also turn off).

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure MC is being rendered using your GFX card and not onboard GPU or CPU. This is often overlooked and is the main cause of FPS issues

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No, I'm actually talking about the 1.6 version. I have no issues at all with about 180 mods loaded besides minor z-fighting. Note, don't use the ultra version of optifine though.
Ahh you are right. I have always used/attempted to use the Ultra version for its massive benefits(multicore chunkloading etc). But the Standard version doesn't seem to cause the "missing limb" bug. It doesn't give the huge boost that Ultra does either, but still smoothens everything out and ups the FPS slightly.
And as a added bonus it opens up for your texture pack to customize a ton of stuff it cant do without it, such as the sky, water, grass etc.

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
Try adding javaw.exe to the nVidia control panel. It helped me some (from 30's to 40-50 fps) on a very dated GTX275

Open nVidia control panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Add
C:\program files\java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe

Make sure "Power Management Mode" is set to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

{Derp, OP has ATI, there might be something equivalent in the CCC, but I don't have an ATI machine to play with}

Last edited:
Reactions: Bracye

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019

There is a difference between integrated graphics and a dedicated card. Well they are small differences at times, a low end dedicated card like even a Nvidia 4xx series card will do much better the anything Intel or AMD has put into their chips so far. Also, using the Max FPS setting is not abusing your processor whatsoever unless you have cooling issues to begin with which will result in the processor downclocking itself.

"Fancy" texture packs barely affect performance except for loading times UNLESS you are using integrated graphics. Integrated graphics have to use the slow system memory and most default to a small amount like 64 or 128MB. Many packs won't fit in that space, but even a very old dedicated card with 512MB of VRAM can use any texture pack with no noticeable change in FPS.