Forestry - Tree Farm Idiots guide

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I started out ages ago with Tekkit and in that much older version you don't have much of the goodies the current FTB pack has. It's mainly missing Thermal Expansion. I started out with Buildcraft and later on moved to IC2. I liked the IC2 power system much more because you could actually store power. Standard buildcraft engines and conductive pipes just waste any power not being consumed. When I found out about Thermal Expansion I more or less compeltely moved from generating EU to generating MJ (buildcraft) because it's simply more convenient.

It all boils down to personal preferences though but I would really recommend you look into BC power. Coupled with TE energy conduits and REcells it's very easy to set up a nice powergrid. And for transforming that to EU for your IC2 machines you can get a nice 1:1 conversion by smelting cobble into lava and then fueling a Geothermal Generator with that. That's much more efficient than the 6EU you need to generate 2MJ in an electric engine.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
lol i dont really have a choice But to move away from EU.. 90% of the stuff in the beta pack runs off MJ.. the only other option would be to a few reactors.

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. And that's why turtles are borderline cheating :)

I created a program to 'harvest' the big redwood trees. Just a simple LUA program that could handle a tree with a 4x4 base. With 3 diamonds and just an hour worth of programming it was done. It would be easy to extend so that it would cycle and wait for a tree to regrow and drop the wood in a chest but even with manualle starting it I was just swimming in charcoal.
I don't see how that is cheating. You still spent 1 hour learning a coding API to produce a result that meets your expectations immensely. you should feel proud of that.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. And that's why turtles are borderline cheating :)

I created a program to 'harvest' the big redwood trees. Just a simple LUA program that could handle a tree with a 4x4 base. With 3 diamonds and just an hour worth of programming it was done. It would be easy to extend so that it would cycle and wait for a tree to regrow and drop the wood in a chest but even with manualle starting it I was just swimming in charcoal.

The problem isn't the turtle or the program, it's the fact those trees are SO HUGE :)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The problem isn't the turtle or the program, it's the fact those trees are SO HUGE :)

True. It makes such a harvest program way too efficient. I also created a tree farm program that would harvest regular trees and replant saplings that was WAY more complex to build but that didn't come close in yield to it just chopping down a bunch of trees. It would also be pretty trivial to have a turtle check for example 4 tree locations to see if they have regrown.

Ofcourse it's a bit of a time investment to write such a script (and I find it to be a lot of fun, I'm a professional Java coder and doing something new is always interesting) but once you have it you can keep reusing it. And for people who just download those scripts it's no investment at all except 3 diamonds and some basic stuff.