Forestry breeding not working

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
OK, my issue is this:
I am trying to breed a white willow tree to make a good biomass tree as suggested by omicron here:
1.) Cross apple oak and birch in a swamp or jungle biome (either works) until you receive a "white willow" sapling. You may receive other species, but they're not important.
2.) Grow your new willow. Harvest yourself a couple saplings so you'll always have some to spare.
3.) Cross apple oak and white willow. There's no species mutation going to happen here, just hybridization. In fact, since the apple oak species trait is recessive and the willow isn't, all resulting saplings will be willows. This is a good thing, because it's the unique canopy shape of the willow that gives it its great output.
4.) Look for a sapling that combines the best traits of both - sapling drop chance of the apple oak, size of the willow, sappiness of the willow. You only need to watch for these three traits, the rest should be identical (but keep an eye out anyway, my memory may be faulty). Also, the hybrid should be apple-bearing in addition to having the right traits. It's simply a game of chance, just keep grafting pollinated leaves until you find the perfect sapling.
5.) Grow your new apple willow. Chop down the tree trunk. Stare in amazement at what happens.

Congratulations! You now have a tree that grows as fast as vanilla apple oaks, generates slightly more wood per tree, drops 10-20 saplings per tree that are all worth three times as much as that of an apple oak, and also drops enough apples to process every single sapling with its own fruit juice (give or take random variance, it's a close call) for that beautiful 50% extra bonus. And of course, you'll have mulch for the fermenters coming out of your ears. The biomass output should be around 6 times that of apple oaks. In addition, it has a very unique, almost spooky look and gives funky green wood... perfect for halloween ;)

Not bad for a quick first foray into tree breeding, no?

Just be mindful of your multifarm - my minimum size one needed two farm hatches in order to be able to output stuff fast enough without overflowing. Larger ones may need three. And make sure it's accessible from below, because the top is going to be one giant cloud of leaves :p

However, I have not received this mutation yet despite grafting well over 20 leaves (NEI says the chance is 10%). I know this tree has to be bred in a damp/warm biome, and when I press F3 the biome listed is 'swampland'. The bee houses I have placed here suggest that this biome has the right traits of warm and damp, and yet my trees do not mutate.

I am guessing that this is a biome dictionary thing, and given that I am playing monster 1.0.4 it may be a bug.

However, if I did somehow get hold of a willow sapling, would it hybridise with other trees even in the 'wrong' biome? Or, even better, is there a way to change the biome that I am in into one which does work?

Anyway, thank you very much for reading my long consulated post :)

EDIT: Apparently swampland is the vanilla biome. I have tested and even with bees pollinating and using pollen (cheated in) I have still not managed to get the white willow. Is it possible that the tree is bugged?

Last edited:

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
It's possibly bugged but I just bred Wenge took about 30 or so to get it, I previously had to breed the acacia it took 20 or so, random chance is random. I think it was Plum that I got on the first cross or maybe Balsa one of them anyway.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but even with many mutated leaves via pollen I still have not received the willow. I think I am just going to have to cheat in the willow, I have probably somehow broken my world with multiple mod pack updates, with biomes o plenty being enabled and disabled many times.

One thing is for sure though, next world I am going with standard terrain generation :D

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but even with many mutated leaves via pollen I still have not received the willow. I think I am just going to have to cheat in the willow, I have probably somehow broken my world with multiple mod pack updates, with biomes o plenty being enabled and disabled many times.

One thing is for sure though, next world I am going with standard terrain generation :D
I used 25 Apple Oak pollen before I got something forget exactly what it was (I trashed all the saplings for whatever it was accidentally lol) so it is random but meh if you want the willow for something specific go for it.
My biomass factory trees are Common Walnuts (with the Mundane Larch leaf shape), that produce apples at average, saplings at high with average sappiness and are larger and have fast maturity, my golem farm has 2 double rows 8 long of these so 32 planted and that is more than enough to require me to void saplings and apples. One tree gives a stack and a half of apples and a stack and a half of saplings so roughly 45 buckets of biomass.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
I used 25 Apple Oak pollen before I got something forget exactly what it was (I trashed all the saplings for whatever it was accidentally lol) so it is random but meh if you want the willow for something specific go for it.
My biomass factory trees are Common Walnuts (with the Mundane Larch leaf shape), that produce apples at average, saplings at high with average sappiness and are larger and have fast maturity, my golem farm has 2 double rows 8 long of these so 32 planted and that is more than enough to require me to void saplings and apples. One tree gives a stack and a half of apples and a stack and a half of saplings so roughly 45 buckets of biomass.

Yeah, I plan in the future to do something really crazy from some post I found somewhere on 'the ultimate forestry tree', but at the moment this is my first time doing tree breeding so I am just doing something basic.

EDIT: Then again, your tree doesn't look too hard to breed :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
OK, my issue is this:
I am trying to breed a white willow tree to make a good biomass tree as suggested by omicron here:

However, I have not received this mutation yet despite grafting well over 20 leaves (NEI says the chance is 10%). I know this tree has to be bred in a damp/warm biome, and when I press F3 the biome listed is 'swampland'. The bee houses I have placed here suggest that this biome has the right traits of warm and damp, and yet my trees do not mutate.

I am guessing that this is a biome dictionary thing, and given that I am playing monster 1.0.4 it may be a bug.

However, if I did somehow get hold of a willow sapling, would it hybridise with other trees even in the 'wrong' biome? Or, even better, is there a way to change the biome that I am in into one which does work?

Anyway, thank you very much for reading my long consulated post :)

EDIT: Apparently swampland is the vanilla biome. I have tested and even with bees pollinating and using pollen (cheated in) I have still not managed to get the white willow. Is it possible that the tree is bugged?

Are you getting any mutation at all? I.e. are you getting silver limes? They trigger off of the same crossbreeding combination. Or are you only getting hybrids?

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Are you getting any mutation at all? I.e. are you getting silver limes? They trigger off of the same crossbreeding combination. Or are you only getting hybrids?

Not using automation, just bee houses. I have received silver lime and even cherry but no white willow. Looking through other tree breeding threads it appears that some other people have had similar problems trying to breed it even with alvearies running on a chunk loaded server. It may just be bugged :(

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That's really odd. I used the exact same Forestry version that's in Monster to breed trees on my private server, back in November, and I got a willow within two cycles of two bee houses with basic marshy bees in a BoP wetlands biome (I believe, some swampy place with lots of mud, definitely not vanilla). I had four birches and four silver limes set up. That was like 10 pollination events or so, I didn't count.

Also, yes, this is one of the bugged BoP biomes in which butterflies to not spawn and do not take flight if brough in from outside. I was still able to breed the willow with bees with very little effort, so bees and pollination events are definitely not affected by the biome incompatibilities between BoP and Forestry.

Frankly, the only thing different between my setups and that of people with problems that consistently shows up every time is that they play very large modpacks, like Unleashed or Monster, while I play selfbuilt packs with slim mod selections (20-30 at most). I can only vaguely guess that some mod(s) that I am not running is/are causing a strange interaction which somehow blocks trees with special breeding requirements. As there are only two, and the Sipiri is both exceedingly difficult and exceedingly pointless to get (unless you really want it for the bragging rights), it always falls back on the willow as being the only symptom.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
That's really odd. I used the exact same Forestry version that's in Monster to breed trees on my private server, back in November, and I got a willow within two cycles of two bee houses with basic marshy bees in a BoP wetlands biome (I believe, some swampy place with lots of mud, definitely not vanilla). I had four birches and four silver limes set up. That was like 10 pollination events or so, I didn't count.

Also, yes, this is one of the bugged BoP biomes in which butterflies to not spawn and do not take flight if brough in from outside. I was still able to breed the willow with bees with very little effort, so bees and pollination events are definitely not affected by the biome incompatibilities between BoP and Forestry.

Frankly, the only thing different between my setups and that of people with problems that consistently shows up every time is that they play very large modpacks, like Unleashed or Monster, while I play selfbuilt packs with slim mod selections (20-30 at most). I can only vaguely guess that some mod(s) that I am not running is/are causing a strange interaction which somehow blocks trees with special breeding requirements. As there are only two, and the Sipiri is both exceedingly difficult and exceedingly pointless to get (unless you really want it for the bragging rights), it always falls back on the willow as being the only symptom.

Oh well, I may just have to cheat one in to start with. Just to check, will hybridisation will work in any biome or does it need to be a wet biome for willow etc.?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Works in any biome. You just need the requirements for the mutation to occur.

The Sipiri is different, it also has special growth requirements. The sapling won't even do anything outside a vanilla jungle biome.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Works in any biome. You just need the requirements for the mutation to occur.

The Sipiri is different, it also has special growth requirements. The sapling won't even do anything outside a vanilla jungle biome.

OK thanks for the help. Now all I have to do is follow your guide!