Forestry Saplings

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Badjr

Jul 29, 2019
Recently(soon after the newest Mindcrack patch came out) my friend and I created a new world on our SMP server. So I've gone pretty far around my world so far; I've hit quite a few dungeons, barrow hills, and thaumcraft obelisk outcrops. The one thing I haven't seen in those chests are the Forestry saplings.

The forestry wiki, to my knowledge, is severely lacking on information in this particular area; so I've got a few questions. Is there perhaps a better way to find these? Has it been made so that these trees spawn naturally in the world yet?

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
You don't find the trees spawning naturally in the world. You have to put two different trees near each other and have bees cross pollinate them. You then break discolored leaves with a grafter and you get a sapling. I do believe some saplings are in chests.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry trees most definitely spawn in dungeon/mineshaft/thaum dungeon chests. I've found more than a couple that way.

Badjr

Jul 29, 2019
well, looks like I'll have to expand my world size even more then.

EDIT:
Forestry trees most definitely spawn in dungeon/mineshaft/thaum dungeon chests. I've found more than a couple that way.

I knew they spawned in them, that's how I got them in my old world. I was just wondering if there was a less random and luck-based way to get them these days.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, with bees, which is the intended way... As has been mentioned.

The traits that you're interested in when looking for bees for Tree Breeding are:

Flower Pollination - The faster that trait is, the faster your tree leaves will mutate.

Territory (Area): This area describes the area the bee will pollinate your trees in. (also the area in which they'll detect the proper flowers are planted)

Contrary to popular belief, the trees don't have to be planted right next to each other, they just have to be within the territory of the same bee that's pollinating the tree you want to crossbreed. Bees also don't detect the trunk of the tree, but the leafs, so even if the trunk is outside the pollination area, if at least some of the leaves are in the pollination area, then the tree will have a chance to mutate.

There was a tree breeding chart floating around... Found it: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/tree-breeding-spoilers.7869/

The Maturity trait only affects the speed in which the tree will grow naturally, without the need for bonemeal.

The Sappiness trait is only relevant for trees that produce fruit, and it increases the amount of fruit produced when the tree is harvested in an orchard.

So far, the only unique products i know of, are Walnuts and Chestnuts, produced by the trees of the same name. Walnuts give 0,2 mB of seed oil when squeezed and a 5% chance of mulch, and Chestnuts give 0,22 mB of seed oil when squeezed with the same chance for mulch. BUT, apparently, Chestnuts are produced much faster than Walnuts as well, so that's your go-to source of Seed Oil. If you're into bees, you'll want to get into Tree Breeding and breed yourself a Walnut/Chestnut tree ASAP.

The other woods also have pretty cool looking wood colors, i'd definitely recommend at least Kapok and Baoba. Those two look really, really cool.

EDIT:

Found this in the MCF -> "Saplings in dungeons was a temporary feature until the tree breeding system was fully implemented - you have to breed your trees to get different types now"

Badjr

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, with bees, which is the intended way... As has been mentioned.

The traits that you're interested in when looking for bees for Tree Breeding are:

Flower Pollination - The faster that trait is, the faster your tree leaves will mutate.

Territory (Area): This area describes the area the bee will pollinate your trees in. (also the area in which they'll detect the proper flowers are planted)

Contrary to popular belief, the trees don't have to be planted right next to each other, they just have to be within the territory of the same bee that's pollinating the tree you want to crossbreed. Bees also don't detect the trunk of the tree, but the leafs, so even if the trunk is outside the pollination area, if at least some of the leaves are in the pollination area, then the tree will have a chance to mutate.

There was a tree breeding chart floating around... Found it: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/tree-breeding-spoilers.7869/

The Maturity trait only affects the speed in which the tree will grow naturally, without the need for bonemeal.

The Sappiness trait is only relevant for trees that produce fruit, and it increases the amount of fruit produced when the tree is harvested in an orchard.

So far, the only unique products i know of, are Walnuts and Chestnuts, produced by the trees of the same name. Walnuts give 0,2 mB of seed oil when squeezed and a 5% chance of mulch, and Chestnuts give 0,22 mB of seed oil when squeezed with the same chance for mulch. BUT, apparently, Chestnuts are produced much faster than Walnuts as well, so that's your go-to source of Seed Oil. If you're into bees, you'll want to get into Tree Breeding and breed yourself a Walnut/Chestnut tree ASAP.

The other woods also have pretty cool looking wood colors, i'd definitely recommend at least Kapok and Baoba. Those two look really, really cool.

EDIT:

Found this in the MCF -> "Saplings in dungeons was a temporary feature until the tree breeding system was fully implemented - you have to breed your trees to get different types now"

So I have to breed to get the walnuts then, great that'll work for me.

Another fairly unrelated question; When the minimap for mindcrack switched to the voxelbox minimap entity radar was made available.
For my server, entity radar is enabled and my friend even has it working, but it won't work for me at all. I have it enabled in the config and in the menus client side, it worked for the first few days and then it just kind of stopped. Any ideas?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a very helpful video representation of the cheat sheet i linked:

He goes over every possible mutation you can get with the trees. He does in fact forget one important piece of information in the video, and i pointed it out to him in the comments:

You HAVE to use the Treealyzer in the vanilla trees before they start being able to mutate. If you don't use the Treealyzer in your vanilla oak or birch, it will be unable to mutate. Just a heads up.