Forestry Apiary not accepting Hopper for frames

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
hey.
i am using the Direwolf20 1.12 pack (modpack version 1.10)
while using the exact same direwolf pack (maybe earlier version), i know that i was able to hopper frames in.
now it does not accept frames from a hopper or itemduct. only bees can go in there.
is there a way to fix this?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
hey.
i am using the Direwolf20 1.12 pack (modpack version 1.10)
while using the exact same direwolf pack (maybe earlier version), i know that i was able to hopper frames in.
now it does not accept frames from a hopper or itemduct. only bees can go in there.
is there a way to fix this?
Unfortunately frame automation is explicitly disabled. I believe (but am not certain) that Alvearies with Extra Bees allows frame automation.

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
okay. never heard of that. but thanks for the info.
not easy to get the alvearies though. you need quite a few mutations for the ingredients first.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
As far as i know, frame automation in apairies is disabled in Forestry. That said, I have heard of things that insert into slot numbers being able to insert frames in.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Cheers guys, that's useful to know! I won't try that if I do Forestry in 1.10+ - though I'm a lot more likely to try Forestry now!

I'm currently bees-deep in Forestry on a 1.7.10 pack, and just starting to build my first alveary components - I've never delved into it before past basic stuff in Agrarian Skies, so its all pretty novel. The bee breeding stuff can be tricky, but its also quite fun - especially with ChC's lifecycle acceleration frames. Have you tried doing the genetics stuff from Binnie's in 1.7.10? That differs... quite considerably... from the 1.6.4 version. I think I know what to do? :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Cheers guys, that's useful to know! I won't try that if I do Forestry in 1.10+ - though I'm a lot more likely to try Forestry now!

I'm currently bees-deep in Forestry on a 1.7.10 pack, and just starting to build my first alveary components - I've never delved into it before past basic stuff in Agrarian Skies, so its all pretty novel. The bee breeding stuff can be tricky, but its also quite fun - especially with ChC's lifecycle acceleration frames. Have you tried doing the genetics stuff from Binnie's in 1.7.10? That differs... quite considerably... from the 1.6.4 version. I think I know what to do? :p
I'm only familiar with the "genetics stuff" from Gendustry really. What are you referring to?

Bee breeding is definitely 100000x easier if you can leverage acceleration of some sort.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm only familiar with the "genetics stuff" from Gendustry really. What are you referring to?
Have you not used it at all? OK, so in 1.6, there were machines for isolating genes from bees, in a similar way to the manner gendustry did. Likewise, you could innoculate genes into bees. You required serums for this, and those could be of different qualities; filling the serums lowed the quality, so you had to fill them, them purify them, before you used them. I think bee DNA was used somewhere. However, you couldn't choose mutations in the way that Gendustry allows.

In the 1.7.10 version, its considerably more complex...! Lemme bullet point this.
  • You need to make enzyme (which uses three separate incubators
    • Water + growth medium (bonemeal + sugar) --> liquid growth medium
    • Liquid growth medium + wheat --> Bacteria
    • Bacteria + sugar --> Enzyme
  • Use that with ethanol in an Isolator to get sequences
  • (optionally) place sequence into a polymeriser with polymerising bacteria & liquid DNA to increase its strength and make sequencing faster (apparently, its still damn slow)
  • Analyse these (slowly) in a Sequencer to add DNA sequences (genes, basically) to your Gene Database
  • You click an empty serum vial on a sequence in the database to assign it to the vial
  • Fill the serum using liquid DNA (obtained from liquefying bees in a Genepool) and polymerising bacteria (made using the bacteria with bonemeal in the third incubator)
  • Separate to this, you need to build Hatchery blocks for your Alveary and use bees in it to get a species Larvae
  • Use larvae and bacterial vector (again, made with bacteria, but this time adding blaze powder) to (slowly) add genes to the larvae
  • Use the larvae in (another) Incubator with liquid growth medium to turn it into a drone.
  • Breed drone(s) with princess to get your improved bee!
Note: Edits made to clarify process.

Bee breeding is definitely 100000x easier if you can leverage acceleration of some sort.
THIS. :D Those frames are super nice, and fairly early in ChromatiCraft too.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordPINE and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Have you not used it at all? OK, so in 1.6, there were machines for isolating genes from bees, in a similar way to the manner gendustry did. Likewise, you could innoculate genes into bees. You required serums for this, and those could be of different qualities; filling the serums lowed the quality, so you had to fill them, them purify them, before you used them. I think bee DNA was used somewhere. However, you couldn't choose mutations in the way that Gendustry allows.

In the 1.7.10 version, its considerably more complex...! Lemme bullet point this.
  • You need to make enzyme (which uses three separate incubators)
  • Use that with ethanol in an Isolator to get sequences
  • Analyse these (slowly) in a Sequencer to add DNA sequences (genes, basically) to your Gene Database
  • You click an empty serum vial on a sequence in the database to assign it to the vial
  • Fill the serum using liquid DNA (obtained from liquefying bees in a Genepool) and polymerising bacteria (made using the same process as enzyme but with a different final ingredient)
  • Separate to this, you need to build Hatchery blocks for your Alveary and use bees in it to get a species Larvae
  • Use larvae and bacterial vector (like the polymerising bacteria but a different final ingredient again) to (slowly) add genes to the larvae
  • Use the larvae in (another) Incubator with liquid growth medium (obtained from one of the intermediate stages of the enzyme/bacteria production above) to turn it into (I think) a drone.
  • Breed drone(s) with princess to get your improved bee!
NOTE: you may get princesses instead of drones, not sure.
Actually now that you mention, I've totally seen that stuff done. I just somehow never managed to use it myself (wrong modpacks) and utterly forgot it was even a thing. It looks cool though.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Actually now that you mention, I've totally seen that stuff done. I just somehow never managed to use it myself (wrong modpacks) and utterly forgot it was even a thing. It looks cool though.
See, I'd only seen the older version, and not the newer one (which isn't super well documented) so its been a real baptism of fire! Fun though :) You really do have to work for it (like all bee stuff) but that makes it worthwhile for me.

Oh also: I think there's an extra step involving the sequences, and I honestly cannot remember what it is.

EDIT: I think its something to do with the sequences being faint - not sure if that actually does anything though! Never mind, I know what it is - previous post edited to clarify

Last edited:

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Bees have always been one of those things that, to me, are super fun... Once. I remember building all the way up in 1.64 AgSkys, then again in AgSkys2, 1.7.10.
Then Going back to vanilla Forestry in one of the DireWolf packs, 1.8 I think. Since then I've avoided Bees and either skipped them or cheated in the required result to progress past the quests.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I think that's it - having not really properly done bees before, I find I am enjoying it! Doing it more than once, I'm not sure I would.

And I don't think anything could drive me to enjoy tree breeding.