Found something new? Strange? Cool? Don't know what it is? Look here first!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The world of Feed the Beast is full of wonders. Few adventurers are familiar with everything you find on your travels. And as the mods update, they add many features you might not know about.

Every time a mod adds something new, people are starting dozens of threads asking about their new discovery. This serves no purpose and only fills the forums with repeats of the same question. Therefore this thread aims to detail the most commonly found structures and other oddities you might come across.

Please look here first if you are wondering what something is. Click the Show button to reveal a picture and more information about every structure. If you find something not listed here, please don't start a new thread about it! Ask in this thread and we will try to help - and add it to the list for others to see.

(1) Obsidian pillars or small structures on the surface.
2013-02-06_09-19-57-jpg.1876

Added by Thaumcraft. They sometimes contain a mob spawner or a loot chest. Harvest the obsidian pillars (you can use an iron pick), you will need them later in your thaumic research.

(2) Massive veins of apatite ore.
fetch.php

Forestry recently changed apatite ore generation. Instead of spawning in small chunks all over the place like other ores, apatite will spawn in much rarer, but massive veins like the one in the picture. Harvest it or leave it if you don't have the inventory space. The new multi-block farms will consume apatite in form of fertilizer to grow crops or trees.

(3) Floating tower/castle in the Twilight Forest.
7HGCmRO.jpg

This is a Sky Castle added by the Twilight Forest mod. The castle is very much unfinished, you will not find much in it for now. You can break the walls with an axe if you're very patient, or by any device that destroys blocks instantly - turtles, Redpower block breakers, mining laser, etc.

(4) Flying balls of light. May sometimes hit you with lightning.
zZeXmd1.png

These are Wisps, added by Thaumcraft. Whenever the flux in an aura node reaches high levels, the flux will materialize itself into the living world in form of Wisps. This drains some flux from your node. Depending on which aspect caused the flux, different types of wisps can spawn. Some types will hurt you with lightning bolts. (For more information about aura and flux, consult your Thaumonomicon.)

Pictured is an extreme case of wisp infestation, you will most likely see one or two at a time.

(5) A dungeon-like underground structure with spawners, much larger than a normal dungeon.
(Image pending)

This is a Barrow dungeon added by Thaumcraft. It has two or three spawners and several loot chests inside. You should be careful and not break into one unprepared, as it might be a home to wisps and other dark creatures. We strongly recommend not building your base near one. Remember its location, and when you research the Goggles of Revealing come back and investigate it again.

Reactions: unknown zombie

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't really seen anyone clueless about the different ores. I assume most people know that many mods add new resources to the game. And I don't want to fill the OP with trivialities to drown out the things people actually wonder about. This is not a wiki, this is a, forgive the metaphor, thread to end all the "omg guise wat iz diz!?!?" threads.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
I just had an interesting one... Started getting rapid lightning strikes that smacked me several times, killing me and setting my house on fire, with no rain in sight and no thaumcraft messages. Turns out I accidentally created a bee with the "Lightning" effect XD I should probably invest in a beealyzer...

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
That would be really cool. Meanwhile we should start some discussion so that the thread stays around.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I know how to!

Railcraft changed vanilla recip...

oh wait, nobody has ever made a discussion about it... AHA, I know!

Gregtech

Done!

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
:p

does someone have a jar/map of only 1 mod? I have of thaumcraft, already finished all research and the end (without even making a nether portal :p)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Well, is actually cheaper, since it gives you more rails, it just takes a bit more of time. Instead of taking 1 hour of time for a tiny pile or nugget...

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Another couple of Twilight Forest features: small ruined stone buildings sometimes with a chest buried underneath; and Lich towers with killer books, skeletons, and a lich spawner. I heard the Blaze sound effect - not sure if that's the lich or a blaze as I ran away like a big girl's blouse. Oh, and Hollow Hills as well. But, anyone exploring Twilight Forest should really read one of the guides if they want to know what's there.